PDA

View Full Version : Trading Colon

balboner
06-17-2003, 12:03 PM
ESPN insider has a blurb that the Red Sox might be interested in trading for Colon. In a month, if the Sox are 10 games back or more, they should try and trade Colon and a reliever like Flash for Freddie Sanchez. This would give us a SS for next year and the future, and would help their bullpen, as well as give them another ace. It's very unlikely Sox would actually resign Colon anyways.

MarkEdward
06-17-2003, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by balboner
ESPN insider has a blurb that the Red Sox might be interested in trading for Colon. In a month, if the Sox are 10 games back or more, they should try and trade Colon and a reliever like Flash for Freddie Sanchez. This would give us a SS for next year and the future, and would help their bullpen, as well as give them another ace. It's very unlikely Sox would actually resign Colon anyways.

But starting pitching isn't really Boston's weak point. Pedro is still very good, Lowe will get better as the season progresses, and Kim and Fossum have been about average. To them, Colon wouldn't be worth giving up Sanchez. And they definitely wouldn't give him up for Gordon, straight up.

Gumshoe
06-17-2003, 12:31 PM
I think this question totally depends on how both teams view Colon's potential to re-sign --- with either team. Yes, this Sanchez guy is very good. But the Red Sox are whores at trying to catch up with the Yanks, so they might do it. It wouldn't be that bad of a move if we think a lot about Sanchez, but the Sox rotation if they can save Colon somehow would be VERY formidable. As I've said before, let's trade Koch. Let's face it, we got totally duped in that Foulke deal, and Koch isn't as good as Marte ... some team always needs a closer during trade season. Let's move him and get something.

Foulke You
06-17-2003, 12:59 PM
I think the Red Sox need bullpen help more than starters. They may target guys like Gordon and Koch on the White Sox if they are indeed interested in dealing with us. Maybe we can trade Rick White for Sanchez straight up?

ScottyTheSoxFan
06-17-2003, 01:19 PM
if we re sign colon, then next years rotation should be really good. colon has done what we have needed him to do. he goes out and pitches, bottom line. he gives the team a chance to win. if JR would dish out some $$$ to bartolo, next years rotation could be....

Colon
Buehrle
Loaiza
Garland
Wright/Rauch/?

that is a competitive rotation assuming buehrle is back to himself and loaiza is not fooling us right now.

MRKARNO
06-17-2003, 02:00 PM
The way Colon's been going this year, there's no reason to think that he should sign for much more than the 8 mil he's getting this year. I think if the sox offered him 10-11 mil for 5 years, he'd take it

MHOUSE
06-17-2003, 02:10 PM
Why would he stay here when he could pitch for the Yankees? With Clemens, Wells, Hitchcock, and Weaver likely gone next season they'll have rotation spots to fill. Colon is more than likely going to end up there no matter who he finishes this season with. If Boston did trade for him then they could move Kim to the bullpen and have Pedro, Colon, Lowe, and Fossum to start. Either way Colon is going to improve any team he goes to, even one with starting pitching all ready. As someone said I think Koch would be valuable to St. Louis, Boston, San Fran, Seattle, there are plenty of places with closer troubles that he could go. Anyone who a contender could use if up for sale IMO. Keep Olivo, Crede, and some of the younger talent. Stockpile prospects and rebuild.

thecell
06-17-2003, 02:16 PM
Stockpile prospects and rebuild.

I'm sick of rebuilding. Let's fire KW and get a GM who knows how to RETOOL.

Thunderstruck30
06-17-2003, 02:56 PM
Give Colon whatever he wants. We should definitely keep him.

gosox41
06-17-2003, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
The way Colon's been going this year, there's no reason to think that he should sign for much more than the 8 mil he's getting this year. I think if the sox offered him 10-11 mil for 5 years, he'd take it

At that level they'd be over paying him. I'd go with about $8.5-9 mill for 4-5 years.

Bob

MRKARNO
06-17-2003, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by gosox41
At that level they'd be over paying him. I'd go with about $8.5-9 mill for 4-5 years.

Bob

We'd have to overpay him to keep him out of the hands of the big pocketbook clubs.

Also could somebody cut and paste the ESPN insider article about Boston and Colon?

Gumshoe
06-17-2003, 04:27 PM
With that age/body we would only sign him 3 years more MAX. JR just wouldn't do it ... and neither would I, to be honest. 3 years would be perfect.

Gum

thezeker
06-17-2003, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by Gumshoe
As I've said before, let's trade Koch. Let's face it, we got totally duped in that Foulke deal, and Koch isn't as good as Marte ... some team always needs a closer during trade season. Let's move him and get something.

Amen!!! Every time Koch pitches it is just a disaster waiting to happen! He's lost his fastball and he's really not a finesse pitcher.

I believe Marte has the stuff and the temperament to be one of the best relievers in baseball. I do not see why Manuel refuses to see this and misuses him!

If we fall more than 10 games back package Koch and Colon and Boston will probably give us what we want. I just wish we had someone other than KW to cut the deal.

Gumshoe
06-17-2003, 04:55 PM
Well said, Zeker

Marte is far superior. I'll pose the question again. Is there a better left handed reliever in the game than Marte?

Wagner is the ONLY name you can argue. Marte is lights out when used properly and actually allowed to warm up --- against both LH and RH hitters. Get a clue, Jerry & Kenny!

But Koch is KW's boy, so I wouldn't expect anything to happen there ... he's stubborn and feels stupid for letting a real reliever like Foulke go. There's a guy who can actually PITCH.

Gumshoe :D:

doublem23
06-17-2003, 05:36 PM
What the Sox need to do to compete in '04

1) Resign Colon... Buehrle/Colon/Loaiza/Garland is shaping up to be a dominant 1-2-3-4 punch at the start of the rotation. There is no logical baseball reason to let any of these guys go. Pitching wins.

2) Give Manos his walking papers and find a shortstop... I can't even think of who will be available (outside of Tejada, but that won't happen), but we really need someone to step up here.

3) Get rid of Rowand and find a centerfielder... Preferably someone who can hit lead-off as well. But at least get someone who can hit and defend.

4) Get rid of Paul Konerko... God dammit, Williams. Nice job signing this sack of crap to an extension and flushing your money down the ****ter. "Small-market" teams like us can't afford to make mistakes like that. Should have let Konerko walk after last season or whatever.

5) Resign Frank... Anyone who contests this needs to take their head and slam it repeadetly into a brick wall in vain hopes that maybe your intelligence will climb.

6) Get rid of Carlos Lee... Another slow-footed, bad-instincts, P.O.S. wasting our time. Someone will take him for his bat. Get a real player and keep left field nice and warm for Joey B.

Hangar18
06-17-2003, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
We'd have to overpay him to keep him out of the hands of the big pocketbook clubs.

Also could somebody cut and paste the ESPN insider article about Boston and Colon?

WHICH IS WHY WE SIGN HIM NOW, before his price goes up.
Baseball is an easy game actually. Its just the SOX havnt
figured this out. KW will do the same tired and predictable
thing and "see how the year plays out" or "see if were in it" or
"wait" til the end of the year and let the Yankees Outbid them
for a pitcher of his Caliber. The White Sox as an organization can be pretty Stupid sometimes. They'll let him go...then they'll
realize next yr they need a Dominant #1 or #2 Starter, and will then OVER PAY to get somone just like him.

***NEWSFLASH to Kenny and JR******* Why dont you just
KEEP Colon, and fill in the other holes you have on the team??
This way, your that much closer to having a Dominant Playoff
Bound Team. Its what all the Good Teams Do. Try it
sometime, I guarantee you it will work.

spanishwhite
06-18-2003, 01:43 AM
Colon AND Gordon for Sanchez

That sounds like a KW move if anything.

There are many teams looking for relief and
between Walker and rumors of Alomar going to
Boston its not like Sanchez is not expendable.

I would make Boston throw in another prospect or
player to be named later if I were desperate.

We should be trying to resign Colon, if we cant, then take
the compensation pick.

If we trade Colon, it should be for top value, not as good
as the Indians got, but something real good.

Atlanta and New York are desperate for relief. Gordon could
pull a decent prospect from one of them.

soxtalker
06-18-2003, 06:51 AM
Just took a look at the description of Sanchez on ESPN. Nice player. Would probably help, but they say that scouts have him pegged as a second baseman.

Iguana775
06-18-2003, 08:53 AM
Colon and PK for Manny and Sanchez?

Hullett_Fan
06-18-2003, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by doublem23
What the Sox need to do to compete in '04

1) Resign Colon... Buehrle/Colon/Loaiza/Garland is shaping up to be a dominant 1-2-3-4 punch at the start of the rotation. There is no logical baseball reason to let any of these guys go. Pitching wins.

2) Give Manos his walking papers and find a shortstop... I can't even think of who will be available (outside of Tejada, but that won't happen), but we really need someone to step up here.

3) Get rid of Rowand and find a centerfielder... Preferably someone who can hit lead-off as well. But at least get someone who can hit and defend.

4) Get rid of Paul Konerko... God dammit, Williams. Nice job signing this sack of crap to an extension and flushing your money down the ****ter. "Small-market" teams like us can't afford to make mistakes like that. Should have let Konerko walk after last season or whatever.

5) Resign Frank... Anyone who contests this needs to take their head and slam it repeadetly into a brick wall in vain hopes that maybe your intelligence will climb.

6) Get rid of Carlos Lee... Another slow-footed, bad-instincts, P.O.S. wasting our time. Someone will take him for his bat. Get a real player and keep left field nice and warm for Joey B.

Ditto all of that....especially #4. What a waste Konerko is. Can't imagine any team will take him unless we pull something like the Flubs did when they dumped Hundley on LA.

Konerko and a prospect to San Diego for Rondell White and Mark Loretta?????

spanishwhite
06-18-2003, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by Hullett_Fan
Ditto all of that....especially #4. What a waste Konerko is. Can't imagine any team will take him unless we pull something like the Flubs did when they dumped Hundley on LA.

Konerko and a prospect to San Diego for Rondell White and Mark Loretta?????

That's an interesting idea, but that deal is a little lopsided in our favor.

Loretta and White are underrated players but the Padres know their value.