PDA

View Full Version : Your new starting CFer

Daver
06-10-2003, 12:47 PM
It's actually a rerun,and a bad one at that.

Arron Rowand called up. (http://whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_press_release.jsp?ymd=20030610&content_id=366358&vkey=pr_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cha)

Dadawg_77
06-10-2003, 12:53 PM
Man you got my hopes up to see them dashed.

cheeses_h_rice
06-10-2003, 12:58 PM
Print up those World Series tickets now, please.

PaleHoseGeorge
06-10-2003, 12:59 PM
Oh, joy!

hold2dibber
Originally posted by daver
It's actually a rerun,and a bad one at that.

Arron Rowand called up. (http://whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_press_release.jsp?ymd=20030610&content_id=366358&vkey=pr_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cha)

Any re-run would be a bad one. I'm guessing we've had less offensive production from CF (and from 3B and 1B) than just about any other team in the majors this year. Oh how I long for the days of Rudy Law!

delben91
<sigh>

lowesox
06-10-2003, 01:01 PM
Hey you gotta hand it to Kenny - just when you think he's reached the height of stupidity he takes it one level further! What was the point of this shuffle? I thought he had sent Rowand down so that he could regain his stroke. And now he's calling Rowand back up when he's hitting what .240 down at AAA. That's stupid.

And worse yet, the lineup was starting to click. How much Borchard was contributing, I'm not sure. But somebody should tell Manuel and Williams that if it ain't broke don't fix it.

One more thing: how is it that we're a third of the way into the season and KW still hasn't provided this team with a 'real' centerfielder. He is beyond dumb.

duke of dorwood
06-10-2003, 01:07 PM
From the other point of view, wasnt our record better when he was here?

ScottyTheSoxFan
06-10-2003, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by lowesox
Hey you gotta hand it to Kenny - just when you think he's reached the height of stupidity he takes it one level further!

yeah he's definitely a legend

Foulke You
06-10-2003, 01:10 PM
I don't understand this move at all. Borchard was showing improvment at the plate and Rowand is only slightly better defensively. Was Rowand making great strides in AAA Charlotte that I didn't hear about?

Procol Harum
06-10-2003, 01:38 PM
Well, I'd say about the only part of this that's "encouraging" (and I use that word very, very, loosely) is that I think Rowand's defensive abilities--at this stage--are better than Joe B.'s. Borchard didn't do too terribly given the fact that he should probably be developed as a corner outfielder, but he always looked awkward out there, breaking the wrong way on fly balls and such.

Say, what's Ken Berry doing these days?

JustJim35
06-10-2003, 01:43 PM
Hey you gotta hand it to Kenny - just when you think he's reached the height of stupidity he takes it one level further! What was the point of this shuffle? I thought he had sent Rowand down so that he could regain his stroke. And now he's calling Rowand back up when he's hitting what .240 down at AAA. That's stupid.

And worse yet, the lineup was starting to click. How much Borchard was contributing, I'm not sure. But somebody should tell Manuel and Williams that if it ain't broke don't fix it.

One more thing: how is it that we're a third of the way into the season and KW still hasn't provided this team with a 'real' centerfielder. He is beyond dumb.

I think it is because he has been hot recently (.277) so they are hoping he will come in on a roll. In addition, they are probably looking to gain Borchard some more time to develop before he loses confidence.

It isn't the best solution, but barring a major acquisition, it is the only one that makes sense at the moment.

As some have pointed out, it will take a major run to get back into the playoff hunt, so the Sox probably won't be adding any payroll until/unless they actually get back into it and even then, it doesn't see very likely with this management team...

:selljerry

jeremyb1
06-10-2003, 01:55 PM

we've tried rowand, harris, and borchard and none of them have hit worth a lick. joe's average was down to .180 and that's not going to cut it. at least rowand can field.

MHOUSE
06-10-2003, 02:05 PM
I don't mind this move so long as Rowand plays well defensively. If we're going to have a hole in the lineup, at least it won't be dropping flyballs or having them go over their heads.

Matthews Jr. has done well for San Diego. Why didn't we pick him up? There are plenty of better options but Kenny continues to try and "shake it up" by recalling and optioning guys in our own system who aren't any good. Sheesh what a dope.

hold2dibber
06-10-2003, 02:06 PM

Borchard was contributing a lot of strikeouts and rally-kills to the line-up, and that was about it.

I don't think it was a bad move, though it certainly isn't the move that will get the team back in the race. Rowand can't be any worse than Borchard has been (knock on wood), he's been improving at AAA (the last I had checked, about 5 or 10 days ago, he was hitting about .200, now he's up to .240) and Borchard clearly is not MLB ready. All things considered equal, I would rather have Borchard learning and improving in AAA. Rowand has learned and improved about as much as he ever will. In other words, I think AAA offers more to Borchard than it does to Rowand. So the move makes sense to me.

Juan Pizarro
06-10-2003, 02:36 PM
On the question of why the Sox didn't get Matthews Jr., the Padres claimed him before the Sox had a chance. (Their record was worse.)

harwar
06-10-2003, 03:02 PM
Borchard really looked lost at the plate most of the time and hes' no center fielder.I think going back to aaa can only help him.At least Rowand can get on his horse and go get em when he needs to.Any time our club is improved defensively,its ok with me.I'm in "next year" mode already anyway.

gosox41
06-10-2003, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
Any re-run would be a bad one. I'm guessing we've had less offensive production from CF (and from 3B and 1B) than just about any other team in the majors this year. Oh how I long for the days of Rudy Law!

Let's see, the Sox offense is struggling. They have a line up full of right handed hitters. Their weakest offensive position is CF so what do they do? They call up a right handed, weak hitting CF'er.

I can't wait until the offseason when KW wins GM of the year. He really knows how to fill those holes on a sub-500 team.

Bob

Irishsox1
06-10-2003, 03:11 PM
Rowand sucks....why do they keep on giving him a shot?

moochpuppy
06-10-2003, 03:13 PM
Oh how I long for the days of Rudy Law!

At this point I'd even take Lance Johnson.

Randar68
06-10-2003, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by harwar
Borchard really looked lost at the plate most of the time and hes' no center fielder.I think going back to aaa can only help him.At least Rowand can get on his horse and go get em when he needs to.Any time our club is improved defensively,its ok with me.I'm in "next year" mode already anyway.

Why, because he gets terrible jumps, chases the ball because he has no clue where it's going, dives to get it, and can't throw for crap?

Yeah, big upgrade.

MRKARNO
06-10-2003, 03:26 PM
Rowand is probably out when Harris is back.

What also should happen is the sox should either drop rick white or demote Sanders and call up Miles or Brumbaugh

Daver
06-10-2003, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
Rowand is probably out when Harris is back.

What also should happen is the sox should either drop rick white or demote Sanders and call up Miles or Brumbaugh

Why, to both.

RKMeibalane
06-10-2003, 04:15 PM
I don't mind this move as long as Manuel doesn't use Rowand's return as an excuse to continue tinkering with the lineup. Rowand should hit at the bottom of the order, where he belongs. If I see that he's hitting lead-off, it is extremely likely that I will hunt Manuel down and pound him into oblivion.

hold2dibber
06-10-2003, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
I don't mind this move as long as Manuel doesn't use Rowand's return as an excuse to continue tinkering with the lineup. Rowand should hit at the bottom of the order, where he belongs. If I see that he's hitting lead-off, it is extremely likely that I will hunt Manuel down and pound him into oblivion.

What in God's name makes you think Rowand would ever hit leadoff? When he was with the team for the first part of the season, I believe he always hit 7th or 8th. I don't remember him hitting near the top of the order at all.

gosox41
06-10-2003, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by Irishsox1
Rowand sucks....why do they keep on giving him a shot?

I heard on ESPN 1000 during one of hte updates that the Sox sent Willie Harris down. Is this true? I know but didn't know if they want to give Harris some rehab. If it is true, then the Sox are still one guy below the 25 man roster.

Anyone else here this. I think it was the 3:20 (or 3:30 whatever) update that I heard this.

Bob

Daver
06-10-2003, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by gosox41
I heard on ESPN 1000 during one of hte updates that the Sox sent Willie Harris down. Is this true? I know but didn't know if they want to give Harris some rehab. If it is true, then the Sox are still one guy below the 25 man roster.

Anyone else here this. I think it was the 3:20 (or 3:30 whatever) update that I heard this.

Bob

Willie Harris was sent down for a rehab assignment,he is technically still on the 25 man roster.

Randar68
06-10-2003, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by gosox41

Bob

What Daver said.

RKMeibalane
06-10-2003, 04:41 PM
What in God's name makes you think Rowand would ever hit leadoff? When he was with the team for the first part of the season, I believe he always hit 7th or 8th. I don't remember him hitting near the top of the order at all.

Rowand did hit lead-off a lot last season, whenever Manuel brought his "right-handed murderers row" lineup. I am aware that he has not hit at the top of the order this season, but you never know what Manuel will do.

PaleHoseGeorge
06-10-2003, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
Rowand did hit lead-off a lot last season, whenever Manuel brought his "right-handed murderers row" lineup. I am aware that he has not hit at the top of the order this season, but you never know what Manuel will do.

:hizzoner
"Once and for all gentleman, get it right. It's called the Southpaw Wrecking Crew! Got it?"

:ohno
"The wrecking they do is to our team's chances of winning."

:jerry
"Thanks for reminding me, RK. Now that Aaron is back, I think the SWC line up is just what this team needs to extend our winning streak!"

RKMeibalane
06-10-2003, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
:jerry
"Thanks for reminding me, RK. Now that Aaron is back, I think the SWC line up is just what this team needs to extend our winning streak!"

Me and my big mouth.