PDA

View Full Version : Lots of favorable pitching matchups coming up

MRKARNO
06-11-2003, 12:04 AM
We dont face Schmidt of the Giants (Foppert is OK, Rueter isn't as good as advertised). The padre's pitching staff is god-awful top to bottom. I'm not scared of Burkett, Fossum, Lowe and wakefield (all have high ERA's) or the bullpen, but the boston rotation may change so that we'll face Pedro. Also, unless Dusty pushes Wood and Prior back, we wont face them at the Urinal. This can allow the sox to get back to .500 in time to face the twins.

T Dog
06-11-2003, 12:11 AM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
...The padre's pitching staff is god-awful top to bottom...

I haven't paid much attention to the Padres since the mid-1990s, so I won't argue your point. But Padres pitching looked awesome in taking two out of three in Wrigley this spring.

spanishwhite
06-11-2003, 02:12 AM
They basically got a young "promising" staff and
Lawrence.

A bunch of Garlands and a Buehrle.

I think that the padres bullpen and offense have been
more of the problem.

Hmmm...sounds familiar. :smile:

spanishwhite
06-11-2003, 02:15 AM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
I'm not scared of Burkett, Fossum, Lowe and wakefield (all have high ERA's) or the bullpen, but the boston rotation may change so that we'll face Pedro.

You shouldnt be. Actually, we should be salivating at the prospect of facing their bullpen.

Its the offense that we should fear.

Not as good as Toronto's but a close second.

So, being that we shut them down half the time, that is what
we should expect this series.

Like always, the offense is what will determine the series.

MRKARNO
06-11-2003, 10:05 AM
Here's how I think of it:

The sox starters have a great chance to notch 1 or 2 more quality starts this series and the way our bats have been going, we're likely to win the quality starts. If the sox are as good as they've been looking lately, we should absolutely demolish the Padres, who some say are worse than the Tigers. Lawrence isn't even that great, at least the Tigers have relatively good starting (Cornejo). Padres offense is OK, but we should be able to shut them down. Boston if we can shut them down (which will be very difficult), they wont fair too well against us.

Our starting pitching 1-5 on the rotation is outstanding. Honestly, that is not an understatement. We have the most AL quality starts. The ERAs are inflated because Garland, Buehrle and Wright have all had some really bad games, but also a good deal of quality starts.
If the offense suddenly becomes average, we're gonna win a lot of games. If they are average and perform to expectations down the stretch, I think we have a shot at really doing some damage in the playoffs.

The two areas that I am concerned are:

1. Bullpen

Marte is great.
Koch scares us often, but he usually gets the job done.
Gordon can be extremely dominant, but also has been known to blow the lead.
White should be placed on waivers.
Sanders should be demoted because he doesn't get enough playing time and he's not good enough yet.
Glover will come around
Wunsch usually gets the job done

The problem is that some of our relievers have been wildly inconsistant. If We see some consistancy from Flash and Glover, that would be very good. Koch will be inconsistant, but that's what we were getting when we signed him. Glover's been down a bit lately, but he should get better. He's our long reliever, but our starters have been going 6+ innings for a lot of games in a row now.

2. Defense

It's flat out horrible and there's not much we can do about it.

Valentin and Graffanino have both lost us more games than we should have
Crede's been good enough
DJ's had some problems
Konerko's been good
Thomas has been good. I dont see why we need a defensive replacement for him
Olivo is probably one of the best AL defensive catchers.
Magglio gave up that in-the-park homer
All five People who have played Centerfield have had some problems (Maggs, Roward, Harris, Borchard, Rios)
Lee's made some key drops, but also some key grabs

Valentin, Graf and the CFers make what would be an OK defense into a horrible defense based on the number of extra outs and opportunities we've given the other teams.

They say it takes pitching and defense to win a World Series, and we've got one of'em. The further our starters go, the less our bullpen is used, the less concerned we all are

MHOUSE
06-11-2003, 10:37 AM
I listened to a few Padres games on the radio when they were hosting the Brew Crew and they're pitching is terrible. If one of their starters doesn't give up 5 runs, then the bullpen will. They blew 2-3 run leads in all 3 games of the series. If our offense clicks AT ALL, then we should smoke the Padres.

Fridaythe13thJason
06-11-2003, 10:47 AM
Reading all of the posts, I think this all comes down to one thing. If we continue to play like we have been in the last 5 games, then we really have a chance to win quite a few games here.

I always think about how people note that over a certain time period, we have to play 8.5 games better than the Twins, which can look daunting. Mathmatically, there is no difference, but the easiest way to erase that is to go on a little streak and get closer, like 3.5 games, and work from there. Lot easier task.