PDA

View Full Version : *Official* Game Day Thread 6-10-03 White Sox vs Giants

Jjav829
06-10-2003, 08:00 PM
Use this thread and only this thread if you must post a comment about tonight's game. All other threads will be deleted! Otherwise, please join us in the WSI chat room (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/chat.php?s=) for a discussion of tonight's game.

Jon Garland vs Barry Bone. Should result in quite a few walks/HR's. Jerome Williams goes for the Giants.

cheeses_h_rice
06-10-2003, 09:04 PM
Gee, do you think Barry got a piece of that one?

My lord...

balboner
06-10-2003, 09:05 PM
You should NEVER let Bonds beat you in a close game. Garland should have just walked him, no one else is hitting him hard at all. Not like it matters, we'll get no hit by a rookie pitcher w/an era over 6? Why again is Rios playing?

ChiSoxBobette
06-10-2003, 09:08 PM
Just turned on the Sox game tonight and what am I greeted to Garland serving up a fat one to Bonds. Is Garland that stupid or what. The next two guys popout and strikeout. I just don't know if we can keep running this guy out there , never knowing what he's going to do. Lets go Garland WAKE UP!
:angry:
Go White Sox!

cheeses_h_rice
06-10-2003, 09:12 PM
And the Sox' horrid baserunning gets a break from a dumb balk.

Phew.

Daver
06-10-2003, 09:23 PM
May I add at this point that an outfield of Lee,Rios,and Daubach may be the worst defensive outfield ever fielded by an MLB team?

fquaye149
06-10-2003, 09:25 PM
at least alfonzo is playing the role of paul konerko and failing to move snow over with no outs

voodoochile
06-10-2003, 09:29 PM
Nice job by JG to get out of the inning after the leadoff double. Well done, kid.

Why isn't Maggs playing? Is he injured, or is this more of Jerry's tinkering?

Daver
06-10-2003, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
Nice job by JG to get out of the inning after the leadoff double. Well done, kid.

Why isn't Maggs playing? Is he injured, or is this more of Jerry's tinkering?

He is under the weather according to Hawk.

ilsox7
06-10-2003, 09:44 PM
Upper respiratory infection. Hopefully it clears up soon...

Interesting, Bonds hits fast balls down the middle 500 feet, Frank barely clears the infield...and on we go.

Konerkoholic
06-10-2003, 10:07 PM
Garland is just cruising.. The curveball is generating some feeble swings. If the guy kept his head in the game (not serving up a tee shot to Bonds) he'd be a very good pitcher.

fquaye149
06-10-2003, 10:16 PM
you know even if we win, the only highlight shown on baseball tonight or whatever will be bonds' shot.

on the other hand it's nice to see us executing (crede's sac) in a close game

Konerkoholic
06-10-2003, 10:22 PM
YES! Back - to - back shots! I'm excited again about White Sox baseball. :D:

sox_fan_forever
06-10-2003, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by Konerkoholic
I'm excited again about White Sox baseball. :D:

Me too! Where have these guys been all year? Let's hope they keep it up! (Ok, we know they won't but I'm feeling optimistic all of a sudden....) :smile:

Konerkoholic
06-10-2003, 10:34 PM
Excitement turns to anxiety as Tom Gordon inexplicably comes into this still close game...

EDIT: I stand corrected. His stuff can look flat-out dominant sometimes...

Daver
06-10-2003, 10:56 PM
Nice to see the defensive replacement in CF get the job done.

Aaron Rowand sucks.

balboner
06-10-2003, 10:56 PM
Why in the hell did Manuel take out Marte? He has an era around 1, and is our best pitcher!

cheeses_h_rice
06-10-2003, 10:59 PM
Well, Billy Koch and Aaron Rowand tried their damnedest to blow this one, but, hey, the Sox beat the Gnats in their first meeting. Way to go, guys!

Jjav829
06-10-2003, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by daver
May I add at this point that an outfield of Lee,Rios,and Daubach may be the worst defensive outfield ever fielded by an MLB team?

Who cares? Don't you remember...defense means nothing.

hose
06-10-2003, 11:44 PM
Nice to see the defensive replacement in CF get the job done.

Aaron Rowand sucks.

I had my leg up on the ottoman the whole game , keeping it elevated just like the Doc says. :gulp:

That misplay by Rowand in the ninth got me hopping around on my one good foot. :angry:

MRKARNO
06-10-2003, 11:49 PM
We should have brought in Sanders as the defensive replacement instead of Rowand...

SoxxoS
06-11-2003, 12:05 AM
Brian Simmons was an awesome defensive center fielder. Where is he nowadays?

A center fielder with some speed that can hit a little would really, really help this team. Especially defensively. I actually wish we had Chris Singleton back. Absoutely no joke.

Daver
06-11-2003, 12:22 AM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
Brian Simmons was an awesome defensive center fielder. Where is he nowadays?

A center fielder with some speed that can hit a little would really, really help this team. Especially defensively.

They just sent him down,his name is Joe Borchard.

MisterB
06-11-2003, 12:58 AM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
A center fielder with some speed that can hit a little would really, really help this team. Especially defensively.

Maybe we should qualify that statement. A center fielder with some speed that can hit a little right now would really, really help this team.

Borchard's brief stint has showed us just how far he is from being ready for the Majors. All I can say is KW better get us a CF who can at least field the position in the mean time. Bazooka Joe still has a lot of learnin' to do.

T Dog
06-11-2003, 01:24 AM

Are you including the 1945 St. Louis Browns? Fortunately Garland kept the fly balls to a minimum.

jeremyb1
06-11-2003, 03:51 AM

come on. borchard misplayed his fair share of balls when he was up here. one of his first games up against detroit he played a flyball into a double by taking a bad route. then there was the play when garland was pitching when he fell. rowand looked poor on that play tonight but one misplayed ball does not a poor defensive player make. rowand may not be our best option in cf but he's our best defensive option compared to harris and borchard.

MHOUSE
06-11-2003, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
come on. borchard misplayed his fair share of balls when he was up here. one of his first games up against detroit he played a flyball into a double by taking a bad route. then there was the play when garland was pitching when he fell. rowand looked poor on that play tonight but one misplayed ball does not a poor defensive player make. rowand may not be our best option in cf but he's our best defensive option compared to harris and borchard.

Exactly. He's our best option right now. If Harris, Borchard, and Rowand all can't hit then I would rather field the player with the most experience at the position who is best defensively. Harris is a 2nd baseman and a terrible CF, Borchard is a corner outfielder who did ok, but still wasn't as good defensively as Rowand. Just because he misplayed one ball doesn't make him a bad fielder.

MHOUSE
06-11-2003, 11:47 AM
Also, shouldn't Koch have gotten a save last night? He entered with a 3-run lead and finished the game. I thought that qualified for a save?

MRKARNO
06-11-2003, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by MHOUSE
Also, shouldn't Koch have gotten a save last night? He entered with a 3-run lead and finished the game. I thought that qualified for a save?

I was about to say that he did, but then I checked and he didnt. Maybe it was a mistake by the official scorekeeper, but he entered the game with a 3 run lead and recorded the final out of the game, which means that there should have been a save. Does anybody have the save rule handy to check this?

Iwritecode
06-11-2003, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
I was about to say that he did, but then I checked and he didnt. Maybe it was a mistake by the official scorekeeper, but he entered the game with a 3 run lead and recorded the final out of the game, which means that there should have been a save. Does anybody have the save rule handy to check this?

Save rule
(1,2) last non winning pitcher in a win
and
(3) game situations: any 1
a: enters with no more than 3+ run lead
b: enter with potential tying run ob, ab, or od (one of the 1st 2 batsmen he faces)
c: pitches effectively for at 3 ip
(4) only 1 save awarded per game

Looks like he should have gotten it because he was the last non-winning pitcher and had no more than a 3 run lead...