PDA

View Full Version : *Official* Game Day Thread 6-12-03 White Sox vs Giants

Jjav829
06-12-2003, 06:46 PM
Use this thread and only this thread if you must post a comment about tonight's game. All other threads will be deleted! Otherwise, please join us in the WSI chat room (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/chat.php?s=) for a discussion of tonight's game.

Bartolo Colon faces Kirk Rueter to go for the series split.

spanishwhite
06-12-2003, 07:18 PM
You see Buerhle.

That's how you open a game.
The offense now feels like they have a chance and
the opposing pitcher cannot be relaxed knowing he
has a 4 run lead.

10 pitch 2k gem.
"Looks" like Bartolo wants number 7 badly.

And now Hurt his a 2-run shot.

Keep it up Bartolo.

fquaye149
06-12-2003, 07:58 PM
jjjjjjoe crrrrrede!

has he finally broken out?

time will tell

Unregistered
06-12-2003, 07:59 PM
Timely hitting is back... a few 2 out hits by Konerko and Crede and it's 4-1 Sox in the 4th. Save for Buerhle last night, the guys are finally getting it together it seems...

SoxxoS
06-12-2003, 08:48 PM
We weren't going to sweep the Giants anyway. 2 out of 3 with some timely hitting is a good step for this team.

chisoxt
06-12-2003, 09:06 PM
OK, what's JM going to do in the ninth? Bartolo or Koch?

RKMeibalane
06-12-2003, 09:17 PM
I think Unregistered is right. It seems to me that most of the team is starting to show signs of life. However, there are still a few players (SEE: Buehrle, Mark) who aren't pulling their weight, and that's preventing this team from really turning it on.

If Buehrle can't get it together by the All Star Break at the latest, then I think Williams and Reinsdorf should consider placing him on the DL and finding someone to take his spot in the rotation. I don't like the idea of KW making trades, but the Sox may have no choice. It does no good to win a few games, only to have Buehrle losing start after start. At this point, I think Manuel should consider skipping Mark's spot in the rotation, so that he won't pitch against Boston.

valposoxfan
06-12-2003, 09:27 PM
I AM GOING TO KILL MYSELF!!!!!!!!!! AND I'M TAKING JM WITH ME!!!!!!

kevingrt
One Word: CRAP

Bucktown
I saw that Bonds home run coming.

kevingrt
06-12-2003, 09:28 PM
Can we please pull Colon JM?

WhiteSox = Life
06-12-2003, 09:29 PM
The second Durham got on, you just knew Bonds was going deep.

:(:

RKMeibalane
06-12-2003, 09:32 PM
This isn't turning out well at all. Damn it!

valposoxfan
06-12-2003, 09:33 PM
I can't watch the rest of this season...how frustrating. That was an obvious balk. This team knows nothing. Our manager is clueless. Great outing by Colon. Should have never pitched to or seen Bonds. Clueless guys in charge. Damn.

ChiWhiteSox1337
06-12-2003, 09:34 PM
ugh, i hope JM uses marte for more than just 1 batter, since gordon is also up and jm has some sort of thing for gordon

valposoxfan
06-12-2003, 09:38 PM
Alright I don't want to be the bearer of bad news and "jump" off the bandwagon, but the Aurelia grand slam is the official elimination to this season. Another summer of disappointment. So much hope...

Bucktown
Originally posted by ChiWhiteSox1337
ugh, i hope JM uses marte for more than just 1 batter, since gordon is also up and jm has some sort of thing for gordon
One batter was enough for me.

WhiteSox = Life
See... This is yet another example why the Giants are annual World Series contenders while the White Sox watch TV in October...

Bisco Stu
06-12-2003, 09:40 PM
Living in SF sux right about now...

This game is a microcosm of this whole crap season.

A.T. Money
06-12-2003, 09:41 PM
3 Ks or not, you'll never get him 4 times. IBB to Bonds and take your chances.

I've never seen a ship sink so fast. Meanwhile, the Twins are hitting out of their collective minds.

This season is over.

kevingrt
06-12-2003, 09:42 PM
The worse thing is he never took Coloon out after that... he didn't even have anyone in the pen! Complete CRAP!

spanishwhite
06-12-2003, 09:45 PM
Im just wondering.

Was there anybody here that thought Colon should
challenge Bonds for the fourth time?

Bonds is one of the premier hitters in this game.

4 times is just pressing your luck.

Manuel has been challenging him all series.

Three straight games with hrs.

Good call Manuel.

RKMeibalane
06-12-2003, 09:46 PM
:selljerry

SoxxoS
06-12-2003, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
:selljerry

That sums up how I feel as well.

RKMeibalane
06-12-2003, 09:50 PM
Jerry Manuel gambled... and lost. He is fortunate that I am not the White Sox general manager. If I were, the first thing I would do after this game is fire him. He just isn't cut out to manage in the Major Leagues. Tonight's game is proof of that.

Bucktown
06-12-2003, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by spanishwhite
Im just wondering.

Was there anybody here that thought Colon should
challenge Bonds for the fourth time?

Bonds is one of the premier hitters in this game.

4 times is just pressing your luck.

Manuel has been challenging him all series.

Three straight games with hrs.

Good call Manuel.
With a man on first you have to go after the batter. The game was lost when Ray got his hit on a two-strike count. You can't give the tying run an intentional walk. That would be insane.

In general there isn't much to secod-guess here. Colon has been great at closing games. He was the right man for the job. The defense had two great playsin the 9th. Bartolo just fel apart in away he had never fallen apart before.

FJA
06-12-2003, 09:55 PM
Whether or not Manuel is qualified, he needs to go soon. This team needs a shakeup, especially after the last two games. I can't believe this game will do much other than inspire some good ol' corpseball.

valposoxfan
06-12-2003, 09:56 PM
When it is Bonds, you gamble and walk him. Colon shouldn't have even faced him after the base hit. Was anyone in the Sox dugout watching last nite and two nites ago when Bond's was at the plate??

Blueprint1
06-12-2003, 09:56 PM
With BONDS up you would pitch to him. I was sitting there going you know hes not going to get hom out aginnn BOOM!!!!!!! i was like why isnt Marte in the game???????? noone was warming up FIRE THIS BUM PLEASE HE IS A BUM a stupid BUM I cant believe there is one person that still likes JM on this board. If you still like JM you are just stupid.

A.T. Money
06-12-2003, 09:58 PM
Bonds is arguably the greatest hitter of all time. You let those others beat you in that situation.

valposoxfan
06-12-2003, 09:59 PM
Good call Blueprint. It's not even the fact that Bonds was pitched to, it's the fact that Colon faced him and that there was NO ONE in the bullpen. I can't even begin to fathom what Anna Nicole Manuel was thinking!!!!

spanishwhite
06-12-2003, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by Bucktown
With a man on first you have to go after the batter. The game was lost when Ray got his hit on a two-strike count. You can't give the tying run an intentional walk. That would be insane.

In general there isn't much to secod-guess here. Colon has been great at closing games. He was the right man for the job. The defense had two great playsin the 9th. Bartolo just fel apart in away he had never fallen apart before.

Colon has never faced Bonds in the ninth before.
Who has he shut down in the ninth, besides the Indians, dodgers, and actually I cant think of any other team that he shut down. I do remember a team taking away a shutout in the ninth in a 4-0 game. But this game was 4-2 with one of the greatest hr hitters in the HISTORY of the game. Oh my god, how stupid was it. The more that I think about it the more I lose my mind.

Why would it be insane to put the tying run on base when you avoid the premier hr hitter in the game?

If Santiago would have hit a hr or even a double off of Colon, then imagine what Bonds would have done. No, instead you let a great hitter get a FOURTH look at Colon. Guess who won.

duke of dorwood
06-12-2003, 10:13 PM
He certainly should have got nothing to hit, the whole NL walks that guy. We had to get DURHAM out, and we didn't. But having no one ready, in case, was inexcusable. Even when I dont blame the manager completely, he finds a way to compound bad situations.

jeremyb1
06-12-2003, 10:14 PM
so everyone's stance here is manuel deserves to lose his job for waiting one batter too long to get someone up in the pen? that's it? i would've had someone warm up after durham got but the pen was active as soon as bonds hit the home run. how many pitches did colon even throw to bonds? 2 or 3 tops. so...if manuel had gotten the pen up 30 seconds to a minute earlier he would've made the right moves but instead he didn't so the entire loss is his fault?! good logic there.

valposoxfan
06-12-2003, 10:17 PM
Yeah Jeremy, because of one instance we think he should lose his job. Have you been conscious the last three seasons??

valposoxfan
06-12-2003, 10:18 PM
...and by the way, the bullpen should have been up at the beginning of the inning.

RKMeibalane
06-12-2003, 10:22 PM
Ray Durham is probably laughing his ass off in the Giants clubhouse right now. I would be, because this team is ****ing joke.

FJA
06-12-2003, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by valposoxfan
...and by the way, the bullpen should have been up at the beginning of the inning.

Yes, they should've been. Might it have irked Colon a little? Possibly, but there is no excuse for Manuel taking chances with BARRY BONDS when his championship-calibur team is seven games under .500. He needed a plan in case Ray got on base, and guess what? Ray got on base.

Believe me, I used to be a Manuel apologist, but I just can't do it anymore (and no, it's not just because of this game ... I second the "last three seasons" comment).

jeremyb1
06-12-2003, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by FJA
Yes, they should've been. Might it have irked Colon a little? Possibly, but there is no excuse for Manuel taking chances with BARRY BONDS when his championship-calibur team is seven games under .500. He needed a plan in case Ray got on base, and guess what? Ray got on base.

Believe me, I used to be a Manuel apologist, but I just can't do it anymore (and no, it's not just because of this game ... I second the "last three seasons" comment).

again i would just love to see someone make a comment remotely ressembling this if we'd won the game.i know all of you had watched colon dominate for 8 inning and we're sitting in your homes when ray stepped into the batters box to start the 8th saying "i really hope manuel has someone warming in the pen i just know colon will blow this."

Jjav829
06-12-2003, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
so everyone's stance here is manuel deserves to lose his job for waiting one batter too long to get someone up in the pen? that's it? i would've had someone warm up after durham got but the pen was active as soon as bonds hit the home run. how many pitches did colon even throw to bonds? 2 or 3 tops. so...if manuel had gotten the pen up 30 seconds to a minute earlier he would've made the right moves but instead he didn't so the entire loss is his fault?! good logic there.

Where the hell have you been? It's not like this is a one time occurence that Manuel has screwed up and people have said he should be fired. There have been a ton of threads just about Manuel as a manager and his use of the bullpen. No, he shouldn't be fired just because of this one instance. He should be fired because of this one combined with the previous 50 times hes messed up.

duke of dorwood
06-12-2003, 10:37 PM
And he should be fired for 3 years of undisciplined, underachieving baseball. It just comes to a head on nights like this , which happen more and more often

jeremyb1
06-12-2003, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by Jjav829
Where the hell have you been? It's not like this is a one time occurence that Manuel has screwed up and people have said he should be fired. There have been a ton of threads just about Manuel as a manager and his use of the bullpen. No, he shouldn't be fired just because of this one instance. He should be fired because of this one combined with the previous 50 times hes messed up.

that may be the reality but that's never the way people articulate it. everyone says "its manuel's fault we lost tonight he should be fired". everyone always gets upset after losses like this so they decide to place the blame solely on one person. its not colon's fault for trying to challenge bonds when he was the tying run. its not marte's fault for making a bad pitch to aurillia. we gave up 6 runs in one inning and people would act as though manuel was the one pitching.

i think its a huge cop out to always blame everything on manuel instead of looking at the numerous factors which determine the outcome of a game. it may let everyone here sleep at night to say we have a great team and everything that goes wrong is manuel's fault, but it doesn't help me to. how can you be unaware of the absurdity that goes into thinking that if manuel had warmed up a reliever a couple of pitches sooner we'd be winning all our games but instead we're this many games under and its all entirely his fault. every game boils down to one decision made by jerry manuel and that and only that decides whether we win or lose. i'll bet some of you guys wish you were managers, you could win 100 with the d-rays.

as i've said before i have no problem if manuel gets canned at this point. i'd love everyone here to try to explain how we'd then be the only team in the history of the game that employed two managers in a season that caused us to lose every single close game.

Bisco Stu
06-12-2003, 11:44 PM
JM was right to let Colon face Bonds. It was a thrilling moment. The Giants announcers even said that was "old school."

However, JM should ALSO have had someone warming up to start the 9th. Once Bonds hit the HR, bring in Marte.

JM doesn't see the big picture often enough, as unbelievable as that seems for a big-league manager.

WALLY BACKMAN--NOW!!!