PDA

View Full Version : Valentin needs to sit more often

Soxboyrob
08-21-2001, 11:49 AM
If the premise behind the playing of Valentin is that his offense creates more runs than his defense costs us, then he needs to be on the bench until his leg is healthy. When healthy, Jose is a terror on the bases and with the bat. Since his leg injury, he's been nothing more than a moderately decent hitter w/ no baserunning capability. He's remained a butcher in the field at virtually every position(although I thought he looked pretty decent in CF).

He's currently costing us runs on defense and is not able to cook up an equal amount of run support w/ the stick and on the bases. I hate having to say this because he's my favorite player, but the guy needs to sit some at this point.

Nellie_Fox
08-21-2001, 02:38 PM
There is currently no one on the Sox I'd rather see coming to the plate in a clutch situation than Valentin. And there's no one I want to see the ball hit to less in a clutch situation (with the possible exception of Liefer.)

doublem23
08-21-2001, 02:54 PM
Yeah, Soxboy. I have been one of the biggest Valentin backers around, but he really needs to get healthy, that or he has to stop playing 3B.

Unfortunately, its hard to recover from a hamstring injury when you just sit on it, or at least, that's what I have heard.

Soxboyrob
08-21-2001, 02:57 PM
Maybe Jose needs to be shelved for the remainder of the season. It's time to bring up Crede and others for the rest of the year anyway. Why not let Valentin just do therapy on the leg for the rest of the year and use him only for emergency or pinch-hitting duty. The guy is currently killing us and is obviously not feeling well.

doublem23
08-21-2001, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by Soxboyrob
Maybe Jose needs to be shelved for the remainder of the season. It's time to bring up Crede and others for the rest of the year anyway. Why not let Valentin just do therapy on the leg for the rest of the year and use him only for emergency or pinch-hitting duty. The guy is currently killing us and is obviously not feeling well.

Sounds good to me. Valentin right now is eating Crede's roster spot. With the season all but over, it is definately time to give Crede a shot at the majors - even if Kenny Williams is trying to butcher his swing - and give Clayton time to make himself better trade bait.

Jerry_Manuel
08-21-2001, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
Sounds good to me. Valentin right now is eating Crede's roster spot. With the season all but over, it is definately time to give Crede a shot at the majors - even if Kenny Williams is trying to butcher his swing - and give Clayton time to make himself better trade bait.

I want Crede here to but the guy "eating" his spot is Canseco. That way Crede can play 3rd with Royce at SS and Jose at DH. But if Crede's swing is screwed up what good does it do him to be on the big club? I would rather have him get his swing fixed then come up.

:crede
If Josh is up I should be up.

doublem23
08-21-2001, 05:36 PM
No, I think Valentin is really eating the spot right now. He's obviously hurt, but the Sox don't wanna just DL him for the rest of the year, cuz that's "white-flagging" the season, and that's bad PR (even though anyone with a brain cell realizes this year is done).

Soxboy was right when he said let's just take Valentin, DL him, open up a spot for someone, most likely Crede, and start rehabbing Valentin so he doesn't A) hurt himself any more and B) is definately ready for the start of the 2002 season with an extra month of rehab...

Unless the Indians' team plane crashes, we have no real chance at it this season. It is definately time to say, "Let's get ready to win in 2002!"

Jerry_Manuel
08-21-2001, 05:39 PM
No, I think Valentin is really eating the spot right now. He's obviously hurt, but the Sox don't wanna just DL him for the rest of the year, cuz that's "white-flagging" the season, and that's bad PR (even though anyone with a brain cell realizes this year is done).

Soxboy was right when he said let's just take Valentin, DL him, open up a spot for someone, most likely Crede, and start rehabbing Valentin so he doesn't A) hurt himself any more and B) is definately ready for the start of the 2002 season with an extra month of rehab...

That's not going to happen. But I guess it is a good idea.

doublem23
08-21-2001, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel
That's not going to happen. But I guess it is a good idea.

Well, yeah, I think we all know that it's not going to happen, just because the team doesn't want to appear that they are raising the white flag, and also, when was the last time this organization did anything even borderline intelligent?

Jerry_Manuel
08-21-2001, 05:56 PM
Well, yeah, I think we all know that it's not going to happen, just because the team doesn't want to appear that they are raising the white flag, and also, when was the last time this organization did anything even borderline intelligent?

Getting rid of :jaime

and resigning :manos and :maggs

doublem23
08-21-2001, 06:16 PM
True, true.

All right, I'll restate.

When was the last time this organization did something borderline intelligent that wasn't so blantalty obvious that it needed to be done?

Jerry_Manuel
08-21-2001, 06:31 PM
When was the last time this organization did something borderline intelligent that wasn't so blantalty obvious that it needed to be done?

Well depending on who you ask the David Wells deal.

doublem23
08-21-2001, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel
Well depending on who you ask the David Wells deal.

Once again true. See, this is why you write for the site, JM. I'm going to stop talking now cuz I have already jammed my foot in my mouth to the shin! :)

Jerry_Manuel
08-21-2001, 06:40 PM
Once again true. See, this is why you write for the site, JM. I'm going to stop talking now cuz I have already jammed my foot in my mouth to the shin! :)

Well my point was that, yeah we needed a number one starter but was Wells the right guy to get? That's why I said depending on who you ask.

doublem23
08-21-2001, 06:44 PM
My point was that I said something, and now you have contradicted me twice, so I'd better just drop it.

KempersRS
08-21-2001, 06:44 PM
This team proved they weren't commited to winning when Wunsch went down. I said it right after the injury that the move the Sox make will really tell where management stands on this season. They sat on there hands for too long, which told you they weren't that interested in getting someone to help us move up. Then, they went out and picked up a worthless lefty in Embree. It was a trademark move of JR picking up someone that he couldn't lose on, because he was never expected to do anything. That was the first time I saw where this team's management really stood.

doublem23
08-21-2001, 06:50 PM
I think it's more a case of the Sox management really doesn't know how to win rather than they just plain don't want to.

KempersRS
08-21-2001, 07:01 PM
I think it's more a case of the Sox management really doesn't know how to win rather than they just plain don't want to.

I think when the season got to the point it was at, they didn't think it was worth making a big push. It seems our management never thinks it is time to make a big push.

doublem23
08-21-2001, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by KempersRS
I think when the season got to the point it was at, they didn't think it was worth making a big push. It seems our management never thinks it is time to make a big push.

That I will buy into.