PDA

View Full Version : Attn Media Members: Someone give the Sox/SF series some coverage please?

Hangar18
06-11-2003, 10:58 AM
After all, the last time these teams faced, was 1917, which was
86 years ago. How come the Score isnt digging up old folks who were around back then? How come the Fox32 isnt sending bimbo reporters to stand outside to interview SF fans about
the differences in our Seafood? how come Alison Rosati isnt
talking about SF nitelife VS. Chicago nitelife ? how come THIS
isnt an HISTORICAL MATCHUP ?? if grobbe or progers reads
this, would be nice.....

1951Campbell
06-11-2003, 11:29 AM
Come on now, there was extensive coverage of Barry's 479-foot zinger on Baseball Tonight. :smile:

WinningUgly!
06-11-2003, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by 1951Campbell
Come on now, there was extensive coverage of Barry's 479-foot zinger on Baseball Tonight. :smile:

That & the double play in the 9th, then onto the next game. What a crock. :angry:

siugrad25
06-11-2003, 12:05 PM
Last night on SportsCenter, the tease to the game before a commercial break was something like "Bonds, Giants crush Sox, or Sox crushed." I was so furious... Not only do they not recognize this as a interesting and historical series, but we're put on last of every broadcast and radio update. I give up!!!

RKMeibalane
06-11-2003, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by siugrad25
Last night on SportsCenter, the tease to the game before a commercial break was something like "Bonds, Giants crush Sox, or Sox crushed." I was so furious... Not only do they not recognize this as a interesting and historical series, but we're put on last of every broadcast and radio update. I give up!!!

I hardly watch ESPN anymore. All they do is make fun of the Sox. What exactly did the Sox do to deserve this treatment? No, they haven't had a good season, but neither have several other teams. Look at the Padres. They have one of the worst records in baseball, and I have yet to see them made fun of as much as the Sox have been.

This crap is getting old. The media does everything they can to make the Sox look bad, and then they wonder why this team's fan base has shrunk so much in the last ten years. Maybe if the media actually reported what they saw and not what they thought, people would begin to see that the Sox aren't as bad as they were led to believe.

kevingrt
06-11-2003, 12:46 PM
All I can say is I agree!

Blueprint1
06-11-2003, 01:08 PM
Its funny but the Red Sox have been just as bad as the Sox the last few years.

MRKARNO
06-11-2003, 01:23 PM
BBTN last night did the bare minimum on the game, a 20 second overview which included Bond's blast and Miggie's blast. I think they also may have shown the game ending DP. They also showed Bonds' homer 3=5 times. Gammons did commend the Sox organization for not firing Jerry which allowed this winning streak according to him. He also inferred that he himself was an idiot for asking Manuel to be fired. That was precious

Worse is the Sun-TImes coverage of late. Sosa on the cover for beating the O's and we're not until 7th page for beating the 2nd best NL team. The Sun Times has been WORSE than the trib lately. You just know that even in the sox win tonight and the cubs lose that sosa will be on the sports cover because of his reduced suspension.

Thunderstruck30
06-11-2003, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
Gammons did commend the Sox organization for not firing Jerry which allowed this winning streak according to him. He also inferred that he himself was an idiot for asking Manuel to be fired. That was precious.

Yeah I saw that too. That was great. I cant believe Gammons admitted that he was an idiot.

Viva Magglio
06-11-2003, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
How come the Score isnt digging up old folks who were around back then?

Gee, maybe they didn't because all of the people who were around then are probably DEAD!!!!!

jeremyb1
06-11-2003, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
Gammons did commend the Sox organization for not firing Jerry which allowed this winning streak according to him. He also inferred that he himself was an idiot for asking Manuel to be fired. That was precious

that's incredible. i'm sorry i missed it.

NewyorkSoxFan
06-11-2003, 04:42 PM
I agree that the coverage is bad, but I feel like as Sox fans we need to get over it. I know the papers, ESPN, and radio spend most of the time talking about the Cubs, but hey its not like we have the best record in baseball and they are ignoring us.

I think we should expend our energy hammering the management of this team until they consistently put a winner on the field. We get no respect because management doesn't respect the team or the fans. We sign players who have one year left on their deals and trade them for prospects in July when we are out of the race. Then we start all over again.

The Yankees, Mariners, A's, Braves have a commitment to winning and their records have spoken for themselves, and until we win we will always play second fiddle in Chicago. Who wants to put a team on TV that has 8 to 10,000 fans at there games? Who cares about a team that was 7.5 games out of first in 3rd place? Who cares when they win 3 in a row and are still under .500?
No one, just us!! So forget about the media and focus on Management, and our players producing.

WIN AND ESPN WILL COME!!

NYSF

GASHWOUND
06-11-2003, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by NewyorkSoxFan

WIN AND ESPN WILL COME!!

NYSF

Suuuuuuure they will...... :smile:

fquaye149
06-11-2003, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by NewyorkSoxFan
I agree that the coverage is bad, but I feel like as Sox fans we need to get over it. I know the papers, ESPN, and radio spend most of the time talking about the Cubs, but hey its not like we have the best record in baseball and they are ignoring us.

I think we should expend our energy hammering the management of this team until they consistently put a winner on the field. We get no respect because management doesn't respect the team or the fans. We sign players who have one year left on their deals and trade them for prospects in July when we are out of the race. Then we start all over again.

The Yankees, Mariners, A's, Braves have a commitment to winning and their records have spoken for themselves, and until we win we will always play second fiddle in Chicago. Who wants to put a team on TV that has 8 to 10,000 fans at there games? Who cares about a team that was 7.5 games out of first in 3rd place? Who cares when they win 3 in a row and are still under .500?
No one, just us!! So forget about the media and focus on Management, and our players producing.

WIN AND ESPN WILL COME!!

NYSF

yeah the braves and mariners sure get a lot of airtime on espn despite being the best teams in their respective leagues. this is a poor point. the channel only plays to major markets which is fine from a business standpoint but stupid from a journalistic standpoint. of course we know what espn is: a business. how could anything owned by disney be anything else?

NewyorkSoxFan
06-11-2003, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by fquaye149
yeah the braves and mariners sure get a lot of airtime on espn despite being the best teams in their respective leagues. this is a poor point. the channel only plays to major markets which is fine from a business standpoint but stupid from a journalistic standpoint. of course we know what espn is: a business. how could anything owned by disney be anything else?

Last time I checked they are on Sunday's and Wednesdays far more than some "Major Market" teams. So it is not a poor point. The point of my post is that in the Sox current condition there is not much to talk about. The team has struggled all season, and there is little reason to leadoff baseball tonite with them or spend ten minutes analyzing the game.

Major league baseball would love to have a Chicago team win, b/c it only helps there business as you put it. But the combined mismanagement, and futility of the Cubs and Sox organizations for say the last 90 YEARS, no one outside Chicago cares about our team. Once again some fans point the fingers in the wrong direction. DISNEY????

NYSF

fquaye149
06-11-2003, 10:23 PM
well i would direct you to observe three different things:

a.) in 2000 when we had our division win where was the coverage?

b.) before the season when we looked to be a decent team where was the coverage? instead the focus was on the major market chicago team.

c.)current highlights and discussions on the highlights shows(sportscenter/ baseball tonight) related to the braves and teh mariners as compared to major market teams like the cubs, red sox, and yankees.

i mean yeah in this current state we certainly don't deserve to be on sportscenter and baseball tonight in any positive depth...but

let's be realistic. if espn had its way which chicago team would be successful?

yes disney. not journalistic integrity, ENTERTAINMENT.

Lip Man 1
06-11-2003, 10:26 PM
With respect I'd like to say a few things that have been on my mind for a while.

I mean no insult what so ever to anybody in particular and I'm not singling anybody out but I for one agree 100% with NYSF.

I can't believe how many threads, lines and comments are posted ripping the "no good lazy media" for not being Sox fans or supporters on either a local or national level.

Do I think in some cases the Sox get screwed, shafted and made second class citizens...absolutely. Do I think the Tribune Company has a conflict of interest...absolutely (much as probably 450 of the top Fortune 500 companies in America do)

Do I think it's a "deliberate conspiracy" made to ruin the days of Sox fans everywhere...absolutely NOT.

NYSF is completely correct. If the Sox were a yearly contender, if they didn't have a history of pulling one bone headed PR disaster after another over the past twenty years and if they had a payroll representing the 3rd largest city in the U.S. they'd get better coverage.

Think back to how the Braves were a laughingstock of the late 80's (much as the Sox from 1986 through 1989). Now think about how the Sox would be considered if they had been able to accomplish 50% of what Atlanta has done since 1991. It's all about winning...period. (and no I can't explain the fasination with the "lovable losers" but the Cubs are the only franchise who can make that claim.) If you want better PR, WIN MORE GAMES...A LOT MORE.

One other thought. On another thread ripping Peter Gammons I suggested e-mailing him to let him know his mistakes. One person wrote back (and I'm paraphrasing him) that it wouldn't do any good and it probably wouldn't be worth the time.

My answer to that is that if you are not part of the solution, you are part of the problem. You have a beef with Gammons, Mariotti, Rosenbloom etc. WRITE THEM. CALL THEM. let them know personally how you feel.

I loath Jerry Reinsdorf and others at WSI have been criticle of some of my comments, but Uncle Jerry knows exactly how I feel because I have written him and told him so numerous times. I have also commented on radio talk shows as much as possible how I feel and how he's destroying the franchise.

Has it done any good? No. Am I at least true to my priniciples? YES.

Let's put it this way. A number of fans at WSI have done the same thing in various degrees. What might happen if every person who threw a fit, or pitched a bitch at the media let them know about it?

That would be a LOT of letters, e-mails and calls wouldn't it? We used to have a saying in TV...for every good or bad comment you get multiply by four because three quarters of the viewers feel the same way only won't let you know about it.

I'm simply suggesting that if fans spent a little bit of time communication to the powers that be how they feel, something MAY take place. Simply saying things to us fans at WSI while certainly welcome, I guarantee you won't change a DAMN thing!

Thanks!

Lip

Hangar18
06-11-2003, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1

One other thought. On another thread ripping Peter Gammons I suggested e-mailing him to let him know his mistakes. One person wrote back (and I'm paraphrasing him) that it wouldn't do any good and it probably wouldn't be worth the time.

My answer to that is that if you are not part of the solution, you are part of the problem. You have a beef with Gammons, Mariotti, Rosenbloom etc. WRITE THEM. CALL THEM. let them know personally how you feel.

I'm simply suggesting that if fans spent a little bit of time communication to the powers that be how they feel, something MAY take place. Simply saying things to us fans at WSI while certainly welcome, I guarantee you won't change a DAMN thing!

Thanks!

Lip

Hey, My #1 Public Enemy is that JackAss on the Score, and his
personal use of the airwaves to talk Cub. I timed him today,
and he made sure that he got in all 39 minutes (ok, commercials were counted also) of talking cub, complaining cub, worshipping cub. This guy is absolutely ridiculous, and that BOZO who shines his shoes on a daily basis Frank Hopner, is a puppet co-host and a Sham himself. The score only calls him a "sox" fan so that the entire Morning Show isnt a Crock. I love how Murph Patronizes his callers by "Complimenting" them on a subject he brought up himself earlier and saying "You bring up a Very Good Point" merely to excuse himself to talk Cub for another 15-20 minutes. I email him almost Daily......

MHOUSE
06-12-2003, 02:18 AM
Baseball tonight made a point of showing Crede's overthrow in the first inning. Now I recall the runner not advancing and it being a wash, but why is it necessary to show it and say ooh Sox are so bad ahaha. I mean there were plenty of bad highlights to show without that one that was meaningless.

NewyorkSoxFan
06-12-2003, 07:26 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
With respect I'd like to say a few things that have been on my mind for a while.

I mean no insult what so ever to anybody in particular and I'm not singling anybody out but I for one agree 100% with NYSF.

I can't believe how many threads, lines and comments are posted ripping the "no good lazy media" for not being Sox fans or supporters on either a local or national level.

Do I think in some cases the Sox get screwed, shafted and made second class citizens...absolutely. Do I think the Tribune Company has a conflict of interest...absolutely (much as probably 450 of the top Fortune 500 companies in America do)

Do I think it's a "deliberate conspiracy" made to ruin the days of Sox fans everywhere...absolutely NOT.

NYSF is completely correct. If the Sox were a yearly contender, if they didn't have a history of pulling one bone headed PR disaster after another over the past twenty years and if they had a payroll representing the 3rd largest city in the U.S. they'd get better coverage.

Think back to how the Braves were a laughingstock of the late 80's (much as the Sox from 1986 through 1989). Now think about how the Sox would be considered if they had been able to accomplish 50% of what Atlanta has done since 1991. It's all about winning...period. (and no I can't explain the fasination with the "lovable losers" but the Cubs are the only franchise who can make that claim.) If you want better PR, WIN MORE GAMES...A LOT MORE.

Thanks!

Lip

There is sanity!!

Just because Disney owns ESPN, has nothing to do with there journalistic integrity. And why would they have a personal issue with the sox? They highlight the teams who are playing in big games or are winning baseball teams. The only thing to show about the Sox is that they are consistently bad.

But as I said before blame the ownership, not ESPN. They aren't signing anybody's checks on 35th and Sheilds. You talk about not getting coverage, not showing highlights, well we can't get 20,000 people to show up every night, so why would the rest of the country care about our team either.

You want equal time-Sign Bartolo to a long term deal in the offseason, SERIOUSLY go after a top tier free agent in the winter, Hire a top of the line manager, and GM not guys who come cheap b/c they just want the opportunity. I guarantee you if you had Miquel Tejada as SS, Bartolo here for more than a half of a season, make a trade to bring in a CF'er, I would guarantee you we would get coverage. But we won't we will continue to use marginal talent and rent players hoping to strike lightning in a bottle. Well you know what nobody cares or wants to watch that. And to be honest as a sox fan for over 25 years, I am getting tired of this show as well.

NYSF