PDA

View Full Version : Is This the Biggest Homestand of the Year?

NewyorkSoxFan
06-10-2003, 09:02 AM
I believe that this homestand will determine what happens in July. I know I am being "Master of the Obvious", but someone may have felt that 2 weeks ago that this homestand was already meaningless. If they can go 7-3 or by some miracle 8-2 we could find ourselves back in the race, and set them up for a big July. This series against the Giants will set the tone for the homestand, and I think that they may finally be ready to embrace the challenge.

NYSF :)

delben91
06-10-2003, 09:29 AM
I'm starting to take a middle ground stance, an attempt to not get too optimistic over brief winning streaks, or too pessimistic during the (many) losing streaks.

If I can take it a game at a time, it's much better for my peace of mind.

That being said, if the Sox were to hand the Giants their collective *** on a platter, I wouldn't object.

Go Sox!! :gulp:

MRKARNO
06-10-2003, 10:27 AM
Yes this is huge. 8-2 would mean the sox would find themselves back at .500 and back in the thick of things in the central

34 Inch Stick
06-10-2003, 11:07 AM
As Richard Crenna said to Sylvester Stallone in Rambo

"It's over Johnny".

voodoochile
06-10-2003, 11:14 AM
The home stand may be only 10 games long, but they are still in Chicago at the end of it for 3 days for the flubbies series. The after a 3 game set in Minnesota they are back in Chicago for 6 more, so 19 of the next 22 games they get to sleep in their own beds. In addition 16 (including the 3 actual road games) of the games are against "rivals" either in their division or for the hearts and minds of the Chicago public.

It would be SO cool to see a repeat of 1999 against the flubbies, but this stretch could go a long way toward making or breaking the season...

gosox41
06-10-2003, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by voodoochile
The home stand may be only 10 games long, but they are still in Chicago at the end of it for 3 days for the flubbies series. The after a 3 game set in Minnesota they are back in Chicago for 6 more, so 19 of the next 22 games they get to sleep in their own beds. In addition 16 (including the 3 actual road games) of the games are against "rivals" either in their division or for the hearts and minds of the Chicago public.

It would be SO cool to see a repeat of 1999 against the flubbies, but this stretch could go a long way toward making or breaking the season...

I think the season is already broken. They had 62 games to establish a presence and let everyone know they were contenders. All they've proven is they are pretenders.

This team lacks the overall heart to win. It's like a kid hyped up on sugar. The don't focus on the little things.

And this offense frustrates me even more. It bugs me that veteran hitters in the prime of their careers are weak minded enough to let a small slump turn into the disasater they have now. Konerko, Ordonez, Thomas (until about 10 days ago), Valentin and to some extend Lee all have at least 2000 ML AB's and some a lot more then that. It's not like these guys haven't hit a rough patch here and there and they've gotten out of it in the past in much shorter time. Now they're so weakminded they let it snowball.

Pressing and bad luck are the two phrases I hear most to describe the Sox hitting. Well pressing is all psychological. These guys all have had success in the majors before and should know what it takes to get the job done. As for 'bad luck,' I truly believe to an extent you create your own luck, good or bad.

Bob

valposoxfan
06-10-2003, 11:56 AM
The Sox have been weak and disappointing the entire year up to now. I still think they are pretenders but in the response to the question, "Is this the biggest homestand of the year?" the answer is a big fat YES. The Sox gained a game on Sunday and are three games out of second. If the Sox can pull into second place within the next week to ten days, I may start believing. The veterans have played remarkably better as of the last week and a half for the exception of Konerko. Everyone is ripping Valentine however he goes through this kind of slump every year and pulls out of it by the middle to end of June. They seem to have a confidence right now that we haven't seen at all this year and think they can win games. I am not saying the Sox are going to turn it around because that has happened to often this year, but there is reason to think that the players at least are starting to think about making a run...

Foulke You
06-10-2003, 01:26 PM
This is definitely the biggest homestand so far. It is time for this team to put together a winning streak. Everytime they muster up some wins (like 3 of their last 4 which we just did) they always seem to fall flat. Enough of the "two steps forward, three steps back" routine. It is getting old. It is time for the team to step up and it starts tonight against SF with Garland on the mound. I'll be there in LF cheering our boys on to respectablilty and hopefully by July...Contention!

PaleHoseGeorge
06-10-2003, 01:57 PM
The Sox aren't going to win 2 out of 3 over the remaining 100 games. The best they can do now is make the final results look respectable. Of course to my way of thinking, that result might be the WORST they can do. If they make the final results respectable--after they've already blown it--the hard choices necessary to make this team into a real contender will be avoided.

The Sox ownership syndicate needs to push Reinsdorf out. Until that happens, expect more of what you been given the last 23 seasons--precious little.

:selljerry

duke of dorwood
06-10-2003, 02:13 PM
Just like the last couple of seasons, which, as PHG states, have given them excuses not to make the real necessary moves.

JustJim35
06-10-2003, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
The Sox aren't going to win 2 out of 3 over the remaining 100 games. The best they can do now is make the final results look respectable. Of course to my way of thinking, that result might be the WORST they can do. If they make the final results respectable--after they've already blown it--the hard choices necessary to make this team into a real contender will be avoided.

The Sox ownership syndicate needs to push Reinsdorf out. Until that happens, expect more of what you been given the last 23 seasons--precious little.

:selljerry

Heck, they don't NEED to win 2/3, just beat the crap out of the Twinkies and play them even the rest of the way... um... on second thought maybe 2/3 will be easier to do... :D:

Yeah, the Sox are gooing to probably need some help from the Twinks, but they don't exactly look like world beaters so far, so anything is possible. Make up the 7.5 games and then let the chips fall where they may...

Foulke You
06-10-2003, 02:32 PM
While a White Sox comeback in the division isn't likely, it certainly isn't out of reach yet. Whenever I'm about to throw in the towel on this season, I have to remind myself that there are 100 games left on the schedule and we are just 7.5 back. That is a TON of baseball left to play. Cautious optimism is the policy I'm following. I'm not a pie in the sky Cub fan. I'm not going to start printing playoff tickets because we won 3 of 4. My point is that there is lots of baseball left and I refuse to believe that this team is going to hit this poorly the whole season. There is too much hitting talent there for this to continue. The real question is, will the pitching hold together and will the Twins play too well for us to catch up to them? Tune in to this June homestand for a sneak preview of things to come.

jeremyb1
06-10-2003, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by NewyorkSoxFan
I believe that this homestand will determine what happens in July. I know I am being "Master of the Obvious", but someone may have felt that 2 weeks ago that this homestand was already meaningless. If they can go 7-3 or by some miracle 8-2 we could find ourselves back in the race, and set them up for a big July. This series against the Giants will set the tone for the homestand, and I think that they may finally be ready to embrace the challenge.

NYSF :)

i feel like it is because you only have so many chances to turn it around and the last two games is the best we've looked all season.

fhqwhgads
06-10-2003, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You
and hopefully by July...Contention!

Step 1: Collect underpants.
Step 2: ???
Step 3: Profit!

GO TWINS!

NewyorkSoxFan
06-11-2003, 07:02 AM
Well we got off to a good start last nite. If we can get MB some run support and don't throw the ball all over the yard we have a good chance to do some damage in this series. I obviously wasn't at the game but I could sense the energy in the park, I think the fans want to get excited so bad. Hopefully they will give it to them.

Of course that could have been because of half-price nite. :smile:

Well for the first time in about a month I can't wait to watch them play tonite, one more by the Rockies like last nite, and this could get real interesting.

NYSF

delben91
06-11-2003, 07:59 AM
Originally posted by NewyorkSoxFan

Well for the first time in about a month I can't wait to watch them play tonite, one more by the Rockies like last nite, and this could get real interesting.

NYSF

Great game last night. I must agree, for the first time in a while I actually am excited waiting for the Sox to play again. Although, I'll wait until they're about 3 games back before I start getting too optimistic. Let's see if they can keep playing good ball again tonight.

Tragg
06-11-2003, 08:21 AM
I would say this is the biggest homestand of the year. It gives us the opportunity to get back to 500 and to do so while playing 2 teams that are probable playoff teams.