PDA

View Full Version : He's getting away with it


PaleHoseGeorge
06-10-2003, 07:30 PM
Maybe this is too obvious to state for the record, but here it goes anyway: Sammy Sosa is getting away with cheating.

Don't expect anything more of significance to occur after his suspension is served.

Baker and his teammates are covering for him.
The Cubune is covering for him.
Major League Baseball is covering for him.
The sports media is covering for him.
The ass-kissers are still kissing--and getting favorable p.r. for their efforts.

If this was Republicans vs. Democrats, the cries for investigations would have reached a fever pitch days ago. Nothing of the sort will happen on this one. There is absolutely no integrity to the process whatsoever.

It makes you wonder why you should spend any time at all following sports, doesn't it?

mack10zie
06-10-2003, 07:56 PM
Yet we're still all being rascist towards Sammy. Intersting....

hose
06-10-2003, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
Maybe this is too obvious to state for the record, but here it goes anyway: Sammy Sosa is getting away with cheating.

Don't expect anything more of significance to occur after his suspension is served.

Baker and his teammates are covering for him.
The Cubune is covering for him.
Major League Baseball is covering for him.
The sports media is covering for him.
The ass-kissers are still kissing--and getting favorable p.r. for their efforts.

If this was Republicans vs. Democrats, the cries for investigations would have reached a fever pitch days ago. Nothing of the sort will happen on this one. There is absolutely no integrity to the process whatsoever.

It makes you wonder why you should spend any time at all following sports, doesn't it?


He got caught red handed and will serve a suspension.

In the words of Bob Dole......."you know it, I know it, they know it."

dickallen15
06-10-2003, 08:07 PM
I think every homerun he hit the last five years he was using a corked bat. He hopped again tonight and almost got thrown out at second on a drive off the wall. Thats 3 or 4 hops and 0 homeruns since his cheating became public. I am sure MLB told him how to explain what happened to him, gave the team time to get rid of the rest of the corked bats, and will let him off easy on the suspension. I hate this phony. Wifebeater, steroid user, bat corker.....whats next with this dope. If 1 more player says what good person is off the field I am going to puke. If DuPay had any stones he would keep his suspension the same, and tell the idiot to quit trying to insult the publics intelligence with his stale act. Thank you, I am done.

fquaye149
06-10-2003, 08:45 PM
actually i think it has more to do with steroid testing at the beginning of the year. many reports said sammy showed up looking thinner and less bulked up. without steroids his (p)wussy ass fly balls are not clearing the little league fences anymore

cheeses_h_rice
06-10-2003, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
Maybe this is too obvious to state for the record, but here it goes anyway: Sammy Sosa is getting away with cheating.

Don't expect anything more of significance to occur after his suspension is served.

Baker and his teammates are covering for him.
The Cubune is covering for him.
Major League Baseball is covering for him.
The sports media is covering for him.
The ass-kissers are still kissing--and getting favorable p.r. for their efforts.

If this was Republicans vs. Democrats, the cries for investigations would have reached a fever pitch days ago. Nothing of the sort will happen on this one. There is absolutely no integrity to the process whatsoever.

It makes you wonder why you should spend any time at all following sports, doesn't it?

George, I think "regular" baseball fans of other teams outside Chicago know what a fraud Sham-ME* is. He'll be reminded of the corking incident at various times in other parks this year, and especially at the Cell later this month. Whenever he does anything bad in the future, the corking incident will be brought up.

He may be getting off scot-free for the time being, but the scarlet letter will always be there in many peoples' minds.

MRKARNO
06-10-2003, 11:44 PM
Dont worry, us sox fans wont let him forget. When Garland broke the bats of the Giant's players tonight, the fans were all yelling "Cork." Just imagine when Sosa* comes to town

Bucktown
06-10-2003, 11:59 PM
Who gives a rip? Are we under the delusion that Sammy is the only one corking his bat? This is an age old tradition. My man Norm Cash got caught when he played 1st base for the Tigers in the 60s. Albert Belle got caught. Everyone else hasn't got caught. Big deal.

voodoochile
06-11-2003, 12:09 AM
Originally posted by Bucktown
Who gives a rip? Are we under the delusion that Sammy is the only one corking his bat? This is an age old tradition. My man Norm Cash got caught when he played 1st base for the Tigers in the 60s. Albert Belle got caught. Everyone else hasn't got caught. Big deal.

Are you serious? No, I harbor no delusions that ShamME is the only one doing it. However, I hope all the others get cuaght and suspended too.

Still, it is pretty bad that a guy who has hit as many homeruns as he has recently is a proven cheater. How many other HOF players who stood a chance to break single season and career HR marks have been proven cheaters? Canseco for his admitted steroid use? He got ridiculed too. Belle at least came back and had a great run after coming back from suspension and then went on to have a monster career. ShamME looks to be cracking under the strain of the media hype he himself created and coveted. It couldn't happen to a nicer guy...

RKMeibalane
06-11-2003, 12:15 AM
I wish I were the MLB Comissioner. None of this crap would be going on if I were. The following are the steps I would take if I had to deal with Sosa:

1. Sosa would be suspended ten games, and he would serve the suspension when I said it was appropriate. He committed the crime, so he should not be able to choose when he does the time.

2. Sosa would be prohibited from participating in this season's All Star Game. That game is supposed to be a celebration of all that is right in the game of baseball. Cheating is unacceptable, even if it was an accident.

3. The Cubs would be fined an undisclosed amount because one of their players committed a serious offense by using a corked bat.

4. A new mascot would be employed by MLB. "Corky," a life-sized cork, would begin his nationwide tour of baseball stadiums. Before each game, he would be allowed to run around the field, so fans could laugh at him. If you're trying to picture this mentally, think of the Sponge Bob character, only shaped like a cork.

5. Sosa would be required to dispose of his old bats and purchase new ones, which were approved by MLB officials. Therefore, if he were caught with a corked bat again, there would little chance of it being an accident.

6. Frank Thomas would be thrown a special parade, because he didn't cheat. Jay Mariotti would be forced to apologize to Frank for all of the terrible things he's written and said about him over the years.

T Dog
06-11-2003, 12:57 AM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane


6. Frank Thomas would be thrown a special parade, because he didn't cheat. Jay Mariotti would be forced to apologize to Frank for all of the terrible things he's written and said about him over the years.

I've been told that Mariotti doesn't interview ballplayers. This may be because ballplayers won't talk to him. (Seriously, would you talk to him?) Instead, I understand, Mariotti hangs around other reporters when they ask questions. As this is the journalistic equivalent of cheating, he has Sosa-like credibility.

34 Inch Stick
06-11-2003, 08:48 AM
I just hope White Sox fans have the opportunity to embarass him on national TV at the All Star game. If a chant of "Corky" goes up every time he hits the announcers could not help but recognize it.

Also, while I know it does not logically follow, why are the steroid questions coming up again. Rick Reilly should have had a story written within five minutes of the bat breaking.

Hangar18
06-11-2003, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick
I just hope White Sox fans have the opportunity to embarass him on national TV at the All Star game. If a chant of "Corky" goes up every time he hits the announcers could not help but recognize it.

Also, while I know it does not logically follow, why are the steroid questions coming up again. Rick Reilly should have had a story written within five minutes of the bat breaking.

CHE-ATER would come across very Clearly and Loudly on
the Crowd Mikes...........

Hangar18
06-11-2003, 09:09 AM
wait a second.......
SAMMEE CHEATTS
SAMMMEEE CHEEATTS would sound EXCELLENT
coming from the Crowd

xil357
06-11-2003, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
I wish I were the MLB Comissioner. None of this crap would be going on if I were. The following are the steps I would take if I had to deal with Sosa:

1. Sosa would be suspended ten games, and he would serve the suspension when I said it was appropriate. He committed the crime, so he should not be able to choose when he does the time.

2. Sosa would be prohibited from participating in this season's All Star Game. That game is supposed to be a celebration of all that is right in the game of baseball. Cheating is unacceptable, even if it was an accident.

3. The Cubs would be fined an undisclosed amount because one of their players committed a serious offense by using a corked bat.

4. A new mascot would be employed by MLB. "Corky," a life-sized cork, would begin his nationwide tour of baseball stadiums. Before each game, he would be allowed to run around the field, so fans could laugh at him. If you're trying to picture this mentally, think of the Sponge Bob character, only shaped like a cork.

5. Sosa would be required to dispose of his old bats and purchase new ones, which were approved by MLB officials. Therefore, if he were caught with a corked bat again, there would little chance of it being an accident.

6. Frank Thomas would be thrown a special parade, because he didn't cheat. Jay Mariotti would be forced to apologize to Frank for all of the terrible things he's written and said about him over the years.

If I were the commish, Sammy would get a 25 game suspension, without pay, with the money going to a battered womens' shelter. He would be required to serve his suspension during August, after the Cubs visit the Cell and after the All Star game, allowing for maximum exposure to hostile Sox fans. This would set an example.

I also would put all players on notice by releasing the following statement to the media: "Sammy Sosa cheated by using a corked bat in a major league game. His actions damaged the integrity of the game and call into question his sportsmanship and honesty. Major League Baseball cannot afford such questions. The line will be drawn here. From this point forward, the league will begin employing a "on deck circle umpire" during all games who will be equipped with an x-ray machine to check for illegal bats and to ensure that any body armor complies with the stated rules. Any player who brings an illegal bat to the on-deck circle will be suspended for one full season without pay and his team will be ineligible for postseason play that year. Furthermore, the commissioners office implores the players association to agree to mandatory weekly testing throughout the year for the following performance enhancing drugs: steroids, andro, creatine and human growth hormone. Lastly, players will wear their actual team uniforms during the All-Star game, with the home team wearing home whites and the road team road grays. This decision is final."

xil357
06-11-2003, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by Hangar18
wait a second.......
SAMMEE CHEATTS
SAMMMEEE CHEEATTS would sound EXCELLENT
coming from the Crowd


Synchronized COR-KY from left field and 3B side alternating with CHEAT-ER coming from right field and 1B side, would make a great stereo effect that could make him dizzy. I hope Colon first pitch plunks Sosa on his massive corked butt just on principle.

COR-KY could be changed to WIFE-BEATER on his second at-bat, so there would be a CHEAT-ER....WIFE-BEATER swirling rhyme effect.

SAMMY CHEATS, SAMMY CHEATS while he is in the field (or will chicken-sh*$ Baker have Sosa DH-ing at the Cell?)

Talk about full-throttle intimidation. If the media is going to hate Sox fans it might as well be for something truly funny and intimidating at the same time.

PaleHoseGeorge
06-11-2003, 09:25 AM
I would be satisfied with an organized review of all the video and still photographs of the Cheat's at-bats and pre- and post-game movements. They can start with a complete review of everything from last weekend's Houston Astros series.

I want to know where that corked bat was!

It should go something like this:

"Hey Shammy, we did a complete review of everything you've done since returning from the DL, but we can't find that corked bat anywhere. Exactly when did you use that corked bat for BP? We want to check out your story. It will help build up the goodwill with all your adoring fans, too--having your name cleared and your story verified. So help us out, okay?"

:shammy
<dead silence>

"Okay, so you're going to make it tough on us. No problem. We'll check the archives going back to 2001. Then we'll write a big splashy expose on how that corked bat never showed up even one time in the previous two years of your comings and goings in baseball."

:shammy
<face turning red>

"Of course if we DO find you using that corked bat in a ballgame, we'll publish the results all the sooner. Is that okay with you?"

:nandrolone
"Non habla Inglese!"

Pssssssssssssssssss.....

That's the sound of hot air escaping from the Cheat's public image. Instead of being just a convicted cheat, now he'll be the convicted Cheat & Liar, too.

doogiec
06-11-2003, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick
I just hope White Sox fans have the opportunity to embarass him on national TV at the All Star game. If a chant of "Corky" goes up every time he hits the announcers could not help but recognize it.

I can't imagine Sosa showing up for the All Star Game. I'd be willing to bet that he "pulls a hamstring" or something like that and can't play. As it stands, he won't be involved in the HR derby, and that's what he cares about anyway. I don't think his ego would let himself get abused like that at an exhibition game on national TV.

RKMeibalane
06-11-2003, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by doogiec
I can't imagine Sosa showing up for the All Star Game. I'd be willing to bet that he "pulls a hamstring" or something like that and can't play. As it stands, he won't be involved in the HR derby, and that's what he cares about anyway. I don't think his ego would let himself get abused like that at an exhibition game on national TV.

If Sosa somehow manages to make the team, I wouldn't be surprised if Major League Baseball allowed him to participate, even though he has only six homeruns. That would be something I would actually like to see. He probably wouldn't hit any homeruns, and the fans would boo him even more than they already do.

Couldn't happen to a more deserving person, either.

cheeses_h_rice
06-11-2003, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
If Sosa somehow manages to make the team, I wouldn't be surprised if Major League Baseball allowed him to participate, even though he has only six homeruns. That would be something I would actually like to see. He probably wouldn't hit any homeruns, and the fans would boo him even more than they already do.

Couldn't happen to a more deserving person, either.

Does anyone remember how absolutely roided-up -- I mean, "muscular", sorry -- Sham-ME* looked at last year's HR derby, when he had taken off a few days while his wife was in the hospital? It was incredibly obvious.

RKMeibalane
06-11-2003, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
Does anyone remember how absolutely roided-up -- I mean, "muscular", sorry -- Sham-ME* looked at last year's HR derby, when he had taken off a few days while his wife was in the hospital? It was incredibly obvious.

I remember that. Curt Schilling was a guest commentator for the event, and he made some sort wise crack about Sosa under his breath. I think he recited the famous line, "Beisbol has been bery, bery, goodtome." He said something else, too. Chris Berman tried to shut him up, but to no avial. The other players know what a fraud Sosa is. Why can't the media see something so obvious?

PaleHoseGeorge
06-11-2003, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
Does anyone remember how absolutely roided-up -- I mean, "muscular", sorry -- Sham-ME* looked at last year's HR derby, when he had taken off a few days while his wife was in the hospital? It was incredibly obvious.

I remember it, too. In fact, I'm pretty sure the Cheat's original alibi ("I use the bat for exhibitions") was spiked by his Flubbie P.R. handlers precisely because of the obvious fallout that would occur if his excuse was "admitting" to using a corked bat on such an occasion. (I italicize "admit" because Sosa is obviously creating a convenient lie about how the corked bat was used in game play.) Sosa quickly changed his story and now only admits to using the bat during B.P.--all on behalf of his loving fans, of course.

There is no doubt in my mind that last year's home run derby was the single most important event of the Cheat's entire season. As for 2003, the most important event was getting an rbi in the first inning against the Devil Dogs. Striking out five times and getting booed by the Flubbie faithful was what caused the Cheat (and Liar) to lower his threshold for cheating and lying.

dickallen15
06-11-2003, 02:06 PM
Do you think when he comes up to bat at the Cell, Nancy Faust will play the theme to the show " Life Goes On", the show with the lead character named Corky ?

alohafri
06-11-2003, 04:14 PM
The media and MLB spinmasters are busy coming up with a game plan should SCAMme decide to participate in the Allstar HR derby and/or game. You can bet your life that they are discussing ways to quell the crowd noise. I would be willing to bet that they will use pre-recorded cheering crowd noise whenever SCAMme is in view, to replace the real noise--the anti-SCAMme jeers and boos.

I plan to tape the game while I'm at the AS game so I can later compare what I hear on TV as opposed to what I hear at the game.


Also--those of us going to the HR derby and/or AS game need to come up with a chant we can all agree on so it sounds nice and loud and clear. If groups of us are chanting different things, it might be too garbled to come through.

-Mrs. Aloha