PDA

View Full Version : Thomas back in command

SoxOnTop
06-16-2003, 10:56 PM
Despite being hosed on that awful 3rd strike call, I would have to say that Thomas' 5th inning at bat against Pedro was the highlight of the game (after Crede's HR, that is) for me. To see him up there commanding an excellent at bat seems to be a signal of things to come. For the last 2 years, Hurt would have looked sheepish and hesitant and would have ended up with a K or weak ground out. Instead he was back to old form terrorizing an inside fastball from Pedro instead of shrinking away. Looking like a general menace at the plate, again. Even fouling off several in the process. Its like he's different player, even from earlier in the season.

I've been as active a critic of Thomas as anyone in the last few years (for his idiotic comments off the field as well as his performance), but how good is it to see him up there controlling the plate again?

If JM can keep his nose clean for a few weeks, I think I feel something on the horizon....

SoxOnTop
06-16-2003, 10:59 PM
Don't get me wrong, my expectations of the Sox has not dipped so low that I'm excited about Thomas striking out. But I haven't seen the team play since Baltimore and for the first time in 2 years it looks like Frank has that edge in the batters box again.

It's about time!!

MHOUSE
06-17-2003, 02:11 AM
That was a great pitch by Pedro low and in. It locked Frank up even after a grat at bat. That pretty much took the wind out of Pedro and his pitch count, thus letting the Sox feast on Rupe. Frank has look a lot better of late for certain, but he'll never be the Frank of old.

I thought it was horsecrap that aside from Buehrle getting a win, the Sox beating a good team, the Boston bullpen still sucking, or any number of things, that Boston Gammons said the biggest story in this game was Pedro looking good in his 5 innings of work. While this is good news for the BoSox, there is much more going on here. What a joke.

SoxOnTop
06-17-2003, 06:57 AM
Boston Gammons said the biggest story in this game was Pedro looking good in his 5 innings of work

What a joke!! I don't get ESPN, so I have not been able to listen to Gammons lately, but that just goes to show the east coast bias everyone keeps talking about. What I saw was White Sox hitters sticking to their guns and digging in despite several brush-backs from Pedro. I saw Pedro pitch pretty well for only 4 innings and then he started to get hit hard. I think if he had come out for the 6th there would have been a few more runs put on the board.

Kilroy
06-17-2003, 07:06 AM
Originally posted by SoxOnTop
Despite being hosed on that awful 3rd strike call, I would have to say that Thomas' 5th inning at bat against Pedro was the highlight of the game (after Crede's HR, that is) for me.

First of all, you're right, Frank got hosed on that call. Where's Westec when you need it? But more than that, I blame my wife for that K. See, she is not a fan of the Big Hurt. In fact, she's anything but. She loves the Sox, but not Frank, at all. So it's 1-1 and she comes strolling in where I'm watching the game. Immediately, I tell her "don't you sit down in here right now. Bases loaded, 2 outs, and Frank is up facing Pedro. I don't want you conjuring up any of your anti Frank voodoo or bad charma." She of course looked at me like I was nuts. She stepped out of the room for 1 pitch, but came right back and was standing in the doorway. It was 1-2 then, and Frank started fouling off pitches. She stood at the end of the couch for a moment, then sat down. Next pitch was that ****ing curve ball.

She stood up and started to leave the room as I laid into her for not listening to me and sitting down. I think I uttered the phrase "voodoo priestess" right before she unleashed a wicked cackle from the kitchen. It scared me. She's evil...

fquaye149
06-17-2003, 07:45 AM
Originally posted by MHOUSE

Gammons said the biggest story in this game was Pedro looking good in his 5 innings of work. .

i was watching baseball tonight sunday(because i am a crackhead is the only legitimate excuse anymore...sorry) and bobby valentine was saying how the biggest story of the week was boston's bullpen holding it together against the 'stros...

GET OVER THE RED SOX...too bad they have such a large fan base....but....

their best player is millar....ouch

DC Sox Fan
06-17-2003, 08:11 AM
Pretty sure it was baseball tonight but it may have been the late sportscenter I was watching- they didn't have ANY Chisox highlights. Just Pedro K'ing people. No Crede dinger, no pitching, no hitting, no fielding. Just Pedro. And then at the end "oh yeah, White Sox won 4-2"

Un-freakin-believable.

Dadawg_77
06-17-2003, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by Kilroy
First of all, you're right, Frank got hosed on that call.

That was strike right on the outside corner, one hell of a pitch to end on hell of an at bat.

ScottyTheSoxFan
06-17-2003, 10:15 AM
baseball tonight showed about all 70 pedro pitches, and about 3 seconds of the crede homer. thats it. man i hate the boston bias.

voodoochile
06-17-2003, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by ScottyTheSoxFan
baseball tonight showed about all 70 pedro pitches, and about 3 seconds of the crede homer. thats it. man i hate the boston bias.

Look, I understand the frustration with the way the Sox are treated in the media, but honestly they are 5 games under and 6.5 games back in the worst division in baseball. Meanwhile Boston is 10 games over, 1 game back and leading the WC race while playing in the toughest division in baseball. If/when our boys start playing like they are capable of and make a run at first place, then we fan can have something to gripe about. Until then, we should be grateful they aren't ripping on us repeatedly.

Heck, lets just be glad the Sox are playing better ball these past few weeks...

SoxOnTop
06-17-2003, 10:41 AM
I agree that we do not deserve much exposure with the way we've been playing. Heck, usually I don't even want to watch.

But when you beat one of the best pitcher's in baseball, you should get some highlights. Especially when your starter goes 8 IP with only 1 ER against what has been one of the best hitting teams in baseball.

That is not an unreasonable request.

fquaye149
06-17-2003, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
Look, I understand the frustration with the way the Sox are treated in the media, but honestly they are 5 games under and 6.5 games back in the worst division in baseball. Meanwhile Boston is 10 games over, 1 game back and leading the WC race while playing in the toughest division in baseball. If/when our boys start playing like they are capable of and make a run at first place, then we fan can have something to gripe about. Until then, we should be grateful they aren't ripping on us repeatedly.

Heck, lets just be glad the Sox are playing better ball these past few weeks...

regardless, i would expect honest reporting. if the tigers beat the yankees i would expect them to at least show the highlights of the game

and this isn't exactly the same situation