PDA

View Full Version : Reinsdorf vote of confidence for Manuel in Chicago trib

captain54
06-13-2003, 10:18 AM
From the Chicago Tribune, 6/13/03

Sox Chairman Jerry Reinsdorf offered words of encouragement for Manuel while speaking at a luncheon for the Chicago Southland Chamber of Commerce this week.

"Casey Stengel could not do anything with the way we've been hitting." Reinsdorf said. "With the new batting coach (Greg Walker), its coming around now and I feel very optimistic."

:reinsy

"You people in the media never learn, do you....you would think after 23 years you'd be able to translate....What I really mean is there is no way I will fire a manager who is still under contract for a while, no matter how many tumbleweeds blow through my fabulous, new improved empty ballpark..."

Viva Magglio
06-13-2003, 11:53 AM
:ohno
We're stuck with the Jerrys.

MHOUSE
06-13-2003, 12:39 PM
How are they that stupid to think this team is going anywhere? Just sit on your hands and watch the team sink, that'll help! Give me a break. Anyone with half a brain knows that this team, with these players and this management isn't going to the playoffs anytime soon. Sell the team dumba$$!

pudge
06-13-2003, 12:55 PM
This is just his media-facing jabber, but I really wish he'd show some fire to the general public. Get PO'ed that the team stinks so bad and that Manuel hasn't been capable of winning close games for the past several seasons.

Dan H
06-13-2003, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by pudge
This is just his media-facing jabber, but I really wish he'd show some fire to the general public. Get PO'ed that the team stinks so bad and that Manuel hasn't been capable of winning close games for the past several seasons.

I agree with this. We have been awaiting for some reaction to all this under-achievement, and we get some lame stuff about Greg Walker. At least show some frustration that the team is losing and that the Cubs will probably go to the playoffs. If he insists on keeping Manuel, fine, but he should show a pulse. Reinsdorf might be optimistic, but I see the hole getting deeper and deeper. It is just another example of the Sox being out of touch

daveb816
06-13-2003, 03:29 PM
What exactly does the Cubs possibly going to the playoffs have to do with this? Does that mean that this disaster of a season would be easier to accept if the Cubs were bad, too?!? What nonsense!!!!

duke of dorwood
06-13-2003, 03:34 PM
Funny, he shows "fire" when whining about low attendance. Only in tis town would the dual dolts still have jobs

:jerry

:KW

Hangar18
06-13-2003, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by daveb816
What exactly does the Cubs possibly going to the playoffs have to do with this? Does that mean that this disaster of a season would be easier to accept if the Cubs were bad, too?!? What nonsense!!!!

Actually Dave, Yes. This season would Certainly be easier
to Swallow if the Cubs stunk too. At least i'd be able to laugh
about something. The idea of wiping that smug look off of
Alison Rosati and the rest of the cub-loving media would be
great. Anyone Catch ABC-7's "special report" from Camden
Yards? Amounted to a reporter standing in Baltimore to tell
us that Sammy got suspended. Couldnt they have told
us that from the studio?

pudge
06-13-2003, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Actually Dave, Yes. This season would Certainly be easier
to Swallow if the Cubs stunk too. At least i'd be able to laugh
about something. The idea of wiping that smug look off of
Alison Rosati and the rest of the cub-loving media would be
great. Anyone Catch ABC-7's "special report" from Camden
Yards? Amounted to a reporter standing in Baltimore to tell
us that Sammy got suspended. Couldnt they have told
us that from the studio?

Since I don't live in Chi-town anymore, I don't have to suffer through the media, but I'm also pretty good at ignoring it. I personally think getting wrapped up in what the media says is a little foolish, and getting wrapped up in the Cubs winning is also foolish. The Cubs may fade, or the Cubs may get bounced in the play-offs, but I'm not going to worry about them until Game 7 of the World Series. If they make it that far, then I'll start to worry.

Nellie_Fox
06-13-2003, 11:45 PM
What exactly does the Cubs possibly going to the playoffs have to do with this? Does that mean that this disaster of a season would be easier to accept if the Cubs were bad, too?!? What nonsense!!!! Easy, son. Being a new poster, and from Lincoln Park to boot, don't give the impression of being a closet Cubby fan.

The Cubs possibly going to the playoffs makes the situation worse for the Sox because they keep slipping further and further into oblivion in the mind of Chicago sports fans. I think that the only reason they aren't the absolute last sports team in Chicago is because hockey is fading at the same time the Black Hawks absolutely stink, and Wirtz may be the worst PR owner in the history of professional sports.

Dan H
06-14-2003, 06:41 AM

It is hard enough for the White Sox to compete in this town when the Cubs stink. It is worse when the North Siders are even half-way decent. And if I were Jerry Reinsdorf, I would pretty mad watching my team fade while my cross town rivals are doing well.

I was at Old Comiskey in 1989 when the Cubs clinched their second and hopefully last division title. The White Sox were in last and losing to a bad Twins team that night. The Sox beamed in the image of the Cub celebration on the scoreboard. Don' t tell me that was easy to take.

My main point was still this: When Jerry Reinsdorf should have been angry, he was talking about how optimistic he was. Sounds like a Cub fan to me. No that is true nonsense.

Kilroy
06-14-2003, 07:19 AM

I like this guy! Welcome!

Too many people tie their happiness to a combination of Sox success and Cub failure. I'm never less disappointed if the Cubs suck too.

I didn't feel better about Thursday nights game because the Cubs lost too.

Cubs = inconsequential.

Lip Man 1
06-14-2003, 12:47 PM
Cubs= inconsequental

Amen, brother! We've got enough major problems with the Sox to spend one iota of time concerning ourselves with the Cubs.

Lip

Gumshoe
06-14-2003, 12:52 PM
He blew that game against SF, flat out! He blew games against Arizona AND Cleveland? When we can't win close games, there is NO WAY we'll go on that hopeful "10 game winning streak"

REINSDORF must sell. Both he and KW are too proud and are complete failures. Douche bags.

Gummy