PDA

View Full Version : Sox Sign 1st Round Pick

hold2dibber
06-17-2003, 04:48 PM
According to the Tribune, the Sox have signed first round draft choice Brian Anderson and assigned him to Great Falls. Terms not yet disclosed.

For those registered with the Trib, here's the link:

Sox sign 1st round pick (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-030617soxanderson,1,175131.story?coll=cs-home-headlines)

Hangar18
06-17-2003, 04:55 PM
this is very good news. Ive been used to 1st round guys in the news like your Mark Priors (not only demands 10 million up front, but wants it in small, unmarked bills) and Bobby Hills (holds out for 4 million, believes hes the next "thing") holding out for the
Big Money. It sure is nice to hear this.

Randar68
06-17-2003, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
According to the Tribune, the Sox have signed first round draft choice Brian Anderson and assigned him to Great Falls. Terms not yet disclosed.

For those registered with the Trib, here's the link:

Sox sign 1st round pick (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-030617soxanderson,1,175131.story?coll=cs-home-headlines)

Official Sox Press Release (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_press_release.jsp?ymd=20030617&content_id=379323&vkey=pr_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cha)

Terms not disclosed, but it's almost certainly +/- $100,000 of $1.45 million.

doublem23
06-17-2003, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
this is very good news. Ive been used to 1st round guys in the news like your Mark Priors (not only demands 10 million up front, but wants it in small, unmarked bills) and Bobby Hills (holds out for 4 million, believes hes the next "thing") holding out for the
Big Money. It sure is nice to hear this.

... or it means that the Sox just draft on "signability" rather than on actual talent or need.

hose
06-17-2003, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
... or it means that the Sox just draft on "signability" rather than on actual talent or need.

Anderson is a legit 1st round pick

Blueprint1
06-17-2003, 08:05 PM
do we always have to find something negative.

doublem23
06-17-2003, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by Blueprint1
do we always have to find something negative.

With the clowns we have running the show, nothing surprises me.

Anderson is sweet, but man they had better pony up and ink Sweeney.

Hangar18
06-17-2003, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
With the clowns we have running the show, nothing surprises me.

Anderson is sweet, but man they had better pony up and ink Sweeney.

Mr Reinsdorf.....INK UP!

Randar68
06-18-2003, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Mr Reinsdorf.....INK UP!

They'll sign Sweeney, I'm pretty confident in that.

Veal won't sign, he's intent on going to Arizona after the Sox offerred him $500,000 in the 4 or 5 round, and he turned that down. They've offerred the same at his current draft position, but he wants more and the Sox won't offer much more. He wants to be a doctor IIRC and would like to get his degree before pursuing pro ball.

Everything's been quiet on the Moviel front. I hope they make a move on him. His brother's already been assigned to Great Falls.

Nothing on Hodges either, another tough sign.

If the Sox sign Sweeney and one of the others, I'll be very happy.

Randar68
06-18-2003, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by Randar68
Official Sox Press Release (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_press_release.jsp?ymd=20030617&content_id=379323&vkey=pr_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cha)

Terms not disclosed, but it's almost certainly +/- $100,000 of $1.45 million.

Signed for a 1.6 million signing bonus, slightly above slot.

hose
06-18-2003, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by Randar68
They'll sign Sweeney, I'm pretty confident in that.

Veal won't sign, he's intent on going to Arizona after the Sox offerred him $500,000 in the 4 or 5 round, and he turned that down. They've offerred the same at his current draft position, but he wants more and the Sox won't offer much more. He wants to be a doctor IIRC and would like to get his degree before pursuing pro ball.

Everything's been quiet on the Moviel front. I hope they make a move on him. His brother's already been assigned to Great Falls.

Nothing on Hodges either, another tough sign.

If the Sox sign Sweeney and one of the others, I'll be very happy.

Randar I read that Sweeney commited to SDSU a while back.

It sounds like you are pretty confident he will sign with the Sox, any specific reasons or just a gut reaction?

It's good to hear that you and daver are giving the Sox kudos on their draft.

Daver
06-18-2003, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by hose

It's good to hear that you and daver are giving the Sox kudos on their draft.

Don't put a whole lot of stake into what I say concerning this,Randar and Vic stride where I crawl when it comes to prospects.

I have read that Sweeney would prefer to play pro ball than attend college,but only if the money is right.

:)

TRL
06-18-2003, 11:18 PM
After Sweeney was drafted he was interviewed by a local TV station here in Iowa and he seemed pretty happy to have been drafted by the Sox and showed almost no desire to go to college.

Randar68
06-18-2003, 11:58 PM
Originally posted by TRL
After Sweeney was drafted he was interviewed by a local TV station here in Iowa and he seemed pretty happy to have been drafted by the Sox and showed almost no desire to go to college.

From everything that has been said, I am going by his reaction and previous words...

Iowa high schoolers have been looked down on quite a bit, and Sweeney slid because of a poor workout at one of the draft showcases. However, Jeff CLement did the same last year and absolutely destroyed PAC-10 pitching as a Freshman (21 HR's and an avg near .300). The Sox will sign him, as they got a good value on their first round pick and Sweeney is also a first round talent. They haven't overspent on any of their picks to date, so this is like a free pick at the start of the supplemental round, IMO). They have budgeted their money well with guys like Veal, Hodges and Moviel as backup plans. I don't know that we'll see Hodges or Moviel sign, but if either does, it will be icing on a very good draft. They had some good DFE picks as well, so keep your eyes open before the draft next year to see if they sign any of them if they have good seasons.