PDA

View Full Version : *Official* Game Day Thread 6-11-03 White Sox vs Giants


Jjav829
06-11-2003, 06:42 PM
Use this thread and only this thread if you must post a comment about tonight's game. All other threads will be deleted! Otherwise, please join us in the WSI chat room (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/chat.php?s=) for a discussion of tonight's game.

Mark Buehrle looks to gets some damn run support for a change vs Jesse Foppert and the Giants.

Blueprint1
06-11-2003, 07:19 PM
MB stinks now he has no command of his pitches. Once he gets a runner on base you know someone is going to score. It seems like he has turned into the new Garland. and Garland has become the old MB

ilsox7
06-11-2003, 07:19 PM
That's nice Mark...get us down 4-0 in 1 inning then laugh as you walk off the mound.

SoxxoS
06-11-2003, 07:21 PM
We can get to Foppert and we will, just a hunch.

Final score Giants 4 White Sox 2. :smile:

Blueprint1
06-11-2003, 07:22 PM
The K zone already looks different for the two pitchers.

Blueprint1
06-11-2003, 07:23 PM
Young crappy pitcher will look like an ace tonight.

T Dog
06-11-2003, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by ilsox7
That's nice Mark...get us down 4-0 in 1 inning then laugh as you walk off the mound.

Maybe MB was considering the irony. If he had given up a pop up instead of a slam, the Giants only would have scored three.

WhiteSox = Life
06-11-2003, 07:46 PM
This game doesn't look all that great, but a few runs from the Sox would change that outlook... Unless the Giants score again.

What was that graphic they showed before the Feliz home run? Buehrle has given up 16 runs in the 1st inning (12 earned)? It was something like that. It's now 20 R, 16 ER?

For somebody who knows what they're doing, could you possibly calculate Mark's ERA if he doesn't allow those 16 runs in the 1st innings?

Just wondering what it would look like...

ilsox7
06-11-2003, 08:01 PM
So I'm wondering...does this team actually watch video of opposing pitchers or maybe read a scouting report?

fquaye149
06-11-2003, 08:08 PM
i wish buehrle would WORK AHEAD OF BATTERS FOR CHRIST'S SAKE.

maybe if he wouldn't GET BEHIND OF EVERY SINGLE GODDAMN HITTER he wouldn't give up FIRST INNING GRAND SLAMS AND DOUBLES TO PEOPLE HITTING .240

siugrad25
06-11-2003, 08:09 PM
Let's see... It's the 5th inning and the Sox have no hits and one base runner off Foppert, who has a 4.26 ERA. Boy, we sure know how to ruin momentum. Why is it always the crap pitchers that beat us?

And now it's 6-0!!!! Time to think about Thursday night.

duke of dorwood
06-11-2003, 08:09 PM
So many times, as Frank Gifford would say, they get handcuffed by pitchers they havent seen. The scouting is awful and Burly Man will now be 2-10

siugrad25
06-11-2003, 08:10 PM
8-0... I feel much better now!!!

ilsox7
06-11-2003, 08:12 PM
MB is going for a different kind of 20 this year...and I say let him go for it, with his attitude.

RKMeibalane
06-11-2003, 08:13 PM
I will never understand how a team can have so much trouble when facing relatively obscure or otherwise unknown pitchers. Foppert is supposed to be a highly-touted prospect, but that shouldn't stop the Sox, who are more experienced than he is, from scoring a few runs against him.

It looks like Corpseball has returned.

valposoxfan
06-11-2003, 08:13 PM
Buehrle currently counting how much money he COULD have had in the off season. Whiny piece of crap didn't deserve to have a good season after the crap he pulled in the offseason. Go to St. Louis... Well looks like the winning streak is OVER!!! In an emphatic way too. No hitter maybe...

valposoxfan
06-11-2003, 08:16 PM
...and the Twins have a comfortable lead...

RKMeibalane
06-11-2003, 08:18 PM
Mark Buehrle wants to pitch for St. Louis. The Cardinals can have him as far as I'm concerned. He can't get anyone out, he doesn't take his job seriously, and yet he has the audacity to ask Jerry Reinsdorf for more money. The sad thing is, JR will probably give him a big contract after the season, and the Sox will be stuck will be stuck with a salad-thrower who can't get hitters out.

RKMeibalane
06-11-2003, 08:25 PM
A part of me hopes the Sox are no-hit tonight. Why? If that's what it takes to bring Jerry Reinsdorf out of his hibernation trance, then I'm all for it. This team had a chance to get something going and pick up ground on Minnesota, but once again, they've thrown that away.

Is Konerko playing tonight? He should be benched for the remainder of the homestand. I don't care if he's not happy sitting out. His numbers are horrible. Why JR agreed to pay him eight million a year is beyond me. Let Brian Daubach play. At least he's hitting above .200 this season.

siugrad25
06-11-2003, 08:30 PM
So the Sox got a hit... Thanks Rios!!!

And no Konerko tonight... btw

duke of dorwood
06-11-2003, 08:30 PM
How come no one talks about Buehrle going to the bullpen?

duke of dorwood
06-11-2003, 08:34 PM
Buehrle throwing salad and Glover's throwing Cole Slaw

MisterB
06-11-2003, 08:39 PM
Both start out young with a couple of good seasons and then go to crap. Bere went 24-7 his first 2 seasons and then in his 3rd wound up 8-15 with a 7.19 era and hasn't done squat since. On the bright side, going to arbitration with Buehrle won't be nearly as painful on JR's pocketbook.

Blueprint1
06-11-2003, 08:42 PM
I feel bad for the people that had to sit though that one

ilsox7
06-11-2003, 09:00 PM
I feel bad for anyone who actually pays cash to see this uninspired bunch of "players."

lowesox
06-11-2003, 09:10 PM
A three game win streak - where we look really good. And what do the sox do? They get really content with themselves. Apparently, they played so good in the last couple games that they didn't even feel obliged to show up tonight. This is the same story time, and time again with this team. Whenever they win a few in a row...

Why? Because they have no heart. It's a real disapointment to be their fan.

MRKARNO
06-11-2003, 09:38 PM
I hope they isolate this game and pretend like there was no game between last night and tomorrow's game

gosox41
06-11-2003, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by lowesox
A three game win streak - where we look really good. And what do the sox do? They get really content with themselves. Apparently, they played so good in the last couple games that they didn't even feel obliged to show up tonight. This is the same story time, and time again with this team. Whenever they win a few in a row...

Why? Because they have no heart. It's a real disapointment to be their fan.

How do we only get 1 hit off this guy..whatever his name is. Doesn't this team use scouting reports?

Bob

Viva Magglio
06-11-2003, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by Blueprint1
I feel bad for the people that had to sit though that one

I thank you, for I was there until the sixth inning tonight. It felt like the kind of weather appropriate for a fall football game. As far as I'm concerned, they played like they didn't give a damn. I don't know what the hell Jimenez was doing when he missed that seeing eye single before Bonds' blast.

And to make matters worse, you know what they did on the DiamondVision between Buehrle and Glover? They had the Gatorade Sports Update and showed highlights of the Cubs beating up on the Orioles. As if the fans aren't pissed enough that the Sox are losing, what the hell was the scoreboard staff thinking? Now our own ballpark is overtly pouring salt on the open wound.

Kilroy
06-11-2003, 10:04 PM
The Hawk and DJ Bobble heads made it all worthwhile....

Special thanks to Armando Rios for breaking up the no-no. If he hadn't gotten a hit, we'd have stayed until there was one or the game ended. Because of that, I didn't have to suffer thru the next 5 SF tallies...

FJA
06-11-2003, 11:44 PM
So I'm wondering...does this team actually watch video of opposing pitchers

Well, they would, but that Meet the Parents is just too damn funny.

What a horrible game.

jeremyb1
06-11-2003, 11:49 PM
this thread is an embarassment. it takes one game for everyone to jump off the bandwagon? buehrle gave up 8 runs, how are we supposed to win the game? i don't care how good we are when your ace gives up 8 runs nothing short of a miracle allows for you to win the game.

as for our hitting, foppert is one of the best young pitchers in the game. this isn't mike maroth. if garland and buehrle are capable of pitching good games as they have in the past that foppert is more than capable of shutting us down. we scored 4 in two innings once he was pulled. retreating back to the "corpseball" refrain without actually analyzing the game is such a cop out.

people need to form an opinion and keep it for more than a day. if you felt this team was playing better before tonight then the fact that one player on the team pitched poorly and we struggled against a good young starter doesn't mean the season is now over.

kermittheefrog
06-11-2003, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
this thread is an embarassment. it takes one game for everyone to jump off the bandwagon? buehrle gave up 8 runs, how are we supposed to win the game? i don't care how good we are when your ace gives up 8 runs nothing short of a miracle allows for you to win the game.


Ace? I didn't see Colon out there.

A.T. Money
06-12-2003, 12:46 AM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
Ace? I didn't see Colon out there.

You mean Loaiza?

Loaiza is the ace of this team my friend.

siugrad25
06-12-2003, 01:16 AM
First off, Buehrle is not our "ace" this season. I would love to defend and justify his 2-10 record this season as horrible luck and lack of run support (in his last 11 starts, the team has supported him with 17 total runs), but utimately, I can't. While some of his numbers hold water, you can't excuse some of his first-inning gaffs including last night's debacle. I hope my "ace" would have better than a 5-something ERA.

As for the ripping on the Sox or jumping off the bandwagon after a three victories in a row, I think Sox fans have a right to criticize this team after a loss like this. Sure they were going against a young pitcher that is loaded with talent, but after two wins against a stingy Dodger pitching staff (including scoring a 10 spot), and Tuesday's 5-3 win over the Giants, you would hope that with a pitcher sporting a 4-something ERA on the mound you would score more than four late and meaningless runs and not getting blown out. Without criticism, we would be Cub fans. And I'm proud to be a White Sox fan and have such great fans that want to win and aren't afraid to 'tell it like it is.'

As for me, I'm pulling for a series win tonight and will always criticize or compliment this team as long as I'm alive, because I'm a fan and one of these days we're going to get it right.

spanishwhite
06-12-2003, 02:10 AM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
this thread is an embarassment. it takes one game for everyone to jump off the bandwagon? buehrle gave up 8 runs, how are we supposed to win the game? i don't care how good we are when your ace gives up 8 runs nothing short of a miracle allows for you to win the game.

as for our hitting, foppert is one of the best young pitchers in the game. this isn't mike maroth. if garland and buehrle are capable of pitching good games as they have in the past that foppert is more than capable of shutting us down. we scored 4 in two innings once he was pulled. retreating back to the "corpseball" refrain without actually analyzing the game is such a cop out.

people need to form an opinion and keep it for more than a day. if you felt this team was playing better before tonight then the fact that one player on the team pitched poorly and we struggled against a good young starter doesn't mean the season is now over.

I said last night that we shouldnt look for a sweep. We win tommorrow and we will have just won two series against the two best NL West teams. And with Colon v. Rueter, no disrespect to Rueter, but the odds are in our favorite. If we had better luck it would have been 3 series in a row.

PS. You might want to rethink that ace theory you have. I have a hard time calling him the number 4 pitcher at this point.

jeremyb1
06-12-2003, 02:12 AM
first of all, if you actually think i was attempting to make an argument that buehrle has been our best pitcher this season, discussing any of this just isn't worth it.

when you build a baseball team to compete, you do so at the beginning of the season and base your expectations on past sesaons. if the dbacks lose a game that batista pitches this week, their team isn't losing because the best starter currently in their rotation didn't pitch well. they're losing games because their two best starters are on the dl. based on the aforementioned criteria, buehrle is one of our aces. based on the expectations used to build this team and assess its chances of competing, if buehrle loses 20 games the playoffs are out of the question.

dealing with buehrle's performance this season more specifically, he's posted quality starts in 9 of his 14 starts this season. that isn't outstanding but if you actually think that our team should've expected buehrle to give up 8 runs in less than 5 ip based on his performance this season, and somehow found a way to adapt so that we could win the game anyways by scoring 12 runs against a good pitcher, you're out of your mind. if you expect buehrle to secure losses for this team in the majority of his starts when he pitches well enough to win in two thirds of them, again you should reconsider.

spanishwhite
06-12-2003, 02:12 AM
Originally posted by siugrad25

I think Sox fans have a right to criticize this team after a loss like this. Sure they were going against a young pitcher that is loaded with talent, but after two wins against a stingy Dodger pitching staff (including scoring a 10 spot), and Tuesday's 5-3 win over the Giants, you would hope that with a pitcher sporting a 4-something ERA on the mound you would score more than four late and meaningless runs and not getting blown out. Without criticism, we would be Cub fans. And I'm proud to be a White Sox fan and have such great fans that want to win and aren't afraid to 'tell it like it is.'

As for me, I'm pulling for a series win tonight and will always criticize or compliment this team as long as I'm alive, because I'm a fan and one of these days we're going to get it right.

Great quote!

almost inspiring :smile:

jeremyb1
06-12-2003, 03:30 AM
Originally posted by siugrad25
As for the ripping on the Sox or jumping off the bandwagon after a three victories in a row, I think Sox fans have a right to criticize this team after a loss like this. Sure they were going against a young pitcher that is loaded with talent, but after two wins against a stingy Dodger pitching staff (including scoring a 10 spot), and Tuesday's 5-3 win over the Giants, you would hope that with a pitcher sporting a 4-something ERA on the mound you would score more than four late and meaningless runs and not getting blown out. Without criticism, we would be Cub fans. And I'm proud to be a White Sox fan and have such great fans that want to win and aren't afraid to 'tell it like it is.'

As for me, I'm pulling for a series win tonight and will always criticize or compliment this team as long as I'm alive, because I'm a fan and one of these days we're going to get it right.

i have no problem with criticisms of tonight's game in general. buehrle didn't pitch well and we probably should've hit better. i don't mind criticisms of that variety because they are specific and direct. what i have problems with is people talking about how well we'd been playing and then resorting to "this team is terrible" "the return of corpseball", "something needs to be done to shake this team up", "fire manuel", etc. its one game out of 162. we've been playing well lately and one game shouldn't alter a fan's stance towards the team so drastically.

MisterB
06-12-2003, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by siugrad25
Without criticism, we would be Cub fans. And I'm proud to be a White Sox fan and have such great fans that want to win and aren't afraid to 'tell it like it is.'

White Sox Fans: We Bitch Because We Care. :smile: