PDA

View Full Version : Saw the '93 clincher and got sad...

Juan Pizarro
06-10-2003, 03:54 PM
...about our current state of affairs. It was on ESPN Classic, that game won with Bo Jackson's moonshot.
God, I'd almost forgotten what a LOADED club we had then. Black Jack, Alex Fernandez before the two extra tons, Wilson Alvarez dominating.
Tim Raines, Ozzie, Ellis freakin' Burks, Robin at his peak.
The stadium -- "sterile," bad upper deck and all -- was full. There was a roar throughout the game, a buzz on the South Side, tube socks swinging in the air.
Made me realize once and for all how much the White Sox lost because of the '94 strike. It just kills you, and to think that Reinsdorf helped stab his own golden goose, damn!

One other thing: That club had a lot of brains on it, from McDowell on down. Just savvy guys it seemed you could have a real conversation with.
How about our current team? Is it just me, or do they seem like a bunch of dim bulbs?

LuvSox
06-10-2003, 04:02 PM
The '93 team had leaders on it, guys who could get everyone else going. This team has no leaders. These guys just go through the motions.

ssang
06-10-2003, 04:16 PM
I wish Reinsdorf could see that tape of the clincher and just realize what he and we once had with this organization. I hope and prey this could lead to a spark as to how he goes about making the White Sox a winner again. Of course there's a better chance of him selling the team by midnight!

MetalliSox
06-10-2003, 04:22 PM
I still remember the following day, they showed Tim Raines in the dugout immitating Bo Jackson and everyone was laughing. Then they cut to the game then come back to see Bo laughing and flipping everyone off.
Memories!

Foulke You
06-10-2003, 05:28 PM
Ah yes. What a game that was. Bo's homer. Kirk McAskill striking out the final M's hitter and Hawk letting out an emphatic YEEEEEESS!!! and Comiskey going up for grabs. Ozzie Guillen picking up little Joey Cora. Bo doing his victory lap around the ballpark. What a fun season that was. '94 was pretty damn fun too until August and we all know what happened then.

I still have the Chicago Sun Times from the day after the Sox clinched. A full color photo of Bo Jackson's HR swing with the headline "The Crowning Bo-Ment!" Ahhh, the memories.

soxnut
06-10-2003, 07:08 PM
Ah, it was a great time to be a Sox fan back then, and a team to be very proad of.

Reading these posts reminds me of the idea I have for the next coaching staff, if the Sox don't make the playoffs and then KW fires JM:

Ozzie - 3b coach
Bo - 1b coach
Walker --still hitting coach
Cooper- still pitching coach
Kittle - bench coach
Fisk - manager

Kittle could be manager if we couldn't get Fisk. I think this type of staff would provide the players with a better attitude, give the coaching staff some credibility with the knowledge these former players have and that the players could relate to. And it would also be a great marketing move. :smile: