PDA

View Full Version : Cubune gives a new name to U.S. Cellular

FJA
06-14-2003, 12:11 AM
I don't know if anyone caught this in the "Friday" section of today's Cubune, but check out this quote from Terry Armour:

"As the Cubs prepare to host the White Sox (June 20-22) at Wrigley and the Sox, in turn, welcome the Cubbies (June 27-29) to what insiders have dubbed "The Joan" (apologies to U.S. Cellular spokesperson Joan Cusack), here's the inside track to a trouble-free day at the old ball yard."

Huh? The Joan? Does ANYONE use this nickname?

Click Here to read the full article, which is about "the best" at and around Wrigley and U.S. Cellular (http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/printedition/chi-0306130278jun13,1,4439243.story)

MHOUSE
06-14-2003, 12:12 AM
That sounds pretty ridiculous. I have never heard of that and it hardly makes any sense. The WSI 'Cell' is much better.

sox_fan_forever
06-14-2003, 12:49 AM
I agree. That is the stupidest thing I have ever seen. If you have to give it a nickname "The Cell" is ten times better.

fquaye149
06-14-2003, 07:30 AM
the joan is the worst thing i've ever heard. i think u.s. sell-your-soul field has a better chance of catching on...and vegas oddsmakers list that one at slim-none

TornLabrum
06-14-2003, 08:07 AM
I call it "The Joan." However, I haven't called it that here or anywhere else. Just among my friends in conversation as a joke.

It does fit if you consider how ugly the place is from the outside.

ScottyTheSoxFan
06-14-2003, 09:25 AM
THE JOAN??? that is the lamest of names IMO. i have never heard it used at all either.

34 Inch Stick
06-14-2003, 10:20 AM
It started with a caller on the Steve Dahl Show (who is a fan and season ticket holder for the Sox). I think it's preety funny given the self appointed nicknames for stadiums like Jacobs field (it wasn't even old enough for me to know its real name before the lame nickname showed up).

It has been gaining momentum. The sportscasters on channel 5 use it as well. It is a way around giving a free plug to U.S Cellular.

ewokpelts
06-14-2003, 11:39 AM
I'd have to disagree with Terry's suggestion for a post game drink @Schaller's Pump. My brother(who lives in bridgeport) says the service sucks, and you're better off going somewhere else. If you're going to a Sox/Scrubbies Game @ the urinal(wrigley), go to Fuel. Unlimited Dogs/Brats with a MGD purchase(and the beer's on sale too!) Although I usually go for a PBR, but that's me..
Gene

Hangar18
06-14-2003, 12:05 PM
Terri Armour by the way, is a Big time Sox Fan. I drank a beer
with him and a couple of other fans at the Goose On Lincoln
Ave, as we watched the sox
blow one of the many games in the Metrodome last season.
He

cheeses_h_rice
06-14-2003, 03:42 PM
My wife listens to the Dahl show on her drive home, and she keeps asking me if "the Joan" as a term for our park has caught on with Sox fans yet. I told her categorically, "no."

I think it's a pretty derogatory nickname, given how terrible those US Cellular commercials are. It's like she has muscle tics that she just can't control. Ugh.

Nellie_Fox
06-15-2003, 01:27 AM
Well, I'm happy we don't have US Cellular or their ads here in Minnesota.

Just keep calling it Comiskey, because I guarantee you that it won't be "US Cellular Field" for more than four or five years. With the volatility of the communications industry, they will either be bought out, change their name, or go out of business by then.

Brian26
06-15-2003, 02:22 AM
For what its worth, Dahl sounds like a total *** when he talks about sports anyway. "The Joan" is lame.

ewokpelts
06-15-2003, 09:04 AM
schaller's pump isnt teh one that pissed off my bro...you can go there...
Gene

TornLabrum
06-15-2003, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by ewokpelts
schaller's pump isnt teh one that pissed off my bro...you can go there...
Gene

We're having a WCSF executive board meeting at Schaller's this Tuesday. We've been meeting there on a semi-regular basis since the club was founded in 1995. The service is fine, the drinks are drinks, and the food is very good.

kevingrt
06-15-2003, 11:18 AM
If onyl half the world understood that nickname?

MRKARNO
06-15-2003, 10:10 PM
It's not the Joan, it's the Cell