PDA

View Full Version : The Rocket

hose
06-14-2003, 01:55 AM
Congrats to Roger Clemens on his 300th win and 4000th strike out. :gulp:

Friday the 13th takes me back to when the Sox decided to pass on signing Clemens because they figured he was washed up.

Since 1997 Clemens has gone 108- 44 with 3 Cy Youngs. Roger is also 3-0 with a awesome 1.56 era. in World Series games.

Jamie Navarro was 25- 43 with the Sox. :whiner:

Nellie_Fox
06-14-2003, 03:01 AM
Do I need to remind you what hindsight is?

hose
06-14-2003, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by Nellie_Fox
Do I need to remind you what hindsight is?

The only reason I brought it up was that I seem to remember that Clemens wanted to come to Chicago and pitch for the White Sox.

Huisj
06-14-2003, 10:29 AM
And the sox said his arm was gone and he was through. oops

34 Inch Stick
06-14-2003, 11:27 AM
He would have treated the Sox like he did Toronto. He wanted a ring, he wanted the publicity and he wanted the money. He would have made it to New York eventually anyway (of course he did win a Cy Young with Toronto).

How upset do you think Boston fans are right now. Project that 3 years into the future and that is how upset I will be if Frank hits 500 in anything but a Sox uniform.

Fridaythe13thJason
06-14-2003, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick
How upset do you think Boston fans are right now. Project that 3 years into the future and that is how upset I will be if Frank hits 500 in anything but a Sox uniform.

3 years? Wow. I thought I was optimistic.

Anyway...Roger Clemens is a jackhole. I remember stating during those reports that I would disown my fandom of the White Sox if he was signed. I was serious about it, too. I'm glad I still get to be a fan. There is really no player in ML history that I like less.

After the Cubs-Yankees game, some radio guy on Xtra sports here was having a Roger Clemens lost again radio party. He played songs like "Celebrate" and callers called in to talk about how much they hated Clemens. He played the Pat Hughes clip of Karros' homer over and over. It was really joyous.

hose
06-14-2003, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by SoCalUIC
3 years? Wow. I thought I was optimistic.

Anyway...Roger Clemens is a jackhole. I remember stating during those reports that I would disown my fandom of the White Sox if he was signed. I was serious about it, too. I'm glad I still get to be a fan. There is really no player in ML history that I like less.

After the Cubs-Yankees game, some radio guy on Xtra sports here was having a Roger Clemens lost again radio party. He played songs like "Celebrate" and callers called in to talk about how much they hated Clemens. He played the Pat Hughes clip of Karros' homer over and over. It was really joyous.

Then how did you feel about Albert Belle ? warm and fuzzy :D:

Hangar18
06-14-2003, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by hose
The only reason I brought it up was that I seem to remember that Clemens wanted to come to Chicago and pitch for the White Sox.

I remember that. I remember he WANTED to come here. And I remember Schueler weighing in .....Clemens vs Navarro. Navarro vs. Clemens hmmmmm. I remember Schu's exact quote why
they didnt sign him..."Hes got too many miles on his arm".

hose
06-14-2003, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
I remember that. I remember he WANTED to come here. And I remember Schueler weighing in .....Clemens vs Navarro. Navarro vs. Clemens hmmmmm. I remember Schu's exact quote why
they didnt sign him..."Hes got too many miles on his arm".

The White Sox are right up there with some great decision making:

1) MR. Sony -" Beta will continue to be the industry standard"

2) Coke - New Coke

3) Volkswagen- The Thing

4) Quaker Oats- buying Snapple

5) California- deragulating the energy industry

6-10 reserved for Reinsdorf and the White Sox

SoxxoS
06-14-2003, 01:39 PM
I wish Mike Piazza would have kicked his ass.

Huisj
06-14-2003, 02:38 PM
Can you imagine what this team would be like if the sox had signed clemens back then? I really can't. There probably would have been no white flag trade in '97 because their record probably would have been a bit better with clemens instead of navarro. And while there isn't anyone on the team anymore who was a direct result of the white flag trade, that trade (and other moves that followed) really completely overhauled the whole roster. It's wierd to think about.

34 Inch Stick
06-16-2003, 08:51 AM
SoCal, he is 8 short of 400 at this point. Let's say that he hits another 18 this year. He will have to average 30 homers over the next three years to reach 500. I don't think that is overly optismistic.

Dadawg_77
06-16-2003, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by hose
The White Sox are right up there with some great decision making:

1) MR. Sony -" Beta will continue to be the industry standard"

2) Coke - New Coke

3) Volkswagen- The Thing

4) Quaker Oats- buying Snapple

5) California- deragulating the energy industry

6-10 reserved for Reinsdorf and the White Sox

Actually I think New Coke is one of the greatest ideas ever. Coke wasn't selling that well and need to be revived as a product, thus take a classic and replace it with crappy product. After short period of time people will complain and moan about the crappy product, and its time to say your sorry and reintroduce Coca Cola Classic and make millions.

The thing is we get Rodger, he may have gotten his ring(s) here instead of New York Yankees. Rodger is one of the greatest players in the history of the game and no matter how much of a prick he is, he would have been good addition to the Sox. I'll root for a team of pricks as long as they win.

xil357
06-16-2003, 09:48 AM
The Sox with Clemens would have won the Central in 97 and would have advanced to the Series and defeated the Marlins in Game 7 with Clemens getting the win. How different things would have been. TERRY BEVINGTON WOULD HAVE WON MANAGER OF THE YEAR.

I had almost forgotten about Clemens being a free agent before the 97 season. Now I remember that Tom Shaer of WSCR (he did the morning show for them back then) thought NOT signing Clemens was a good thing, because he too thought Clemens was done.

That would have set up some classic ALCS battles between the Yankees and the Sox over the next few seasons. I think the Sox could have pulled in another ring by 2000 and the Sox would have absolutely OWNED Chicago.

Alvarez of course still would have gotten hurt and probably would be re-habbing with the team right now. Ventura still would be at 3B and DH-ing part-time and spelling Frank at 1B when Frank needed a day at DH as he would be chasing his 5th MVP and second triple crown. Frank would own the town with his 10,000 watt smile and Sammy would be just another ordinary one-dimensional power hitter on the Cubs. He might even be with the Yankees by 2003 and probably would have been busted for steroids.... The Sox never would have signed Albert Belle in the first place -- he too would have signed with the Cubs and both Belle and Sosa would have been caught using corked bats, and the Cubs would be arguing with the City about their desire to install a steeper upper deck at the Urinal or would threaten to move unless the state would build them a new, shining, ultra-modern ballpark in Lincoln Park. Meanwhile, Cameron would have been patrolling CF for the Sox with Maggs in right. Jeff Weaver would have signed with the Sox from the beginning and he and Clemens would be anchoring this rotation. The "waves" of minor league talent would still be coming but would be reinforcements that would have kept the dynasty rolling. They would have had to make a trade for a SS or signed one in free agency. A-Rod might have signed here for less than what Texas pays for him just to be on a winner... Catcher might be a hole but they might have Mark Johnson batting ninth as the only player who couldn't hit because they wouldn't meet Brook Fordyce's contract demands. But with a current lineup of:

Cameron CF
Durham 2B
Thomas 1B/DH
A-Rod SS
Maggs RF
Ventura 3B/1B/DH
Lee LF
Crede 3B
Johnson C

and a starting staff of:
Clemens
Weaver
Buehrle
Garland
name your 5th starter

this team would have a $100 million payroll, would be chasing its third or fouth WS title in 2003 and we'd be arguing over the 5th starter and the two most popular threads on WSI would be "Get on the phone, Kenny, we need a #9 hitter who can catch!" or "What can we do about these drunk yuppies who buy up all the 3B side box seats at COMISKEY PARK but spend all their time in the Stadium Club, I was a fan during the lean years of the 80s and I used to be able to buy an upper deck ticket and move right behind the Sox dugout but not anymore, but that's OK because the sight lines are so much better in the upper deck and we can see the 97, 00 and 02 championship banners and the 98 and 01 AL pennants much better from up here!," or "I sure hope 2003 isn't a repeat of 99, when we tanked in the division series."

More proof that RELOADING is so superior to the much inferior REBUILDING.

Dadawg_77
06-16-2003, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by xil357

Wow, what kind of juice are you on and where can I get some of it? That would have been a nive direction for this team to pull off.

34 Inch Stick
06-16-2003, 10:17 AM
You are right x. It would have been a wonderful life. Buffalo girls won't you come out tonight, won't you come out toningt, won't you come out tonight...

xil357
06-16-2003, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
Wow, what kind of juice are you on and where can I get some of it? That would have been a nive direction for this team to pull off.

The same juice as Sosa.

Actually, spouting pollyana bliss is all I can do to avoid hitting the bottle to toast both what could have been and my brain.

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy, but with this team I might just need both.

Daver
06-16-2003, 08:00 PM
Further proof that Clemens is a jerk,If I dont get my way I'm not playing. (http://espn.go.com/mlb/news/2003/0615/1568234.html)

He holds most of the Red Sox pitching records,but won't show up for his induction ceremony into Cooperstown unless his plaque shows a Yankee's cap?

Hangar18
06-17-2003, 09:06 AM
wow, Clemens really is a Jerk. I want to see a Boston
cap on him in the HOF