PDA

View Full Version : Ladewski on Thomas

rahulsekhar
06-17-2003, 09:30 AM
Paul Ladewski suggests dealing Frank while he's hot because he likely won't return and because he'll bring something of value back. While I dispute some of his contentions (including noting Frank's summary last 2 years totals without mentioning that he was hurt for 1 of those years and believing that Frank doesn't care about retiring in a ChiSox uni), he has a very interesting and appealing idea of a 3-way trade in which a large-market team gets Frank and the Sox get Beltran.

Thoughts on this? Perhaps something like
Braves: Get Frank, trade D. Moss+W.Betemit
Royals: Get Moss+Betemit, trade Beltran
Sox: Trade Frank, get Beltran

Also - what's the contract deal with Frank. I've seen in different places that he can opt to stay for 6, or the team can opt to keep him for 8, but also that he can opt to become an FA. Anyone got the breakdown here?h

rahulsekhar
06-17-2003, 09:31 AM
I should say that while I hate to lose Frank and would really love him to retire a ChiSox, getting Beltran (assuming we'd resign him), is one thing that could make me deal him.

TornLabrum
06-17-2003, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by rahulsekhar
Also - what's the contract deal with Frank. I've seen in different places that he can opt to stay for 6, or the team can opt to keep him for 8, but also that he can opt to become an FA. Anyone got the breakdown here?h

Frank has the first option. He can opt to renew at $6 million. If he does not, the Sox have the right to renew at $8 million. If the Sox don't, Frank is a free agent.

hold2dibber
06-17-2003, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by rahulsekhar
Paul Ladewski suggests dealing Frank while he's hot because he likely won't return and because he'll bring something of value back. While I dispute some of his contentions (including noting Frank's summary last 2 years totals without mentioning that he was hurt for 1 of those years and believing that Frank doesn't care about retiring in a ChiSox uni), he has a very interesting and appealing idea of a 3-way trade in which a large-market team gets Frank and the Sox get Beltran.

Thoughts on this? Perhaps something like
Braves: Get Frank, trade D. Moss+W.Betemit
Royals: Get Moss+Betemit, trade Beltran
Sox: Trade Frank, get Beltran

(1) Who is Paul Ladewski?

(2) Paul Ladewski apparently doesn't know that Damian Moss is not on the Braves; he's on the Giants.

(3) If Frank continues to hit well this year, he'll be back with the Sox next year.

(4) I would only touch Beltran if I knew I could sign him to a long term deal. His agent is Boras. Therefore, the Sox can't sign him to a long term deal. Therefore, I wouldn't trade for Beltran.

hold2dibber
06-17-2003, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
Frank has the first option. He can opt to renew at $6 million. If he does not, the Sox have the right to renew at $8 million. If the Sox don't, Frank is a free agent.

I also thought there was a buy-out clause in the deal. I can't remember if it is Frank's or the team's, but I thought somebody could pay X number of dollars to just buy out the contract. Any recollection of that?

Gumshoe
06-17-2003, 10:02 AM
The odds of dealing Frank are as good as they are dumping Jerry Manuel: slim to none, and I'm sorry for both (though the latter more than the former). The Sox just won't do it. You think KW ever listens to reason? They'll finish a close second this year, and then blame the fans for not coming ... again. There were 30K there last night! Good atmosphere, nice game.

Gumshoe

spanishwhite
06-17-2003, 10:05 AM
Moss pitches for the Giants.

voodoochile
06-17-2003, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
I also thought there was a buy-out clause in the deal. I can't remember if it is Frank's or the team's, but I thought somebody could pay X number of dollars to just buy out the contract. Any recollection of that?

That is only in the final year of the contract where the Sox can pay Frank $2M instead of picking up the option for $11M. Frank doesn't have an option that year. He either gets the $2M and becomes a FA or gets the $11M and stays with the Sox.

If they trade Frank now, I quit this team until JR sells...

34 Inch Stick
06-17-2003, 11:51 AM
To me the contract was designed to keep Frank here for 3 more years. If he sucks he takes the option. If he is great the Sox take the option (knowing it is for only one year anyway).

Other thoughts on a trade of Frank,1) isn't the contract guaranteed if he gets traded and 2) Frank as a 5 and 10 can refuse any trade.

hold2dibber
06-17-2003, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick
Frank as a 5 and 10 can refuse any trade.

Unless he waived that right when he signed the new contract (I think -- unless that is an "unwaivable" right under the CBA).