Hangar18
06-11-2003, 12:25 PM
What a bunch of BS. He shouldve gotten more. How does
appealing mean you automatically get a Reduction? Is this
League a SHAM or what? And he gets to serve them Now
that hes good and Ready ??

Iguana775
06-11-2003, 12:27 PM
they should have increased it for wasting their time.

Mo308oM
06-11-2003, 12:28 PM
i aint sure of this- but wasnt belle given 10 games and he wasnt even caught with the bat and sosa was caught playing with the cork and he gets 7?!?!... thats not fair.

white sox bill
06-11-2003, 12:29 PM
No wonder people don't like pro baseball..Thanks MLB and Corky, as a baseball fan I'm ashamed of him and to have him in Chicago, thank God he's a Flub

Iguana775
06-11-2003, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by Mo308oM
i aint sure of this- but wasnt belle given 10 games and he wasnt even caught with the bat and sosa was caught playing with the cork and he gets 7?!?!... thats not fair.

But it is all racial and they are trying to keep the savior down!

LOL.

Kilroy
Originally posted by Hangar18
What a bunch of BS. He shouldve gotten more. How does
appealing mean you automatically get a Reduction? Is this
League a SHAM or what? And he gets to serve them Now
that hes good and Ready ??

MLB should be embarrassed. It took them 8 days to actually enforce the damn suspension for Sham-ass using a corked bat.

Three days for a bunch of show-boat investigation of other bats that had nothing to do with the crime.

When the penatly was announced, midday Friday, someone from MLB offices could have been in Chicago since they were creamin themselves over the Cub/Yankee series and were likely to be here for that anyway.

A convenient 3 day delay to get Shammy on the field for all 3 versus the Crankees, then they go to Baltimore to hear his appeal.

Then he gets the penalty reduced? On what grounds is it reduced?

What a joke.

soxrme
Did you really think that Bud Selig and baseball would not have him there for the Yankee series? Selig and his people are a sham at best. I was surprised they didn't make it 5 games.

cheeses_h_rice
06-11-2003, 12:49 PM
I'm surprised they didn't add 8 more games to the Flubs schedule and let Sham-ME* bat every time, thereby offering him an unprecedented chance to pad his stats.

harwar
06-11-2003, 12:53 PM
Too bad all the kids love corky so much.He couldn't have set a worse example that to cheat and lie and,not only get away with it,but still called a "hero".What a jerk.I hope the fans around baseball make his life a living hell out there in right field.

Foulke You
06-11-2003, 01:06 PM
The sad part of all this is that I fear Sosa will come out of this smelling like roses. It's ridiculous. He gets a game taken off for what reason? His other bats weren't corked? Unreal.

Sammy deserves every bit of abuse heaped upon him when the Cubs go on the road. Don't know if anyone posted this but apparently a fan at Camden Yards ran onto the field last night and threw cork at Sosa. Good. Not to advocate fans running on the field but since MLB isn't going to dish out the punishment then I am glad fans are making things difficult for the Shamster. The ultimate abuse awaits Sammy in Chicago when he travels to 35th and Shields on June 27th.

RibbieRubarb
06-11-2003, 01:14 PM
MLB should beware the precedent they set...
Next guy who gets caught could demand his bats be checked (after a several inning wait) and request his suspension reduced...

doogiec
06-11-2003, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by Mo308oM

Belle's suspension was reduced to seven games on appeal.

ChiSoxFann
06-11-2003, 01:29 PM
If someone else got caught with a corked bat you think they would have got the same.

And anyone who says everyone loves Sham-Me, like the people at Baseball Tonight, has never been to a Cub Sox game at The Cell, or listened to a Sox fan at this site talk about him.

Mo308oM
06-11-2003, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by doogiec
Belle's suspension was reduced to seven games on appeal.

yea and belle wasnt even caught using it and sosa was.... u would figure cause sammy was caught with it during the game it would be more of suspension even tho he appealed.. i just dont agree with this.

kevingrt
06-11-2003, 01:52 PM
It makes no sense at all that something like that could be appealed! He cheated... he corked his bat and tried to get an advantage! It was clear to the naked eye. He cheated make it 8 games and keep it!

RKMeibalane
06-11-2003, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by ChiSoxFann
If someone else got caught with a corked bat you think they would have got the same.

And anyone who says everyone loves Sham-Me, like the people at Baseball Tonight, has never been to a Cub Sox game at The Cell, or listened to a Sox fan at this site talk about him.

I have lost all respect for the Baseball Tonight crew. Between Dibble's weak arguments and Valentine's rants, I can't stomach watching that ridiculous show. I used to enjoy watching it, but the coverage they provide is no longer objective. Players are criticized unfairly, statistics and other information are reported incorrectly, and the show itself isn't terribly organized.

As for the topic at hand, Sosa deserves every bit of the abuse fans are heeping down upon him. He cheated, and he compromised baseball's integrity in the process. If anyone else had been found with a corked bat, their punishment would have been much worse. Sosa should have accepted his suspension and moved on. That's what any honorable person would have done.

Viva Magglio
06-11-2003, 02:04 PM
Take a look at Bob DuPuy's comments from a statement released by MLB. Total lickage in my opinion.

From MLB.com: "DuPuy rules on Sosa appeal" (http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/news/mlb_press_release.jsp?ymd=20030611&content_id=368524&vkey=pr_mlb&fext=.jsp)

RKMeibalane
06-11-2003, 02:20 PM
This is exactly the kind of bull**** that so many of us here at WSI have grown sick and tired of. DuPay thinks that seven games is appropriate because Sosa apologized for his mistake, and because historically, seven to ten games has always been the range for suspension lengths.

What I don't understand is this... how is Sosa's offense less serious than Billy Hatcher's or Albert Belle's? If someone cheats, whether it was accidental or deliberate, he has still cheated. Intent doesn't matter in this case. What Sosa did was wrong, and he should be punished to the fullest extent of MLB regulations. Who cares if he says he didn't mean to do it?

Furthermore, the fact that MLB officials actually believe Sosa's lies is absolutely pathetic. All Major League hitters are familar with their bats. I'm sure some of them could probably tell you how long they've had some of their bats, as well as anything special they did with them (i.e. hitting a grand slam). Sosa claims that he didn't know he was using a corked bat. Bull****. He admitted to using it in batting practice. He knew what it looked like. Therefore, he knew what he was doing when he used it last week.

Bob Dupay, **** YOU!

hose
06-11-2003, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
I have lost all respect for the Baseball Tonight crew. Between Dibble's weak arguments and Valentine's rants, I can't stomach watching that ridiculous show. I used to enjoy watching it, but the coverage they provide is no longer objective. Players are criticized unfairly, statistics and other information are reported incorrectly, and the show itself isn't terribly organized.

Can't you get excited with Pete Gammons over a ten foul ball at bat ?

34 Inch Stick
06-11-2003, 03:02 PM
If baseball is going to take the time to check 70+ bats for cork, why do they not also take time to check the tape of his previous at bats. If he is using the same bat in those games (as Rick Telander alluded to but did not follow up on) he has committed the offense several times and the punishment should be more severe.

jortafan
06-11-2003, 03:10 PM
Considering that I fully expected Bud Selig and his cronies to weasel out and reduce Sammy's penalty to two or three games, I actually am pleased that it is seven. It falls within the range of past offenders.

Nellie_Fox
06-12-2003, 01:43 AM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick
If baseball is going to take the time to check 70+ bats for cork, why do they not also take time to check the tape of his previous at bats. If he is using the same bat in those games (as Rick Telander alluded to but did not follow up on) he has committed the offense several times and the punishment should be more severe. Believe me, MLB wanted to put this to bed as quickly as possible. They have no interest in finding any evidence of further Sammy cheating. They were looking for evidence that would support Sammy's story. That's why they looked at bats siezed hours after the infraction. That's why they looked at bats in the Hall of Fame (like they really thought Sammy would send a corked bat to the Hall.)

Fridaythe13thJason
06-12-2003, 03:19 AM
Originally posted by Nellie_Fox
Believe me, MLB wanted to put this to bed as quickly as possible. They have no interest in finding any evidence of further Sammy cheating. They were looking for evidence that would support Sammy's story. That's why they looked at bats siezed hours after the infraction. That's why they looked at bats in the Hall of Fame (like they really thought Sammy would send a corked bat to the Hall.)

100% agreed. I have never seen something swept away so quickly and so silently. They knew Sammy couldn't be out during the Yankees series because there was so much press coverage. Now, he can quietly go away for 7 games, and maybe no one will notice.

I think more fans would respect MLB if they were to rightly punish their players. Test for steroids...punish and fine appropriately.