PDA

View Full Version : How can a MLB team be so poor in fundamentals?

JUGGERNAUT
06-17-2003, 11:29 AM
I really want to know the answer.

I think of all the years these players must have played baseball before reaching the MLs. How many instructors they must have had.

How is it that they can go through all those years & then the CWS mLs & yet still reach MLB as fundamentally poor baseball players?

Rowand misjudges balls hit over his head but before the warning track in CF.
Rowand misjudges when he should & should not run from 2B.

DAngelo is the bobble king of the IF this year.

I think the team is butt ugly poor in base running.
I think the catchers are butt ugly poor in blocking home plate.

I expect fielding errors with these little leaguers but not base running & basic catcher fundamentals.

HOW DOES THIS HAPPEN?

HOW THE HELL DO WE FIX THIS?

Lip Man 1
06-17-2003, 11:45 AM
How does this happen?

Poor teachers in the minor leagues, poor teachers at the major league level and frankly players who just aren't that damn good.

How do we fix this?

Spending money to get quality players via free agency and having a GM who can make good trades would be a great way to start don't you think?

Like my late father used to say, "you get what you pay for..."

Lip

Dadawg_77
06-17-2003, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
How do we fix this?

Spending money to get quality players via free agency and having a GM who can make good trades would be a great way to start don't you think?

Like my late father used to say, "you get what you pay for..."

Lip

Lip the answer is getting tons of FA but fixing the minor league system. Get better falcalites, better teachers and better system at acquiring talent to fill it. That is how you build a winning team from the ground up not from the top down.

Dan H
06-17-2003, 01:22 PM
You would think after all this time, the White Sox would be asking themselves why their pitchers keep coming up with sore arms and their every day players can't run the bases. If you believe in building from the ground up, then you need to have the best coaches and instructors available. Is that the true with the Sox?
Secondly, even if you believe in youth movements, you still will have to be aggressive in the free agent market. That is reality no matter how distasteful. Regardless, you can't cheap your way through.

MRKARNO
06-17-2003, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
How does this happen?

:KW
:reinsy