PDA

View Full Version : The "JM managed a good game tonight" thread

Viva Magglio
06-13-2003, 11:05 PM
I will commend Jerry Manuel for making the right moves with the bullpen tonight. He brought in Marte at the right time, and having Koch pitch the 9th (however erratic) saved the game.

Do I still think he should be fired? Yes. But I will not rain on him tonight.

FJA
06-13-2003, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!

I agree completely ... gotta give credit when credit is due.

Other than that, especially given the sourness of yesterday's loss, today was a good win. Yard from Maggs, Rios and Hurt, a 2 RBI night for Konerko (when was the last time we saw that?) and, overall, a good performance from the bullpen. All that on top of a comparatively unremarkable performance from Loaiza. I was at the game and after Loaiza's first inning, I thought we'd all be in for a night of corpseball.

Not overwhelming, because San Diego is a team we SHOULD be beating, but not too much to complain about here. A sweep going into the Red Sox series (which always pulls a good crowd anyway) would get me excited, but now I'm getting ahead of myself.

MikeKreevich
06-14-2003, 07:50 AM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
I will commend Jerry Manuel for making the right moves with the bullpen tonight. He brought in Marte at the right time, and having Koch pitch the 9th (however erratic) saved the game.

"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once and a while."

Scotty347
06-14-2003, 09:49 AM
I guess it would be called a good game (mostly because we won) but I wasn't too happy to see Flash come out for the second inning of work.

It seems that after Flash or Rick White work a strong inning, Jerry seems to leave them in until they crap out. I would much rather get that good inning out of Flash and then move on to someone else to pitch the next inning. I think on some occasions he has even left Flash in for 3 innings.

gosox41
06-14-2003, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by FJA
I agree completely ... gotta give credit when credit is due.

Other than that, especially given the sourness of yesterday's loss, today was a good win. Yard from Maggs, Rios and Hurt, a 2 RBI night for Konerko (when was the last time we saw that?) and, overall, a good performance from the bullpen. All that on top of a comparatively unremarkable performance from Loaiza. I was at the game and after Loaiza's first inning, I thought we'd all be in for a night of corpseball.

Not overwhelming, because San Diego is a team we SHOULD be beating, but not too much to complain about here. A sweep going into the Red Sox series (which always pulls a good crowd anyway) would get me excited, but now I'm getting ahead of myself.

I was at the game last night and have a couple of observations. In the first inning when Klesko was up with runners on second and third I turned to my wife and told her that even though it's uncoventional, the Sox should put Klesko on because he is easily the teams best hitter while Burroughs hasn't proven anything yet. So what happens, Klesko doubles and Burroughs and the guy behind him whiff.

Second, PK's 2 RBI's were hardly impressive. One came on a ground ball on a drawn in infield that ordinarily would have been a routing DP. The second RBI came off a pop up to medium RF. Hardly impressive.

Bob

FJA
06-14-2003, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by gosox41
I was at the game last night and have a couple of observations. In the first inning when Klesko was up with runners on second and third I turned to my wife and told her that even though it's uncoventional, the Sox should put Klesko on because he is easily the teams best hitter while Burroughs hasn't proven anything yet. So what happens, Klesko doubles and Burroughs and the guy behind him whiff.

Second, PK's 2 RBI's were hardly impressive. One came on a ground ball on a drawn in infield that ordinarily would have been a routing DP. The second RBI came off a pop up to medium RF. Hardly impressive.

Bob

Not so sure about putting Klesko on in the first. Best hitter on the PADRES, yes, but not a force so overwhelming that we have to intentionally walk him in the first inning. Besides, Loaiza is our best pitcher and, given that, I have as much faith in him getting Klesko out as I do Klesko hitting a double. It could have gone either way; unfortunately, it wasn't Loaiza's night.

As for PK, 2 RBIs is 2 RBIs for a guy who's been playing like he's been playing. Paulie really needs to get some numbers up there any way he can. Perhaps that will spark some confidence, and then, who knows. I have a hard time believing that Paulie has been overachieving every season of his career up to this point, and that his last few years with the Sox have been a fluke.

kevingrt
06-14-2003, 12:07 PM
Yea Jerry Manuel did manage this game well, but a game that we lost and he mis-managed is way more important then a game that we win and he manages well. The loss much outweighs the win.

fquaye149
06-14-2003, 04:32 PM
for me the redeeming factor for loaiza is that after giving up the triple to get behind 3-1 with no outs he induced the pad's to strand the runner at 3rd. that's fairly gutsy

TornLabrum
06-14-2003, 09:53 PM
At tonight's Kane County Cougars game, the paid attendance was 13, 587, just about half the crowd at the Sox game. Saturday is "young families with kids" night. Guess where a lot of them were...enough to make the crowd at the Sox game 40,000?