PDA

View Full Version : Cardinals Bullpen is a joke

MHOUSE
06-17-2003, 12:46 AM
I was at the Brewers-Cards game tonight and man does St. Louis need help in their bullpen. Kiko Calero struck out 8 batters in five innings and was up 4-1 before Fassero, Eldred, and Kline combined to blow the lead to the tune of EIGHT RUNS! That included a seven-run 7th inning. Fassero gave up a solo shot, Eldred gave up four runs and Kline (who could barely throw a strike) three runs. LaRussa had Yan up in the pen, but he's not the guy you want trying to put out a fire. They have nobody.

Koch, Gordon, Wunsch, even White would all help them immensely I think in their push to challenge the Flubs and 'Stros. Unless the Sox miraculously start beating good teams (the Twinkies included) and playing well, then when we unload near the deadline I think St. Louis will come calling.

On a side note, three of the home runs in the game were hit to left field where I was sitting. One was two rows up and a few seats over left from me and the guy gloved it easily, but dropped it back over the railing to the field :o: . He really biffed it and everyone let him have it, poor guy. What a chump though, my grandmother could have caught that ball. The other was like 6 or 7 seats to my right. Great seats, I really like Miller Park.

hold2dibber
06-17-2003, 07:58 AM
The question is, what do the Cardinals have to offer? The three guys that would really seem to fit well for the Sox (Renteria, Drew and Edmonds) are all probably close to untouchable (or at least would take a hell of a lot more than a middle reliever to get). Do they have near-MLB-ready prospects at SS, CF or SP? I wouldn't trade any of the Sox' bullpen just for the sake of trading.

MHOUSE
06-17-2003, 04:39 PM
I looked at their AAA roster and they have a catcher hitting .400 (only a few games though) and a couple of ok pitching prospects. It's unlikely they would move Renteria because they'd be filling a hole and also creating one. I think we'd need a 3-way deal to get anything by trading with them. Cards get Gordon, we get Beltran, KC gets Drew? Throw some prospects into that and maybe there's something.