PDA

View Full Version : fat boy on tv

ihatethecubs
08-21-2001, 01:31 AM
anyone catch fat david wells on the best damn piece of crap show period? he was saying great chicago is. i wonder what genius quotes he will have to say about chicago if he comes back with new york next year and the fans give him hell. hes fat, hes 38, he has prooved hes done, and he thinks he can still pitch.

Randar68
08-21-2001, 08:25 AM
i wonder what genius quotes he will have to say about chicago if he comes back with new york next year and the fans give him hell. hes fat, hes 38, he has prooved hes done, and he thinks he can still pitch.

I actually think he will pitch and pitch well next year. He still has his velocity, command, and breaking pitches. He was hurting in almost all his starts but the first few this year....

I'm not saying Cy Young, but 14-15 wins and a low 4's ERA. I would like to see the Sox bring him back at a much lower price. I just don't see a rotation consisting of nobody who's ever pitched more than 1 full season as a starter in the majors being a WS contending team....

voodoochile
08-21-2001, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by Randar68

I actually think he will pitch and pitch well next year. He still has his velocity, command, and breaking pitches. He was hurting in almost all his starts but the first few this year....

I'm not saying Cy Young, but 14-15 wins and a low 4's ERA. I would like to see the Sox bring him back at a much lower price. I just don't see a rotation consisting of nobody who's ever pitched more than 1 full season as a starter in the majors being a WS contending team....

Randar, I agree 100%. one year $3 million with incentives to $7 million and a club option for 2003 should get it done. He can be a valuable starter and an innings eater, not to mention he can continue his tutoring of the youngsters. I for one do not consider it a coincidence at all that the minute he left the team Kip went into the tank.

SP 2002
Boomer
BurlyMon
JG
Kip
Wright

RP 2002
Foulke
Howrey (unfortunately)
Osuna
Wunsch
Parque
Glover
Barcelo
(yeah, I know that's 12, but I don't know who to dump. I wish they would trade Howrey, but with his just having signed a reasonable contract, I just don't see them dumping him)

Sorry Lowe, I guess you get traded, probably Rocky too. Simas takes the FA route. Too many pitchers. Time to start looking at package deals for catchers, CF and/or veteran starters if they decide not to bring back Boomer...

Fisk Fan
08-21-2001, 09:40 AM
not to mention he can continue his tutoring of the youngsters.

This is a great point! Buehrle would not be anywhere near this years numbers w/o D. Wells. If he can do the same for some of the other kids, we might be building towards dominance for the next 6-8 years. Even though he might be a dent in the pocket book, it might be a wise move to bring him back next year. IMHO, his expertise will pay huge dividends in the long run.