PDA

View Full Version : Sheffield

Konerko05
06-11-2003, 05:48 PM
Wow is Gary Sheffield a moron. I just saw him on ESPN in some kind of interview and he was defending Sosa.

Not only did he say people are being too harsh on Sosa, he brought up the race card. What the hell does race have to do with anything?? If people in baseball and fans were racist, then why is Sosa loved on a national level?? And its not even like he's being treated harshly, he is getting off pretty easy if you ask me.

But I guess I forgive Sheffield for these comments because he seems about as smart as a pile of rocks. I don't even think he knew what he was talking about.

Spiff
06-11-2003, 06:26 PM
Oh I see, because he's black he's automatically dumb.

soxnut
06-11-2003, 06:32 PM
I am so tired of the race-card stuff. That is such an insult to everyone.... :(:

T Dog
06-11-2003, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by Spiff

Purposely misplaying fly balls in the outfield in hopes of inspiring your team to trade you is a symptom of selfish stupidity, as are many of the things Sheffield has said in the past. Sheffield is dumb. Apparently he happens to be black as well.

pearso66
06-11-2003, 07:42 PM
I sure hope that post was supposed to be in teal

Hullett_Fan
06-11-2003, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by Konerko05
Wow is Gary Sheffield a moron.

I'd sure love to have him on our team. The man can just plain hit! And that's what he's paid to do...so who cares what he thinks or says.

WinningUgly!
06-12-2003, 12:44 AM
How anybody can say race is an issue, with people being too hard on Sosa* is beyond me. As long as I have followed sports, I've never seen a guy who finished 2nd get as much credit & ooohs & ahhhs as he has. Sosa* had 66 HRs to McGwire's 70 in '98, but always seems to be credited as the guy who saved baseball, with Big Mac (the white guy) almost an afterthought.

The whole Sosa*/Corkgate episode to the average baseball fan is a lot like a kid who is a little too old to still believe in Santa Claus when they finally figure it out.....The signs have been there for a long time. They've heard all their friends whispering about it, but they didn't want to hear it. They wanted to keep believing it was all real. When Sammy's bat exploded last week, it was just like when the little kid caught his dad stuffing a pillow in the Santa suit & putting on the fake beard. Going to bed on Christmas Eve is never the same for the kid. He thinks about the last few years & how he was fooled into believing by his parents. Baseball fans all around the country now feel this way about Sosa*. The guy who saved the game for millions of baseball fans has now been exposed as a fraud. Of course many of them will now turn on him! Good thing us Sox fans have been on to him for a long time. :D:

jeremyb1
06-12-2003, 02:01 AM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!
How anybody can say race is an issue, with people being too hard on Sosa* is beyond me. As long as I have followed sports, I've never seen a guy who finished 2nd get as much credit & ooohs & ahhhs as he has. Sosa* had 66 HRs to McGwire's 70 in '98, but always seems to be credited as the guy who saved baseball, with Big Mac (the white guy) almost an afterthought.

The whole Sosa*/Corkgate episode to the average baseball fan is a lot like a kid who is a little too old to still believe in Santa Claus when they finally figure it out.....The signs have been there for a long time. They've heard all their friends whispering about it, but they didn't want to hear it. They wanted to keep believing it was all real. When Sammy's bat exploded last week, it was just like when the little kid caught his dad stuffing a pillow in the Santa suit & putting on the fake beard. Going to bed on Christmas Eve is never the same for the kid. He thinks about the last few years & how he was fooled into believing by his parents. Baseball fans all around the country now feel this way about Sosa*. The guy who saved the game for millions of baseball fans has now been exposed as a fraud. Of course many of them will now turn on him! Good thing us Sox fans have been on to him for a long time. :D:

i happen to disagree with sheff on this particular issue but i think its insulting to call him dumb just because you disagree. i think its ignorant to deny there are any race issues in baseball. sheffield has proven himself to be articulate on the subject before and just because he's less articulate on this issue doesn't mean he should be insulted. he's an incredible baseball player and hasn't shown himself to be anything less than an honorable man.

34 Inch Stick
06-12-2003, 09:07 AM
No Jeremy I think he has proven himself to be rather ignorant and inarticulate on the issue. He brings it up at just about every major interview he grants, yet I have yet to hear a well thought out point by him.

I think the last time he brought up the point was in comparing himself to Shawn Green, during one of Green's monster seasons. The numbers just did not work.

Just because he can't shake the labels that were deservedly attached to him during his Milwaukee days does not make the baseball fans racist. Just because people remember his uncle more for his drug problems than for his absolutely spectacular ability does not make baseball fans racist.

This game has welcomed the world to join like no other. It makes stars out of people who are foreign to this country and cannot speak the language. It has effectively addressed issues of minorities in leadership positions. On the field it is a festival of nations. It is starting to become so in management.

Hangar18
06-12-2003, 09:19 AM
Sosa shouldve just Owned up to what he did. and Taken the Suspension immediately. Instead, he waited a little while, called
the commissioner at home, had a couple innings Lag Time to
get Rid of Any Other Bats he had, then decided to "Appeal" the
suspension. What a bunch of BS. He has FOREVER lost
the REspect of a Baseball Fan. All his records, will have an
* asterisk next to them. How Juiced was he? How many corked
bats did he use?

Hangar18
06-12-2003, 09:21 AM
No Steroids and No Corked Bats and funny how the Mighty
Have Fallen. How Many Homers does he have this year?
Post Juice/Cork that is?

SaltyPretzel
06-12-2003, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
i he's an incredible baseball player and hasn't shown himself to be anything less than an honorable man.

I agree with you about his abilities. However, he admitted to making throwing errors while with the Brewers so he would be traded. That seems pretty dishonorable to me. Other players have been banned from the game for doing basically the same thing. :?:

soxrme
06-12-2003, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by Spiff

How the hell did you get that out of what was posted?

Spiff
06-12-2003, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by soxrme
How the hell did you get that out of what was posted?

I didn't, I just said it to see what kind of reactions I would get.

ScottyTheSoxFan
06-12-2003, 12:30 PM
comments about race from pedro and sheffield annoy me. it doesnt matter what race sammy is, HE WAS CAUGHT CHEATING! thats all that matters.