PDA

View Full Version : I Won't Blame Frank Thomas...

RKMeibalane
06-12-2003, 10:16 PM
...one bit if he decides to leave after this season. The Chicago White Sox are a joke, and it's a shame that a future Hall-of-Famer has to spend his days playing for such an awful team.

I'm looking forward to the year 2014. Frank has said that he wants to play until he's forty. That means 2008 will be his final season. He will be eligible for induction in 2013, and his ceremony will take place the following summer if he makes it in on the first ballot. That will be a great day, though it will be somewhat dissapointing to see such a great hitter enter the HOF wearing a Los Angeles Dodgers cap.

:selljerry

kevingrt
06-12-2003, 10:24 PM
Was he a pal with Dan Evans?

RKMeibalane
06-12-2003, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by kevingrt

Not that I know of, but all signs point to him being a Dodger next season. Fred McGriff is probably done after this year, so LA will need a new first baseman, and Frank has expressed interest in playing for a National League team.

One good thing that will come out of this is that Frank will have more chances to knock the crap out of Cubs pitching, since he'll see them on a more frequent basis.

FJA
06-12-2003, 10:34 PM
If we're going to talk about Frank in Hall of Fame terms, Uncle Jerry letting him leave could be as bad as the rift with Pudge.

Daver
06-12-2003, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by kevingrt

Dan Evans was an assistant scouting director to Larry Himes when Frank was drafted.

RKMeibalane
06-12-2003, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by FJA
If we're going to talk about Frank in Hall of Fame terms, Uncle Jerry letting him leave could be as bad as the rift with Pudge.

If not worse. Reinsdorf has a knack for alienating Sox players, especially the more prominent ones. The Carlton Fisk situation is just one example. Harold Baines seems to be the only Sox great who gets treated with any respect around the South Side. Everyone else gets mud thrown in their faces.

Chisoxfn
06-13-2003, 02:27 AM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
Not that I know of, but all signs point to him being a Dodger next season. Fred McGriff is probably done after this year, so LA will need a new first baseman, and Frank has expressed interest in playing for a National League team.

One good thing that will come out of this is that Frank will have more chances to knock the crap out of Cubs pitching, since he'll see them on a more frequent basis.

While Thomas isn't the problem this year, I won't shed a tear if he goes because I Think the Sox need to completely revamp the way they build a lineup. Enough of this out homer bs, they need to start building with obp guys that are patient at the plate, have good speed and can play defense.

You also need quality pitching, I do have some faith in the Sox developing that. Especially knowing they can get a boatload for Koch, Flash, Esteban, Buehrle, and Colon.

PaleHoseGeorge
06-13-2003, 08:15 AM
Originally posted by Chisoxfn
While Thomas isn't the problem this year, I won't shed a tear if he goes because I Think the Sox need to completely revamp the way they build a lineup. Enough of this out homer bs, they need to start building with obp guys that are patient at the plate, have good speed and can play defense.

You also need quality pitching, I do have some faith in the Sox developing that. Especially knowing they can get a boatload for Koch, Flash, Esteban, Buehrle, and Colon.

I agree the Sox need to rebuild, starting with ownership's managing partner and into the front office, plus field manager and the roster. However, if you're suggesting the Sox need to rebuild around OBP, Frank Thomas is the guy you keep. If this Sox team is a bunch of losers for being free swingers, the trouble lies with the younger hitters, not Frank.

Let's face it. The Sox are so screwed up, they have managed to squeeze exactly 2 playoff game wins out of the 14 teams (1990-2003) blessed with the greatest hitter in franchise history. Things are going to get a lot worse before they get better with the Sox once he is gone.

One step forward, two steps back. Typical Sox, really.

34 Inch Stick
06-13-2003, 10:00 AM
The way I understood his contract was that he and the team have mutual options for next year. I think Frank's option was for 5 million dollars and if he does not take the option the Sox have one at 8 million.

If this is true, how much more than 5 million is Frank going to make next year. He will be 36 years old and will be looking for at least 3 years at, I assume, more than six a year. I don't think Frank is going anywhere (at least I hope).

voodoochile
06-13-2003, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick
The way I understood his contract was that he and the team have mutual options for next year. I think Frank's option was for 5 million dollars and if he does not take the option the Sox have one at 8 million.

If this is true, how much more than 5 million is Frank going to make next year. He will be 36 years old and will be looking for at least 3 years at, I assume, more than six a year. I don't think Frank is going anywhere (at least I hope).

That's the way the contract works, but I think Frank's option is at $6M and he has to make his decision blind. Not knowing if the Sox will pick up the higher option. More of JR's games. I hope he has a monster year and then forces the Sox to make the call. If they let him walk away, we will know they just don't give a crap...

RKMeibalane
06-13-2003, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
I hope he has a monster year and then forces the Sox to make the call. If they let him walk away, we will know they just don't give a crap...

Agreed. If the Sox let Frank leave, I will not spend any money on tickets or other Sox merchandise until Reinsdorf sells the team. There's no sense in paying to watch a team run by people who don't care.

gosox41
06-13-2003, 04:41 PM

It would be a huge mistake to let Thomas leave. He is the best hitter the Sox have and is certainly not the reason the team is losing this season.

Bob

Nellie_Fox
06-13-2003, 11:39 PM
While Thomas isn't the problem this year, I won't shed a tear if he goes because I Think the Sox need to completely revamp the way they build a lineup. Enough of this out homer bs, they need to start building with obp guys that are patient at the plate, have good speed and can play defense. OBP? Patient at the plate? Frank's your guy. Speed? Well, he used to run pretty well for his size, but I think those days are behind him. Defense? His glove is average, he can't throw. Now, everyone here knows I'm a defense guy, but my first priority is "up the middle" defense, where the Sox are just horrible. First base is a position at which you can absorb an average glove to get some offense.

34 Inch Stick
06-14-2003, 10:15 AM
Not to mention keeping a still productive future hall of famer on one team for his entire career is essential to any team that would like to maintain a fan base into the future.

gosox41
06-14-2003, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick
Not to mention keeping a still productive future hall of famer on one team for his entire career is essential to any team that would like to maintain a fan base into the future.

:reinsy
You do realize whose fault it is if Frank leaves town when he's a free agent, don't you? I'll give you a couple of hints. First, it's not mine. Second, it's the fans fault for not supporting this team.

RKMeibalane
06-14-2003, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by gosox41
:reinsy
You do realize whose fault it is if Frank leaves town when he's a free agent, don't you? I'll give you a couple of hints. First, it's not mine. Second, it's the fans fault for not supporting this team.

This would be funnier if it weren't so close to the truth. Reinsdorf is an ass, and he's killing the Sox franchise by sitting around and doing nothing to make the team better.