PDA

View Full Version : Reinsdorf on the name Comiskey

Thunderstruck30
06-17-2003, 12:32 AM
I was at a sports shop in Whiting today and bought a Sox yearbook from 91. Obviously they had an article on the new stadium and I read it. They talked about how they kept the name Comiskey for the ballpark. It said there was never any doubt on what the name should be. Reinsdorf was quoted "Comiskey Park should be the name of the park where the White Sox play. Simple as that." I just wanted to pass this information on to those of you who were upset about the name change to U.S. Cellular.

:reinsy
"The name of the park should be Comiskey. Unless a company offers me money to have it different. And who cares what you fans think about it, you guys never come out to the park anyway."

39thandWallace
06-17-2003, 01:23 AM
As much as a White Sox purist I am, I really don't mind the name change.

This guy tore down a Baseball Treasure, that could have been renovated. Comiskey Park has been gone since 1990

This Park should have never have been named Comiskey in the first place.

Nellie_Fox
06-17-2003, 01:42 AM
Originally posted by 39thandWallace
This guy tore down a Baseball Treasure, that could have been renovated. The park was so decrepit from lack of maintenance that any renovation would have been a huge undertaking. Without even discussing the expense of a virtual total rebuild of the place, I ask you where you think the White Sox would have played for the entire season (minimum) that the reconstruction was taking place?

39thandWallace
06-17-2003, 03:32 AM
Originally posted by Nellie_Fox
The park was so decrepit from lack of maintenance that any renovation would have been a huge undertaking. Without even discussing the expense of a virtual total rebuild of the place, I ask you where you think the White Sox would have played for the entire season (minimum) that the reconstruction was taking place?

The Yankee's did it in the 1970's. I think they played there home games at Shea.

I guess the only logical home of the White sox would have been Wrigley.
The Bears played there for almost 50 of there 75 years. I am also a die hard Bears fan so it is hard for me to completely hate the place.

Mo308oM
06-17-2003, 03:56 AM
Originally posted by Thunderstruck30
I was at a sports shop in Whiting today

was it the one on 119th st. in downtown?

fquaye149
06-17-2003, 08:47 AM
The park was so decrepit from lack of maintenance that any renovation would have been a huge undertaking. Without even discussing the expense of a virtual total rebuild of the place, I ask you where you think the White Sox would have played for the entire season (minimum) that the reconstruction was taking place?

champaign-urbana at the u of i! play on the space-age artifical turf!

LuvSox
06-17-2003, 09:07 AM

Amen.

DC Sox Fan
06-17-2003, 09:13 AM
Comiskey Park has been gone since 1990

Well put. Although I've come to appreciate the Cell in its own rights since '91, it never was and never will be "Comiskey"

jortafan
06-17-2003, 10:32 AM

Everytime I see what is becoming of Soldier Field, I give a little bit of thanks that no one seriously tried to push for the renovation of Comiskey Park. Can you just imagine how hideous the old building would have turned out if they had tried to squeeze rows and rows of private boxes under the upper deck, or how high the old upper deck would have had to be raised to accomodate them?

And don't tell me that private boxes in the sky would not have been needed. Having those damned things is the only reason any team bothered to push for a new stadium in recent years, even the so-called golden stadiums in Baltimore, Pittsburgh and San Francisco.

Somehow, I doubt the old charm of Comiskey could have survived a major renovation. I'm convinced Yankee Stadium is no longer really Yankee Stadium, but just a new '70s style building. It lost its character when it was turned into a baseball fortress in the Bronx.

Blueprint1
06-17-2003, 11:09 AM
Yeah really the thing i hate most about Yankee stadium is the fact that the media seems to think its the same as it always was. I hate the monuments in the middle of what should still be the outfield. I wish they would go back to the original dimensions at Yankee. It would be great to see modern players in that huge outfield.

Thunderstruck30
06-17-2003, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by Mo308oM

was it the one on 119th st. in downtown?

Yeah its called Cheap Seats Sports Cards. 1504 119th St. Have you ever been there? Its a great place and I recommend it to anyone who loves sports.

Nellie_Fox
06-18-2003, 02:21 AM
Originally posted by 39thandWallace
The Yankees did it in the 1970's. I think they played their home games at Shea.

I guess the only logical home of the White Sox would have been Wrigley.
The Bears played there for almost 50 of their 75 years. I am also a die hard Bears fan so it is hard for me to completely hate the place. I was hoping you'd use this for an example.

Shea Stadium is a publicly owned ballpark. The Mets had no say about the Yankees using it for that year. Wrigley Field is privately owned by the Cubs. Do you really think they'd agree to let the Sox use it for a year?

Mo308oM
06-18-2003, 05:42 AM
Originally posted by Thunderstruck30
Yeah its called Cheap Seats Sports Cards. 1504 119th St. Have you ever been there? Its a great place and I recommend it to anyone who loves sports.

yea i go there spmetimes... my bests friends ex bf lives rt down the street from it so when i dropped her off there i went in and looked around.. the guys that runs it is like a cubs fan rt and his son is a sox fan? i think but i aint sure (?)