PDA

View Full Version : Borchard to AAA, Padres catcher claimed

MHOUSE
06-09-2003, 04:42 PM
Just heard this on AM 1000. The cactcher is Michael Rivera and he was sent to AAA as well, probably to cover for Paul being recalled.

Is Harris being reactivated? Why is Borchard sent down? He was doing all right at least defensively. Hopefully they'll announce who will take his spot soon.

Also, they said Frank will remain at first while Konerko will DH. Finally a good call by Manuel regarding the lineup. When he said "we'll play with it" when they get back to the 'Cell' I got nervous.

kermittheefrog
06-09-2003, 04:50 PM
Any clue who the Padres catcher is?

soxrme
06-09-2003, 04:53 PM
he is batting abour 1.98. I hope they bring Rowand up. Let him work on his swing in the minors.

joecrede
06-09-2003, 04:59 PM
The catcher is Michael Rivera (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/fielding?statsId=6820)

Hangar18
06-09-2003, 05:00 PM
Keep Frank Thomas at 1B rest of the year....
Move Carlos Lee to DH, Borchard moves to LF
and Call up Rowand to play CF

Randar68
06-09-2003, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by soxrme
he is batting abour 1.98. I hope they bring Rowand up. Let him work on his swing in the minors.

UGH. He isn't even hitting .250 in AAA!

xil357
06-09-2003, 05:07 PM
Talk about a move to inspire the masses, solidify the roster for a post-season run and to develop our up-and-coming talent!

Randar68
06-09-2003, 05:13 PM
in 13 games in AAA he has 1 BB and 21 K's. wonderful.

Randar68
06-09-2003, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by MHOUSE
Just heard this on AM 1000. The cactcher is Michael Rivera and he was sent to AAA as well, probably to cover for Paul being recalled.

Is Harris being reactivated? Why is Borchard sent down? He was doing all right at least defensively. Hopefully they'll announce who will take his spot soon.

Also, they said Frank will remain at first while Konerko will DH. Finally a good call by Manuel regarding the lineup. When he said "we'll play with it" when they get back to the 'Cell' I got nervous.

Who in the world is going to play center? I guess Rios can for a couple games if they are waiting for Harris to retun from the DL.

Daver
06-09-2003, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by Randar68
Who in the world is going to play center? I guess Rios can for a couple games if they are waiting for Harris to retun from the DL. Lee and Rios next to each other in the same outfield is a scary thought.

SoxxoS
06-09-2003, 05:29 PM
A Lee-Ordonez-Daubach outfield has to be the slowest in the majors. Not that anyone mentioned that, but I just food for thought.

There has to be a center fielder we can acquire, somewhere. Willie Harris can't hit or field the position really well, we know that. He might be even worse after this injury. Come on KW, we have been looking for a true center fielder now for sometime now.

I am SOOOOOO happy we signed Rick White and Tom Gordon over Jose Cruz.

Disgusting.

Randar68
06-09-2003, 05:32 PM
The press release form the Tribune (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-030609soxborchard,1,6995456.story?coll=cs-home-headlines)

SoxxoS
06-09-2003, 05:35 PM
Also, if he wasn't good enough for the Padres...

joecrede
06-09-2003, 05:38 PM
Who in the world is going to play center? I guess Rios can for a couple games if they are waiting for Harris to retun from the DL.

There was a note in Ken Rosenthal's column yesterday (http://www.sportingnews.com/voices/ken_rosenthal/20030608.html) that the Sox are interested in Jeffrey Hammonds who was released by the Brewers last week.

Hangar18
06-09-2003, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS

This is a classic Cub-hand-in-the-dumpster-hope-noone-is
looking-while-we-get-something-to-eat--hope-
the-best-college-AAA-Player-gets-passed-to-us move.

A.T. Money
06-09-2003, 05:43 PM

One man's trash is another man's treasure.

Hangar18
06-09-2003, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by SoxDemon
One man's trash is another man's treasure.

-Next Years Cub Slogan

SoxxoS
06-09-2003, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by joecrede
There was a note in Ken Rosenthal's column yesterday (http://www.sportingnews.com/voices/ken_rosenthal/20030608.html) that the Sox are interested in Jeffrey Hammonds who was released by the Brewers last week.

How much is his contract, anyone know? I dont see Uncle jerry shelling out the big bucks for him.

Randar68
06-09-2003, 05:59 PM
How much is his contract, anyone know? I dont see Uncle jerry shelling out the big bucks for him.

The Brew Crew released him. I don't recall the rules and how much the Sox would be on the hook for. Guys with his salary rarely get waived.

voodoochile
06-09-2003, 06:04 PM
The Brew Crew released him. I don't recall the rules and how much the Sox would be on the hook for. Guys with his salary rarely get waived.

I'm pretty sure that if you claim a guy off of waivers, you have to pay the remainder of his contract. The Sox are undoubtedly waiting to see if he clears and then they can sign him on the cheap and the Brewers still have to pay the majority of his current contract. I think the Brewers would not have to pay the money the Sox are paying him, but the rest of it is all on them.

example:

Hammonds current contract = $5M/year.
Sox sign him for $2M/year
Brewers are still on the hook for $3M/year.

But, I've been wrong so often it isn't even worth mentioning anymore...

lowesox
06-09-2003, 06:06 PM
Guys, I'm pretty sure this is going to be the first in a two part move. If we sent Borchard down and this new catcher down too that means we have an open roster spot, and no true starting centerfielder in the mix. Is Harris due to come off the DL tomorrow? If not, the KW might have more coming.

MHOUSE
06-09-2003, 06:06 PM
Hammonds is extremely injury prone and is paid way to much to sit on the DL. He's not a center fielder. He plays RF IIRC. Unless you want Lee/Rios-Maggs-Hammonds/Daubach, then I would look elsewhere for a center fielder. I don't understand why they would send down Joe when a not 100% (and bad CF/hitter) Harris and Rowand are our other options. Even at .200 Borchard is better.

Also, the Sox are skipping Wright's next turn. It will be Garland, Buehrle, and Colon against San Fran. Not a bad move, but all this tinkering with the rotation might bite us at some point. Wright has had 3 good, 3 bad outings. Maybe skipping the next bad one will help.

Foulke You
06-09-2003, 06:09 PM
I got a feeling the Sox have something cooking for a CF. There is no other explanation for sending down Joe Borchard. Hammonds might be a possibility but I think KW has a trick up his sleeve. Have any other CF's been in trade rumors recently? Kenny Lofton maybe?

Daver
06-09-2003, 06:15 PM
Call up Chad Durham.

maurice
06-09-2003, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by lowesox
Is Harris due to come off the DL tomorrow?

IIRC, Harris is going to do a rehab stint at Charlotte before being recalled. Since we already have 12 pitchers, they'll need to add another OF who can play CF. Must be either Rowand, Durham, or a player outside of the Sox system.

Rowand (AAA) - 32 Games, 120 AB, .316 OBP, 9 2B, 3 HR, 11 BB, 12 SO, 15 Runs, 13 RBI

Durham (AA) - 58 Games, 195 ABs, .345 OBP, 8 2B, 1 3B, 23 BB, 39 SO, 27 Runs, 17 RBI, 11/21 SBs

gosox41
06-09-2003, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by MHOUSE

Is this KW's attempt at a shake up?

Bob

gosox41
06-09-2003, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
I'm pretty sure that if you claim a guy off of waivers, you have to pay the remainder of his contract. The Sox are undoubtedly waiting to see if he clears and then they can sign him on the cheap and the Brewers still have to pay the majority of his current contract. I think the Brewers would not have to pay the money the Sox are paying him, but the rest of it is all on them.

example:

Hammonds current contract = $5M/year.
Sox sign him for $2M/year
Brewers are still on the hook for $3M/year.

But, I've been wrong so often it isn't even worth mentioning anymore...

I'm pretty sure the Sox just have to pay him the league minimum and the Brewers pick up the rest. If no one picked him up on waivers then the BrewCrew pick up all his salary.

Bob

gosox41
06-09-2003, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You
I got a feeling the Sox have something cooking for a CF. There is no other explanation for sending down Joe Borchard. Hammonds might be a possibility but I think KW has a trick up his sleeve. Have any other CF's been in trade rumors recently? Kenny Lofton maybe?

It's probably Hammonds. I hope it's not Lofton. It wasn't the brightest move the first time around and would be even dumber to give up talent for him.

Whoever it is you can count on 1. It not being a blockbuster move and 2. KW will over pay.

Can Aaron Miles play CF?

Bob

voodoochile
06-09-2003, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by gosox41
I'm pretty sure the Sox just have to pay him the league minimum and the Brewers pick up the rest. If no one picked him up on waivers then the BrewCrew pick up all his salary.

Bob

That will depend on whether another team is in the bidding also. Other teams might also have set their sights on him and it may come down to length of contract of whether he feels a team has a better chance at the playoffs or not.

MarkEdward
06-09-2003, 07:27 PM
Thoughts:

1. I sort of like the Rivera pick-up. He's not much of a prospect anymore, but he's better than anyone in our system right now (Olivo excluded). He put up an .866 OPS in Toledo last year. He has sucked this year, but that could be due to sample size. I'd like to see him as our back-up here in Chicago (of course, anything's better than Paul).

2. Something must be brewing in center field. Jeffrey Hammonds? Good signing, if we get him on the cheap. Unlike others (coughJoseGuillencough), Hammonds can actually play center, and his OBP has never been awful.

Still rather have Borchard up, though...

duke of dorwood
06-09-2003, 11:23 PM
This team is going nowhere-Borchard should be learning here, without the added pressure of knowing he'd be sent back. If the best hitting coach in the organization is here, Joe should be too.

Daver
06-09-2003, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
This team is going nowhere-Borchard should be learning here, without the added pressure of knowing he'd be sent back. If the best hitting coach in the organization is here, Joe should be too.

I would have to say that IMO the best hitting coach in this organization is currently in Charlotte.Greg Walker can work well with veteren players,but for pure instruction to young players I would pick Gregg Ritchie.

MRKARNO
06-09-2003, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by daver
I would have to say that IMO the best hitting coach in this organization is currently in Charlotte.Greg Walker can work well with veteren players,but for pure instruction to young players I would pick Gregg Ritchie.

So are you suggesting another switch?

WinningUgly!
06-10-2003, 01:52 AM
Originally posted by Foulke You

Any chance SD would make Mark Kotsay available? They just picked up Gary Mathews Jr. & he's been great since joining the Padres. Besides being a solid left handed hitter (career .284 average), Kotsay has one of the best arms in the game. He led major-league outfielders with 20 assists in 1998 and 19 in 1999. He had the most assists among MLB outfielders from 1998-2001, with 57.

Mark Kotsay's contract status...
2003: $4.45M
2004: $5.5M
2005: $5.5M
2006: $5.5M

Kilroy
06-10-2003, 07:48 AM
Word this morning is that A-Row is getting re-called.

woo-hoo... yay...

hold2dibber
06-10-2003, 07:50 AM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Keep Frank Thomas at 1B rest of the year....
Move Carlos Lee to DH, Borchard moves to LF
and Call up Rowand to play CF

The Sox are struggling to score runs, and you want Rowand AND Borchard in the line-up while Daubach and Konerko sit on the bench? No way - I know PK's been horrible, but the guy has been a solid major league hitter for 3 years. He'll come around. Same with Daubach. Borchard obviously isn't ready and Rowand has yet to achieve any real success at the MLB level.

SoxxoS
06-10-2003, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!
Any chance SD would make Mark Kotsay available? They just picked up Gary Mathews Jr. & he's been great since joining the Padres. Besides being a solid left handed hitter (career .284 average), Kotsay has one of the best arms in the game. He led major-league outfielders with 20 assists in 1998 and 19 in 1999. He had the most assists among MLB outfielders from 1998-2001, with 57.

Mark Kotsay's contract status...
2003: $4.45M
2004: $5.5M
2005: $5.5M
2006: $5.5M

That is about-

$3.45
$4.5
$4.5 and
$4.5

Too Much. :(: :D: