PDA

View Full Version : i know it worked out fine but...

fquaye149
06-17-2003, 07:53 AM
...willie harris leading off? what kind of twisted thoughts are going thru manuel's mind to bump a respectable leadoff hitter for a guy on the opposite side of the mendoza line from wade boggs' career avg?

gosox41
06-17-2003, 08:18 AM
Originally posted by fquaye149
...willie harris leading off? what kind of twisted thoughts are going thru manuel's mind to bump a respectable leadoff hitter for a guy on the opposite side of the mendoza line from wade boggs' career avg?

The Tinkerer has 3 easy outs in the line up last night:
Konerko
Harris
Paul

JM needs to play his best hitters until the team starts hitting better. I saw a stat that said the team batted all of .253 last week and averaged just over 4 runs a game. It may be an improvement, but hardly what I expect of the Sox offense.

Bob

NewyorkSoxFan
06-17-2003, 08:36 AM
I am in full agreement that JM "tinkers" way too much, but my god give the guy some credit. We all complained on Sunday that Rowand sucks and he single-handedly kept us from at least tying that game if not winning it, with his "Lou Brockian" baserunning. NOT!!

So he puts in Harris his only other option and we rip him for that. It's not like he has Griffey on the bench over there. And the guy went 2 for 3, and actually bunted his way on when everyone else is swinging from there heels. (that's a novel idea)

If you don't like JM, fine, but PLEASE can we stop psycho analyzing everything he does.

NYSF

delben91
06-17-2003, 08:53 AM
I was gone for a couple of weeks there, why is Paul back up with the team? Is Alomar on the D.L.? Or, heaven forbid, Olivo?

TornLabrum
06-17-2003, 09:41 AM
J. Hood on the score last night: In 68 games, Gen. Disarray has had 60 different lineups.

ScottyTheSoxFan
06-17-2003, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by delben91
I was gone for a couple of weeks there, why is Paul back up with the team? Is Alomar on the D.L.? Or, heaven forbid, Olivo?

yep, SanDLomar is hurt again.

:sandy
"2 months DL free to start the year, what more can you ask?"

Gumshoe
06-17-2003, 09:57 AM
I'll give JM credit because last night things WORKED. But if he thinks that Willie can hack it at this level (offensively and D-wise) he is kidding himself. I could be wrong, but Harris's only chance to get a hit in four at bats consistently is by bunting. He shocked the hell out of me by getting that single, just as Paul did on the single up the middle (which by the way, give Konerko credit, he scored and got a good jump).

I think Manuel is a nimwit, and being an optimistic fan in general, this fact won't allow me to tease myself with "Sox chances of getting back in the race". However, with the starting pitching we have, I can't imagine we won't win at least at a .550 clip the rest of the year.

Another crazy thing is that whenever I see Boston, who supposedly is this "good team", come into town, they never look that good. I mean, Millar, Mueller, Sanchez, Damian Jackson? What? They pull these guys out of their a$$ just like the Cubs. it's crazy.

Gum

ps- cheers for Buehrle. I never doubted he'd be back. But count on Manuel mishandling the bullpen for another couple losses towards Buerhle the rest of the season.

spanishwhite
06-17-2003, 10:11 AM
I say enjoy the win.

Manuel is going to be Manuel.
No need to keep repeating the obvious.

voodoochile
06-17-2003, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by gosox41
The Tinkerer has 3 easy outs in the line up last night:
Konerko
Harris
Paul

JM needs to play his best hitters until the team starts hitting better. I saw a stat that said the team batted all of .253 last week and averaged just over 4 runs a game. It may be an improvement, but hardly what I expect of the Sox offense.

Bob

Aside from Crede those were the Sox 3 best hitters. Harris at least smacked one into the ground twice last night and nearly reached base 3 times. If he can keep that up, he can stay in the leadoff slot for all I care.

PaleHoseGeorge
06-17-2003, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
J. Hood on the score last night: In 68 games, Gen. Disarray has had 60 different lineups.

What makes this all the more damning is the obvious fact that nobody-- not even Manuel, himself-- can possibly know which of these 60 different lineups are better than the others. NOBODY can possibly know because Manuel tries something else practically every game of the year. :(:

This behavior is totally indefensible, especially since the Sox have suffered minimal DL time on the roster. It's insanity to tinker with a lineup this much and the ballplayers themselves cannot help but be negatively affected.

I'm sure glad Manuel is under contract for another year. His guaranteed contract seems to be his #1 qualification for keeping his job. :angry:

:reinsy
"This of course-- as always-- is YOUR fault."

MarkEdward
06-17-2003, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by Gumshoe

Another crazy thing is that whenever I see Boston, who supposedly is this "good team", come into town, they never look that good. I mean, Millar, Mueller, Sanchez, Damian Jackson? What? They pull these guys out of their a$$ just like the Cubs. it's crazy.

To be fair, they were playing without Trot Nixon and Todd Walker (who both stink against lefties).

Foulke You
06-17-2003, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
What makes this all the more damning is the obvious fact that nobody-- not even Manuel, himself-- can possibly know which of these 60 different lineups are better than the others. NOBODY can possibly know because Manuel tries something else practically every game of the year. :(:

There was an interesting factoid in yesterday's Sun-Times that said that not only have the Sox used 60 different lineups in 68 games but what was even more interesting is that we HAVEN'T used the same lineup back to back ONCE this season. NOT EVEN ONCE!! What manager besides ours subscribes to this shuffle the lineup card every day philosophy? Unbelievable that this guy still has a job!

:jerry
"When I prepare my lineup card, I like to put names in a hat and if you are one of the lucky nine players, you get to play!"

:manos
"I've batted #2, #5, #6, #7, and lead off this year. Thanks for letting me know my role and get into a groove skip!"

fquaye149
06-17-2003, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by NewyorkSoxFan
I am in full agreement that JM "tinkers" way too much, but my god give the guy some credit. We all complained on Sunday that Rowand sucks and he single-handedly kept us from at least tying that game if not winning it, with his "Lou Brockian" baserunning. NOT!!

So he puts in Harris his only other option and we rip him for that. It's not like he has Griffey on the bench over there. And the guy went 2 for 3, and actually bunted his way on when everyone else is swinging from there heels. (that's a novel idea)

If you don't like JM, fine, but PLEASE can we stop psycho analyzing everything he does.

NYSF

i'm not saying that harris shouldn't play...my issue is batting a guy hitting a buck with like 60% of his outs as k's leadoff.