PDA

View Full Version : Garland

spanishwhite
06-10-2003, 11:38 PM
I came home looking for a thread on him.

That makes 4 out of his last 5 starts being quality ones and
he has a 3.48 ERA.

I thought he deserved some props for what he did tonight.

Buehrle v. Foppert and Colon v. Rueter, lets not even think about sweep. Good odds to take one of two and win the series.

The AL Central has 16 wins

The NL West has 19 wins.

I think that the Central is making a statement here :smile:

I think its impressive considering that the last 2 NL Champions have come from this division.

kevingrt
06-10-2003, 11:54 PM
I was at the game tonite, and saw a brilliant outing by Jon Garland. It all started with the striking out of the side in the 1st inning, it set the tone for the rest. Perhaps the Bonds shot was just a miss pitch, but it was Jon's only bad pitch of the nite (I was a row in front and two seats to far right from getting the ball, and the teenager that got it got offered $500 twice for it, neither time did he give in).

But Garland pitched a gem, just hopefully he can stay consistent!

T Dog
06-11-2003, 12:18 AM
Originally posted by kevingrt
...(I was a row in front and two seats to far right from getting the ball, and the teenager that got it got offered $500 twice for it, neither time did he give in)....

In open-air asylums they make you throw those back.

Bisco Stu
06-11-2003, 01:32 AM
Funny, Garland shut down the Giants when the Sox played an exhibition game here in 2002. Giants announcers were raving about him all night.

FarWestChicago
06-11-2003, 01:38 AM
Originally posted by Bisco Stu
Funny, Garland shut down the Giants when the Sox played an exhibition game here in 2002. Giants announcers were raving about him all night. They certainly were. :smile:

hold2dibber
06-11-2003, 07:34 AM
When Garland throws strikes, he is awfully tough. Just one walk and seven Ks last night. I think the thing that frustrates Sox fans about Jon is that he can be so damn good at times that it makes it all the more frustrating when he doesn't pitch well. But I agree that he deserves a lot of credit for turning things around and I hope he can keep it up.

Hangar18
06-11-2003, 08:49 AM
Jonny Boy deserves Credit for last nite. I met his Uncle, Jeff V.
at the Sat Nite game in LA. He said Jon really has something
to prove to Sox Fans in Chicago. I told him we had a Feeling
he'd do good Tuesday nite, man was I right....

Randar68
06-11-2003, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by T Dog
In open-air asylums they make you throw those back.

Funny you should say that, because he faked throwing it back maybe 5 times. There were a ton of Giants and Cubs fans at the game last night. They were all telling him to throw it back. I basically was yelling at him to throw it to me.

MRKARNO
06-11-2003, 10:16 AM
What does everyone think about the wave at the ballpark? I think it's out of place at a baseball game personally. Although it is a product of happy fans, which is good, I think it would be better if the fans just started cheering more.

Last night's crowd of 23,827 was in general a good one. If Thomas got a hit with bases loaded 2 outs instead of a popup, the cell would have gone beserk. The cell gets pretty loud per person and if the sox would ever win a playoff game or series there, it would be amazing. 2000 was pretty cool, but that's all I really remember. Too bad we got swept in 2000. 1 win would have been nice :(:

MHOUSE
06-11-2003, 10:31 AM
Garland has only had 3-4 really bad outings this season. He strung together maybe 3 in a row that really got a lot of people down on him, but since he pitched well against Minnesota (despite a loss), he has strung together some good outings. He's so good that it makes it harder to deal with his bad outings because when he does well, then it's simply what we expect, not more.

Juan Pizarro
06-11-2003, 10:31 AM
When Jonny's sinker is running, he's top-notch. Bust those bats!
Have to be happy with him of late, and you can say that about all of the starters.

voodoochile
06-11-2003, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
When Garland throws strikes, he is awfully tough. Just one walk and seven Ks last night. I think the thing that frustrates Sox fans about Jon is that he can be so damn good at times that it makes it all the more frustrating when he doesn't pitch well. But I agree that he deserves a lot of credit for turning things around and I hope he can keep it up.

He also kept the ball down, only throwing the curve ball and sinker for strikes when he was trying to trick the hitter - and for the most part getting away with it when he did.

For all of our complaining about the pitching staff and the inconsistency of young starters, I feel as confident with this staff as any I can remember. Yeah, Wright and Garland can give up a bunch in a hurry, but they both have the potential to pitch like last night on any given evening. 5 starters who can all actually pitch. How cool is that?

whitesoxwilkes
06-11-2003, 11:14 AM
I was very pleased with Jon's ability to unjam himself a couple times last night. That to me is the ultimate sign of a pitcher's maturity.

MetalliSox
06-11-2003, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber

And like 4 or 5 broken bats.

harwar
06-11-2003, 12:30 PM
Last time i checked the Sox were leading in quality starts.We've got all these good hitters in a slump together with a few showing signs of life.If we get 4 or 5 hitting again,well,then were going to start winning games,lots of them.

One game at a time,just win.

The wavers were people just coming out to see Bonds.It gets on my nerves but i really like it when we have 20k plus out there.

i_luv_jgarland
06-11-2003, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by kevingrt
I was at the game tonite, and saw a brilliant outing by Jon Garland. It all started with the striking out of the side in the 1st inning, it set the tone for the rest. Perhaps the Bonds shot was just a miss pitch, but it was Jon's only bad pitch of the nite (I was a row in front and two seats to far right from getting the ball, and the teenager that got it got offered $500 twice for it, neither time did he give in).

But Garland pitched a gem, just hopefully he can stay consistent!

Funny... this is the only post about how well JG has been pitching lately. When he pitches for @#% then there are a billion people on here yelling about how he needs to be traded. So nice to see a few of you on here givin the kid some credit.

Oh... and by the way... I wouldn't have thought twice about selling that ball for $500. Heck, I'd have taken less. :D:

voodoochile
06-11-2003, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by i_luv_jgarland
Funny... this is the only post about how well JG has been pitching lately. When he pitches for @#% then there are a billion people on here yelling about how he needs to be traded. So nice to see a few of you on here givin the kid some credit.

Oh... and by the way... I wouldn't have thought twice about selling that ball for $500. Heck, I'd have taken less. :D:

How much do you suppose any HR ball hit by Ruth, Mays or Aaron is worth today? I'd bet it is a far cry more than $500 especailly if it was one of the later ones. Bonds will easily finish his career as the number 3 HR hitter of all time and probably #1. The kid made the right decision. That ball might pay for his kids college education in a couple of decades.

kevingrt
06-11-2003, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by Randar68
Funny you should say that, because he faked throwing it back maybe 5 times. There were a ton of Giants and Cubs fans at the game last night. They were all telling him to throw it back. I basically was yelling at him to throw it to me.

Problem was that wasn't the guy who caught the ball. The guy that was faking was two rows up and had an extra baseball on him. It was pretty funny, actually.

But the thing is there is no way you can tell that is the ball Bonds hit. He could show that to friends and they would never believe him, because you couldn't see him on the highlight. There was nothing on the ball either, just said official major league baseball. It wasn't like a memorable homerun like No. 600 or something.

GASHWOUND
06-11-2003, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by i_luv_jgarland
Funny... this is the only post about how well JG has been pitching lately. When he pitches for @#% then there are a billion people on here yelling about how he needs to be traded. So nice to see a few of you on here givin the kid some credit

Bingo...That last bad start he had people were calling for his head, trade him for a bag of balls..blah, blah, blah.. Yeah, this guy is inconsistent, but he's a quality 3rd line starter..
The guy is only 23 years old and I believe in this guy. He has a chance to be great.