PDA

View Full Version : Yankees Cut Juan Acevado

Rocklive99
06-10-2003, 02:26 PM
I heard the story on the Score, and I don't think it was a joke, but can't find a story of it online.

Acevado > White?

ChiWhiteSox1337
06-10-2003, 02:28 PM
about time, he's been terrible for the yankees all year. i'm predicting that the d-rays will pick him up

WinningUgly!
06-10-2003, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by Rocklive99
I heard the story on the Score, and I don't think it was a joke, but can't find a story of it online.

Acevado > White?
From ESPN...
Juan Acevedo's blown save June 7 against the Cubs cost Roger Clemens a chance at his 300th career victory -- and it also might have cost Acevedo his job. According to the Newark Star-Ledger, Acevedo could be released any day. The Yankees want to replace him with an experienced right-handed power reliever, and they have their sights set on Rangers closer Ugueth Urbina. A baseball official close to the situation said the Yankees have spoken with the Rangers about a deal for Urbina, even though the teams just struck a deal for outfielder Ruben Sierra last week.

Linky (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/clubhouse?team=nyy)

jortafan
06-10-2003, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by ChiWhiteSox1337
about time, he's been terrible for the yankees all year. i'm predicting that the d-rays will pick him up

I'm just going to pray that KW doesn't get any stupid ideas.

gogosoxgogo
06-10-2003, 02:46 PM
The moment I heard this story, my inclination as a Sox fan told me to cut Rick White's sorry ass and sign Acevedo. If you look at Acevedo's career, it's been pretty consistant and he's pitched well. That is much more than I can say for White. I would very much like Acevedo on the south side... I mean come on, his struggles this year would make him fit in well with our team. Just kidding with that last statement, I think he would help our bullpen greatly.

WinningUgly!
06-10-2003, 02:59 PM
It must be nice to be able to sign a guy to a 1-year, $1 Million deal in the off-season, then recognize that it's not working out & just eat the money & drop his ass 2 1/2 months into the season. This is the difference between the Yankees & the Sox. The Yankees just go out & get somebody better to replace the guy. The Sox (for years) have kept marching guys out there who have failed miserably, time after time, in hopes of saving face & not admitting they made a mistake. They Yankees make as many bad deals as any team in baseball. They just keep on dealing until they get it right.

moochpuppy
06-10-2003, 03:05 PM
Juan Acevedo's blown save June 7 against the Cubs cost Roger Clemens a chance at his 300th career victory

False statement. It was Torre's premature pulling of Clemens in the 7th inning that cost Clemens his 300th victory.

moochpuppy
06-10-2003, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by gogosoxgogo
If you look at Acevedo's career, it's been pretty consistant and he's pitched well.

The kid can't pitch in his hometown (family is located in Northwest burbs). Over the last four years Acevedo's stats at Wrigley and The Cell look look bad.

WF: 4.50 ERA, 4 IN, .267 AVG
Cell: 5.14 ERA, 7 IN, .364 AVG

gogosoxgogo
06-10-2003, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by moochpuppy
The kid can't pitch in his hometown (family is located in Northwest burbs). Over the last four years Acevedo's stats at Wrigley and The Cell look look bad.

WF: 4.50 ERA, 4 IN, .267 AVG
Cell: 5.14 ERA, 7 IN, .364 AVG

Jesus! 11 innings! He really sucked during those 11 innings, so that means he will always suck here! Thanks for pointing that out, I'll be sure to start the bandwagon of keeping Acevedo the hell out of here!

Fridaythe13thJason
06-10-2003, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by moochpuppy
False statement. It was Torre's premature pulling of Clemens in the 7th inning that cost Clemens his 300th victory.

Correct, his premature pulling coupled with putting in their worst reliever.

84 pitches is not a lot for Roger.

hose
06-10-2003, 07:00 PM
I was more surprised that the Yankees signed Acevado in the off season.

He has as much business in a Yankee uniform as a Kia does in a Mercedes show room.

MHOUSE
06-10-2003, 11:28 PM
He can't be worse than Rick White. Both players have had not stellar, but decent careers and been consistent until now. I'd just assume leave well enough alone and not risk it. White has pitched 2-3 scoreless outings of late. Acevedo was lights-out as a closer before Rivera returned. Then he couldn't be a set-up man at all. It's nice to see a team that knows a problem/weakness and deals with it.

RKMeibalane
06-11-2003, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by MHOUSE
It's nice to see a team that knows a problem/weakness and deals with it.

:reinsy

"We will deal with our weaknesses once attendance improves."