PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else notice ...

FJA
06-13-2003, 03:57 PM
The ChicagoSports.com poll today asking: "Should Sammy Sosa be invited to this year’s "Home Run Derby" at Sox park?"

I think it's interesting there isn't an option saying "No, he only has 6 home runs this season." Anyone else think this isn't even a cork issue, but rather, simply an issue of Shamm-ee just not being good enough this year?

rmusacch
06-13-2003, 04:03 PM
I thought who was invited to participate was All Stars that were at the top of their league in homers and then if they declined they went to the next one?

FJA
06-13-2003, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by rmusacch
I thought who was invited to participate was All Stars that were at the top of their league in homers and then if they declined they went to the next one?

I didn't know that's how they did it ... I thought it was separate.

Either way, he's not very close to the top of the league in homers.

ScottyTheSoxFan
06-13-2003, 10:38 PM
it would be great too see Frank Thomas make it. he is currently a little off pace from the leader delgado at 21, but the home town thing might help.

RKMeibalane
06-13-2003, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by ScottyTheSoxFan
it would be great too see Frank Thomas make it. he is currently a little off pace from the leader delgado at 21, but the home town thing might help.

Frank is making a strong case to be selected. I think he has a good chance of making the team. Carlos Delgado will be the starter at first base. Palmeiro deserves to be selected, as well. However, there's no reason why Frank shouldn't play in the All Star Game. His numbers are rapidly improving, and the game is in his park.

The DH will be used in this game, so here's what I would do as far as player selections are concerned:

First Base:

Carlos Delgado
Rafael Palmeiro
Frank Thomas

Designated Hitter:

Edgar Martinez

One of the players listed above can start the game at first base. One of the other three can DH. Each will then be replaced by one of the other two players, depending on what spots need to be filled as the game progresses. Edgar Martinez cannot play the field, so he will be limited only to DH duty.

MarkEdward
06-14-2003, 12:16 AM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
Frank is making a strong case to be selected. I think he has a good chance of making the team. Carlos Delgado will be the starter at first base. Palmeiro deserves to be selected, as well. However, there's no reason why Frank shouldn't play in the All Star Game. His numbers are rapidly improving, and the game is in his park.

Mike Sweeney will be the Royals' rep, so he's in at first. Giambi may pass up Delgado in fan votes (sadly), so he may get in. I don't think Palmeiro will make it.

One can make an argument for taking Thomas over Martinez at DH. Thomas leads in OBP (.419 to .408), Edgar leads in SLG (.578 to .566), Edgar also leads in VORP (31.1 to 29.3), EQA (.345 to .333), and RARP (25.6 to 24.9). Thomas is getting hot, and could pass Martinez up in some of these categories.

FJA
06-14-2003, 12:24 AM
Actually, Thomas' selection will depend largely upon his popularity among his peers. In addition to the all-star game meaning home-field advantage in the WS, Mike Scioscia only gets to pick five reserves, while players, managers and coaches vote on the rest.

Here's a link to an article from the Cubune (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/cs-030613allstars,1,6933289.story?coll=cs-home-headlines)

Anyone know how players and managers around the league feel about Frank?

Fridaythe13thJason
06-14-2003, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by FJA
Actually, Thomas' selection will depend largely upon his popularity among his peers. In addition to the all-star game meaning home-field advantage in the WS, Mike Scioscia only gets to pick five reserves, while players, managers and coaches vote on the rest.

Here's a link to an article from the Cubune (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/cs-030613allstars,1,6933289.story?coll=cs-home-headlines)

Anyone know how players and managers around the league feel about Frank?

Just judging from interviews and random spots, they respect him and his accomplishment a lot more than the national media or fans do. I don't think any players don't think of him as HOF all the way.

RKMeibalane
06-14-2003, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by SoCalUIC
Just judging from interviews and random spots, they respect him and his accomplishment a lot more than the national media or fans do. I don't think any players don't think of him as HOF all the way.

Agreed. It seems like the people who actually play the game have a better understand of how productive Frank has been throughout his career. If it comes down to the players and managers, there's no reason why Frank shouldn't make it. I think the home field situation will work in his favor, as well. A lot of people will be upset if he doesn't get to play in front of his own fans.

gosox3072
06-15-2003, 11:09 PM
Maybe they will let Paul Konerko in the Home Run Derby