PDA

View Full Version : More Sox Draft signings...

Randar68
06-11-2003, 12:17 PM
Clint King, 3rd rounder Chris Kelly, 6th rounder, and Antoin Gray, 25th rounder (teammate of Rickie Weeks) signed and were assigned to Great Falls rookie league. I expect King to get to Winston-Salem quickly, if not by the end of this season.

Jeffrey Schmidt, 20th rounder was signed and assigned to Bristol.

Deals have not yet been disclosed or announced.

Chisoxfn
06-11-2003, 02:36 PM
Don't know if its been mentioned but I'm pretty sure Valido signed. He's on great falls roster. Haven't read anything about him signing, but i'm assuming that means its a done deal.

Randar68
06-11-2003, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by Chisoxfn
Don't know if its been mentioned but I'm pretty sure Valido signed. He's on great falls roster. Haven't read anything about him signing, but i'm assuming that means its a done deal.

see Cubs Sign 5th rounder (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=20658)

and

Sox Sign (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=20656)

For other draft signing news

chosk8
06-12-2003, 12:04 PM
Draft update: The White Sox have agreed to terms with 17 of their 50 selections from the First-Year Player Draft, including six of the Top 10.

Third-rounder Clinton King (OF, Southern Mississippi), fourth-rounder Robert Valido (SS, Coral Park High School, Fla.), sixth-rounder Chris Kelly (LF, Pepperdine), seventh-rounder James Casey (RHP, Azle H.S., Texas), eighth-rounder John Russ (RHP, Frank Phillips Junior College) and ninth-rounder David Cook (CF, Miami of Ohio) all signed on Wednesday.

Duane Shaffer, the team's senior director of player personnel, said negotiations with first-round pick Brian Anderson and his agent, Terry Bross, are progressing. A decision could be closer by Thursday morning.

"I've had a couple of talks with his agent, and he's going to call me back in the morning," Shaffer said. "I will know a lot more in the morning about how far along we are.

"We always like to get our top guys signed and out playing. The quicker we get them playing, the faster they have chances to move and improve. But we can't get them playing until we get them here."

Shaffer said Anderson would be assigned to Great Falls, the White Sox Advanced Rookie League affiliate in Montana.

Randar68
06-12-2003, 01:34 PM
Ricardo Nanita, 14th rounder, a very raw but talented OF'er, is now on the Great Falls roster.

Matt Duechler, 40th round catcher from James Madison U. is also on the roster.

James Casey, 7th round Texas HS RHP and Matthew Lenderman, 21st round HS Catcher are on the Bristol Roster

delben91
06-12-2003, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by Randar68
Ricardo Nanita, 14th rounder, a very raw but talented OF'er, is now on the Great Falls roster.

Matt Duechler, 40th round catcher from James Madison U. is also on the roster.

James Casey, 7th round Texas HS RHP and Matthew Lenderman, 21st round HS Catcher are on the Bristol Roster

Whoa, back the draft truck up...we actually signed not one, but two catchers we drafted?!? They didn't fall victim to the "Richie-plague" of a few years ago when we just could manage to sign our 5th round pick?

I guess being outside the top 20 rounds makes it easier, but still, I though the Sox were trying to have the first farm system that was totally sans-cathers.

Randar68
06-12-2003, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by delben91
Whoa, back the draft truck up...we actually signed not one, but two catchers we drafted?!? They didn't fall victim to the "Richie-plague" of a few years ago when we just could manage to sign our 5th round pick?

I guess being outside the top 20 rounds makes it easier, but still, I though the Sox were trying to have the first farm system that was totally sans-cathers.

Yeah, we always sign some catchers. Usually the light-hitting no-defense kind you find in the bottom half of the draft.

Hangar18
06-12-2003, 02:07 PM
Who picked that 6'6" catcher, hes a Junior for one of the
College World Series teams. I know he played saturday,
caught a couple innings of that game saturday AM. I know he
got a couple of hits.........

MarkEdward
06-12-2003, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Who picked that 6'6" catcher, hes a Junior for one of the
College World Series teams. I know he played saturday,
caught a couple innings of that game saturday AM. I know he
got a couple of hits.........

Tony Richie from FSU? He was drafted by the Cubs.

Or maybe you mean Colt Morgan, out of NC State. I forgot who drafted him.

Hangar18
06-12-2003, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by MarkEdward
Tony Richie from FSU? He was drafted by the Cubs.

Or maybe you mean Colt Morgan, out of NC State. I forgot who drafted him.

Thats the Guy....COLT MORGAN. Anyone know what his deal
is? Vsjapal? Randar?

Vsahajpal
06-12-2003, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Thats the Guy....COLT MORGAN. Anyone know what his deal
is? Vsjapal? Randar?

He's a big kid with enormous power potential, and a big arm. Unforutanately, he's just a bit raw...extremely aggressive hitter with a long swing and isn't exactly a finished product behind the plate.

San Diego drafted him in the 3rd round.

Chisoxfn
06-13-2003, 03:30 AM
Originally posted by delben91

One catcher that I like quite a bit hasn't been signed and I don't see him getting signed and that was our 50th round pick. He's committed to Notre Dame and had a 4.0 I think. He has a really good arm and is a solid hitter. His big weakness is he was always very skinny. He put on 30 pounds his senior year of highschool and is still a bit underweight, but could develop into something.

No point in him signing a deal though (Sox would love to) but he'll get way more money after school, plus he'll have a degree.

Randar68
06-13-2003, 02:27 PM
Paul Moviel has signed, the 36th rounder form Kishwaukee JC. His brother, 15th rounder Greg Moviel, is easily top 5 round talent, but is a tough sign. GET IT DONE!

gosox41
06-13-2003, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by Randar68
Paul Moviel has signed, the 36th rounder form Kishwaukee JC. His brother, 15th rounder Greg Moviel, is easily top 5 round talent, but is a tough sign. GET IT DONE!

Remember, this is JR and KW we're talking about here.

Vsahajpal
06-13-2003, 06:29 PM
Looks like the 1st rounders are about ready to fall in line, the Cubs gave Ryan Harvey $2.4 MM, about $300 K more than Lubanski, the fifth pick.

MarkEdward
06-13-2003, 07:58 PM
Question about Ryan Sweeney. The Iowa Prep season lasts most of the early summer, right? Is Ryan playing in this league, and if so, will he even play pro ball this summer? Or will he start in the Arizona Fall League?

Chisoxfn
06-13-2003, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by MarkEdward
Question about Ryan Sweeney. The Iowa Prep season lasts most of the early summer, right? Is Ryan playing in this league, and if so, will he even play pro ball this summer? Or will he start in the Arizona Fall League?

Sox have said he'll play with the Great Falls Sox. He could play as little as 6 highschool games this season or I think thats what the number was.

Daver
06-14-2003, 11:49 PM
The Sox have also signed 20th round pick Jeff Schmidt,SS out of HS,and Matt Lenderman,a HS catcher and a 21st round pick.

They have signed 7 out of the of their first ten picks,with first pick Anderson merely waiting on numbers to sign,this has to go down as one of the best drafts in the last ten years as far as signings goes,it is quite possible that they could sign all ten of their first ten picks.

Randar68
06-15-2003, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by daver
The Sox have also signed 20th round pick Jeff Schmidt,SS out of HS,and Matt Lenderman,a HS catcher and a 21st round pick.

They have signed 7 out of the of their first ten picks,with first pick Anderson merely waiting on numbers to sign,this has to go down as one of the best drafts in the last ten years as far as signings goes,it is quite possible that they could sign all ten of their first ten picks.

Yep, Matt Nachreiner (5th round HS RHP from Round Rock, Texas) signed. If they sign Anderson, Sweeney, Veal, Hodges and Moviel (tough task), I would rank it as the best draft of the last 15 years on paper. You never know how things will turn out, but if they sign the said players, in the near-term post-draft perspective, this is easily the best draft I can remember. The only disappointing part is not addressing the catching situation aggressively.

spanishwhite
06-15-2003, 10:37 PM
I think Veal will be harder than Moviel.

He has aspirations to by a physician and I read that
it would take 2nd to 3rd round money to change his mind.

Greg Moviel has his brother who already signed and that should
make for a good selling point for Greg.

The Sox brass talk about how Sweeney and Anderson
are going to Great Falls so apparently they feel they will
be signed soon and that will round out the top ten.

I think if they sign Veal or Moviel and Hodges it will be the
best draft I have seen in terms of all around talent vs. top
end talent.

Randar68
06-15-2003, 11:36 PM
Just read that Veal has already been offerred $500,000 and refused. His mother said the Sox right before the draft to find out if he'd take $500,000 if they drafted him in the second or 3rd round, and they said no. He and his mother have both been quoted locally in Arizona that he is going to attend Arizona and they are very comfortable in that deciscion. They think the Sox will make a last push to sign him, but unless they get better than 500K, they aren't going to sign. With the MLB edict on approvals from the Commissioner's Office for out-of-slot signing bonus', I think there is less than 1% chance of signing Veal.

Too bad, hope they use the money on Moviel and Hodges, all three are great talents.

Randar68
06-15-2003, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by spanishwhite
The Sox brass talk about how Sweeney and Anderson
are going to Great Falls so apparently they feel they will
be signed soon and that will round out the top ten.

I haven't heard them say much about Sweeney, but I'd be pretty surprised to see them put Sweeney, who hasn't played a handfull of HS games his senior season, in Great Falls.