PDA

View Full Version : MLB All-Star Game to feature Generic Uniforms for 1st time

Hangar18
06-09-2003, 04:12 PM
Just when you figured how else could Bud Selig mess
the game of Baseball up.......He messes with the Uniform
concept. Since I was a Kid, it was the most fun, to watch the
All-Star Game Introduction Ceremonies, and see a White Sox
Player on the Field with all the other Uniforms of the other teams.
Now, we get to see them in those HORRIBLE "american" &
"national" uniforms, somone profiled here previously. Can
Selig NOT somehow screw things up? Im not sure what the
NBA did previously, but I liked how they "Copied" the MLB
by having the players wear their Uniforms. It was one of
the spectacles of the All Star Game you came to love.

Foulke You
06-09-2003, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Just when you figured how else could Bud Selig mess
the game of Baseball up.......He messes with the Uniform
concept. Since I was a Kid, it was the most fun, to watch the
All-Star Game Introduction Ceremonies, and see a White Sox
Player on the Field with all the other Uniforms of the other teams.
Now, we get to see them in those HORRIBLE "american" &
"national" uniforms, somone profiled here previously. Can
Selig NOT somehow screw things up? Im not sure what the
NBA did previously, but I liked how they "Copied" the MLB
by having the players wear their Uniforms. It was one of
the spectacles of the All Star Game you came to love.

That sucks!! When did they announce this? It has to be a marketing decision so they can sell more jerseys. What, having the players wearing them on HR derby day wasn't enough to boost sales Bud? The NBA used to have dog ugly all-star jerseys and they got rid of it because people PREFERRED having their team's colors and uniforms represented on the field. Now, all the players will blend in completely together. Un-frikkin' real. Hopefully Bud will at least let them wear their team's hats?

39thandWallace
06-09-2003, 04:37 PM
I don't understand how thing's from the past become popular again?

Mesh hat's are making a comeback, MESH HAT"S!!!

This was the worse possible hat you could get get when you where a kid, I hated mine I'll tell you that.

Along with the '83 SOX uniform and all '80's uniforms for that matter. I hope they never return.

Hangar18
06-09-2003, 04:38 PM
Guess it was announced over the weekend. A sox fan in Dodger Stadium thought he heard something about that, so I read the paper, and Jason Giambi was ripping Bud Selig for making that decision. I totally agree. I wont buy that UGLY jersey. What a terrible, terrible move. Baseball again somehow manages to kick itself in the Ass again.

T Dog
06-09-2003, 05:31 PM
I have read that at the first All-Star Game, in 1933, the National League wore a league uniform but dropped the practice when the game was renewed as a mid-season tradition.

The uniforms won't be the most nauseating thing about this year's All-Star Game. I hope there are enough real baseball fans in attendance to shower with boos someone who doesn't belong because Sammy Sosa will be there, even if he still has less than half as many home runs as Frank Thomas.

RKMeibalane
06-09-2003, 05:40 PM
Add this to the list of things that Selig has done wrong. His stupidity amazes me. After last season's debacle in Milwaukee, one would think that Selig would be trying to make things better, not worse. Having the players wear their team uniforms is tradition. Selig shouldn't have done this.

MarkEdward
06-09-2003, 06:36 PM
Here's the article:

http://www.ajc.com/braves/content/sports/0603/08bbnote.html

TornLabrum
06-09-2003, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by T Dog
I have read that at the first All-Star Game, in 1933, the National League wore a league uniform but dropped the practice when the game was renewed as a mid-season tradition.

You are correct.

sox_fan_forever
06-09-2003, 10:27 PM
Ahhh! This makes me so mad. Just when you think there isn't anything more for Selig to mess up.... I wonder what's next on his list? Maybe I don't want to know.

TornLabrum
06-09-2003, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by sox_fan_forever
Ahhh! This makes me so mad. Just when you think there isn't anything more for Selig to mess up.... I wonder what's next on his list? Maybe I don't want to know.

Fifth inning is now the "beer frame" for the players.