PDA

View Full Version : Would Jerry Manuel let Billy Wagner face right handed batters?

kermittheefrog
06-16-2003, 02:28 AM
I think it's easy to see Damaso Marte is our best reliever at getting batters out and he doesn't struggle with right handed batters; yet Jerry won't let Marte face right handed batters. So I have to ask if we had Billy Wagner, an established lefty closer, would Manuel let him face right handed batters?

fquaye149
06-16-2003, 03:18 AM
i mean, when you have an above average but not overpowering lefty like marte sometimes you need to play the pct's. i mean we can all admit that marte's no billy wagner. well, i don't know if marte should necessarily be our closer but he has pitched well. koch is solid though, and if manuel decides to pull marte to have koch face a righty, i'm not gonna hold it against him.

in middle relief though, it's a different story.

Jerko
06-16-2003, 09:06 AM
I wish he would get the chance! In Houston of course.

Gumshoe
06-16-2003, 11:18 AM
I've been talking about this for a while. The only better left handed reliever in the game is arguably Wagner. Marte has consistently shown he's that good, and he would be getting even more props if Manuel actually brought him into games before Gordon lost the lead than after. My Lord.

Righties can't hit Marte either. Which brings up another great point --- if Marte is in from the get-go against SF on that Thursday, Durham has to bat right handed, his far worse side. I think he would have had no chance. Then Bonds [worst case scenario] goes deep. Marte still holds on for the save, no questions asked. I still can't believe the idiocy of that entire situation. I also love watching Koch come in and walk the first two guys. I think he likes trying to set up double plays and making us sweat. My lord. KW brought in 3 pretty bad righty relievers. They've probably blown a combined 10 games this year, I would surmise. Half of those could have been wins if JM just used Marte instead --- properly

gumshoe

Iguana775
06-16-2003, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by fquaye149
i mean, when you have an above average but not overpowering lefty like marte sometimes you need to play the pct's.

i have seen Marte throw 95. that's not over powering?

kermittheefrog
06-16-2003, 01:02 PM
The thing that really gets me is that they talked about using Marte as a starter at some point. Clearly they think he can get righties out or they'd never consider using him as a starter. Yet Manuel uses him like he's Kelly Wunsch.

Hangar18
06-16-2003, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by Gumshoe
I've been talking about this for a while. The only better left handed reliever in the game is arguably Wagner. Marte has consistently shown he's that good, and he would be getting even more props if Manuel actually brought him into games before Gordon lost the lead than after. My Lord.

Righties can't hit Marte either. Which brings up another great point --- if Marte is in from the get-go against SF on that Thursday, Durham has to bat right handed, his far worse side. I think he would have had no chance. Then Bonds [worst case scenario] goes deep. Marte still holds on for the save, no questions asked. I still can't believe the idiocy of that entire situation. I also love watching Koch come in and walk the first two guys. I think he likes trying to set up double plays and making us sweat. My lord. KW brought in 3 pretty bad righty relievers. They've probably blown a combined 10 games this year, I would surmise. Half of those could have been wins if JM just used Marte instead --- properly

gumshoe

Yes...instead of being 7 under, Imagine if our MGR makes the
right calls for the bullpen, and we WIN 6 games. This team
is probably 1 game over, and right in the thick of things
here, and were all Excited about this month coming up........

fquaye149
06-16-2003, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by Iguana775
i have seen Marte throw 95. that's not over powering?

when he does throw 95 i'm sure it is overpowering. but when koch was throwing 93 it wasn't overpowering by any stretch of the imagination. just for the heck of it.