PDA

View Full Version : Steve Philips fired

gosox41
06-12-2003, 05:36 PM
The Mets GM was fired, which makes me wish more and more that Sox fans were lucky enough to see KW fired. Some people think it's hard to fire a GM midseason because the new guy would have a hard time catching up with the trade deadline, draft ,etc. Personally, I'd rather have a new GM that knows how to make a good trade when it's time for the Sox to begin their inevitable rebuilding come July 31.

Bob

kevingrt
06-12-2003, 05:44 PM
KW I don't think is to blame for this teams faults. You gotta put the blame on the players sometime!

gosox41
06-12-2003, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by kevingrt
KW I don't think is to blame for this teams faults. You gotta put the blame on the players sometime!

I do to an extent, but I think KW is a bigger problem for the team then just the personnel moves he makes. I think the players resent him and his presence. There's been numerous incidents mentioned here the last few years where he's iterferred with the clubhouse and undermined JM. Maybe the players don't believe in playing hard for him. Players have quit on managment before. And I don't mean quit by just not trying. I mean quit in the sens of not doing the little things to help the team win.

Maybe someone with ties to the team can answer this question. Phil Rogers has mentioned that the players like and respect Manuel. How do the players and Manuel feel about Kenny Williams and his presence in the clubhouse?

Phil, Grobber, or Steff: I'd love to hear what you have to say on this.

Bob

soxtalker
06-12-2003, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by kevingrt

KW can be evaluated in a number of ways.

There's the trades and choice of players on the field. He's had a few good trades -- Colon being one of the best examples -- but he's also had some horrible ones. Maybe he's learning, maybe not. The current team may be underperforming, and he may be contributing to that as gosox41 points out. Even if they were performing as they "should", I think that there are a number of holes -- particularly defensively.

But what concerns me most is that the Sox system doesn't seem to be in very good shape. KW had much to do with that even before he became GM. One can argue with BA's exact ranking, but probably not their estimate that our minor-league system has moved down in the overall scheme of things. (That is to be expected to some degree if you stop getting high draft picks, but we haven't been that good.) And we continually have teams that make mental and physical errors -- play bad fundamental baseball. Shouldn't KW be responsible for some of that?

MHOUSE
06-12-2003, 08:22 PM
Well it's nice to see that some teams make changes and try to right the ship when they see a weakness or area of concern. The Mets have some odd millions dollars on the DL and have come up way short of expectation for like 3 years in a row. Maybe the Sox org. will notice the same trend here (except for the injuries, with which we've been lucky).

soxtalker
06-12-2003, 09:03 PM
The Mets and Sox make an interesting comparison. I some respects they are in similar situations -- 2nd favorite teams in their respective cities. The general impression is that the media and fan pressure in NYC to win is much greater than in Chicago. The Sox don't draw when they lose; I'm not sure whether the same is true for the Mets.

A common theme on this board is that JR won't spend until the fans support the team. I always wonder if there is a threat lurking behind this that he will move the team if attendance falls far enough. Whether that could happen is debated on this board from time to time. I doubt that it ever crosses the mind of a Mets fan that a similar thing could happen there (and it probably can't for the forseeable future).

Bisco Stu
06-12-2003, 09:43 PM
As (easily) the biggest Mets fan on this board, I'm GLAD! Too many knucklehead 70's style bad free agent signings by Phillips.