PDA

View Full Version : Is there really no bias in the media?

irish rover
06-09-2003, 11:20 AM
I'm not a huge conspirator with regards to this but this past weekend really showed the true "cubby Blue" colors of the media in this town

They all act like this the first time the yankees have ever played in chicago. Of course not much is mention about the sox playing the dodgers who they played in the 1959 series the last ws a chicago team made the ws and now they play the giants who they beat in 1917 which is the last time either chicago team won the world series yet these are pretty much getting zero coverage.

Now I understand that the Yankees are a big story not matter where thye go bu this is redic

The coverage also proves to me that it had more to do with them playing at Wrigley then the coob. Which also reinforces that the attendance at the park has more to do with the park than the team. If they were playing at a park similar to USC, they wouldn't have anywhere near the attendance nor would the yankee series be as big. Most reports usually strted out as "This is the first time since 1938 that the Yankees have played at Wrigley" never mentioned the coob until after mentioning the park

just my impression

Hangar18
06-09-2003, 11:30 AM
Im looking at all the stories in todays Cubune and SunTimes....
Sox are Swallowed up and not even thought of. Why i stopped keeping track of the stories of the 2 teams. WHen one team
gets over 100 storie lead on your team, might as well Admit IT.
THE MEDIA LOVES THE CUBS. which in turn makes the People love the cubs. What was lost in all of this, was the NUMBER OF SOX FANS IN LA THIS WEEKEND. I was amazed and PROUD.
You shouldve heard Dodger Stadium Cheer when Thomas Crushed that ball Sat Nite. and for Credes HR too.......that alone was worth my travelling 2000 miles to see that in person.....

soxnut
06-09-2003, 11:35 AM
It has alot to do with the park. A few years ago, I was working down at Navy Pier. I was conversating with a tourist about what he was doing in Chicago while he was on vacation. Here is one of the statements he made " Yesterday we went to see the White Sox play.....today we are going to Wrigley Field."--notice the difference.

The whole Cubby-Wrigley thing is a tourist attraction within a baseball-type setting. It has nothing to do with sports, winning is just icing on the cake.

The Sox, on the other hand, are in line with most of the rest of the sports world...........when you lose.......no-one shows up or cares......when you win...you get the attention.

Fridaythe13thJason
06-09-2003, 11:37 AM
You want media bias? This is bad, certainly, but look at the national media and the Seattle Mariners. They are by far the best team in the AL, and they get very little love. Some would chalk it up to the West Coast thing, but surprisingly the national media has no problem "staying up late" to cover the Giants and their winning ways.

I'm pretty sure they're in the same time zone.

soxrme
06-09-2003, 11:38 AM
They actually showed a few Sox fans in the crowd but nowhere near how they do it with the cubs. I am so sick of the media in this town with the cubs its unbelievable. And if anyone doesn't think that the suspension wouldn't have been done already if not for ESPN they are crazy. You don't suppose Corky wants to not come to our park because his reception will be far different.

cheeses_h_rice
06-09-2003, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by soxnut
It has alot to do with the park. A few years ago, I was working down at Navy Pier. I was conversating with a tourist about what he was doing in Chicago while he was on vacation. Here is one of the statements he made " Yesterday we went to see the White Sox play.....today we are going to Wrigley Field."--notice the difference.

The whole Cubby-Wrigley thing is a tourist attraction within a baseball-type setting. It has nothing to do with sports, winning is just icing on the cake.

The Sox, on the other hand, are in line with most of the rest of the sports world...........when you lose.......no-one shows up or cares......when you win...you get the attention.

As I was walking down Clark Street to enter Wrigley, I heard a guy behind me practically cream his pants when he saw that grey, steel cathedral in all its glory. It was pretty funny.

Hangar18
06-09-2003, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by soxrme
They actually showed a few Sox fans in the crowd but nowhere near how they do it with the cubs. I am so sick of the media in this town with the cubs its unbelievable. And if anyone doesn't think that the suspension wouldn't have been done already if not for ESPN they are crazy. You don't suppose Corky wants to not come to our park because his reception will be far different.

I was going to ask that same question. Man, there were TONS
of us Sox Fans there in Dodger Stadium. It was the coolest and very heart warming to see. Every time I walked thru the aisles and concourses, I saw Other SOX Fans, we High 5'ing each other etc etc. Did the Media show us there in Force??? We were
Very Easy to Spot

joecrede
06-09-2003, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
As I was walking down Clark Street to enter Wrigley, I heard a guy behind me practically cream his pants when he saw that grey, steel cathedral in all its glory. It was pretty funny.

Was that guy the insufferable Jim Belushi? :D:

I'd rather be a Sox fan and associated with empty blue seats than a Cubs fan and associated with empty pseudo-celebrities.

mandmandm
06-09-2003, 12:10 PM
I saw Jim Belushi with his kids at a Sox game in early 1995. He said he was a Cubs fan but that his kids wanted to see the Sox becuase they were a good team. Like I said this was early in the season and like many Sox fans his kids probably thought this was the great 1994 team that would have gone to the world series, not the John Kruck, Chris Sabo, Rob Dibble, Dave Righetti crap show that Reinsdorf put on the field following the strike.

xil357
06-09-2003, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
of Sox Fans there, it was the coolest and heart warming thing to see. walking thru the aisles and concourses, seeing Other SOX Fans, High 5'ing each other etc etc. Did the Media show us there in Force???

Because the media has swallowed the WGN monolithic blue corked roid-flavored kool-aid and pisses it out on the unsuspecting and gullible masses of lemmings, they can't even see the tiny splinter that may be in our eyes because of the corked 2x4 in theirs.

This is why the media boycott must be taken to a new level. See the "changing the media coverage" thread stuck to the top of this "Sox Clubhouse" forum.

I'll give you this anecdote...

One of the deacons at the church I attend near Dallas is a part-time dentist and part-time real estate agent. A few years ago, he resigned a lofty position as a tenured professor at a prestigious dental school because he thought the school was passing students who didn't deserve to pass, among other things. He helped my wife and I buy our first house. He could have let us buy anything, but if we were looking at a craphole for a house, he'd rather call it a craphole than make a quick sale. The man was born with more integrity in his pinky finger than most people have accumulated or even encounter over their lifetimes. Well, he was born and raised in Iowa and the lone blemish as far as I am concerned is that he's a Cubs fan. (lol) He's not a Wrigley-worshipping idiot, as he started rooting for the Cubs when he was young and when the park was seen as a crumbling sewer, even among Cubs fans, so I take his opinions and insights very seriously.

Well, just yesterday he called Sammy a complete idiot for using a corked bat and said he is virtually certain that Sammy has been eating steroids like altoids over the past few seasons, and he must have stopped during the offseason as his ballooning weight and girth bear unmistakable evidence of rapid muscle atrophy due to a sudden stoppage of steroid use. He thinks Sammy was pressing and resorted to using a corked bat to offset his rapidly declining performance. (For the record, he also thinks many more major league players are juiced, too).

Just thought this was interesting coming from a life-long Cubs fan and medical professional.

Jerko
06-09-2003, 01:07 PM
The worst bias I ever experienced re: White Sox v. Wrigley field is hard to even admit. I live within walking distance of the Cell, and we had friends from New York in town. Granted, they are Mets fans, but it was a day when both Chicago teams were in town. I don't know who the Cub were playing, and the Sox were playing the Yankees. Guess which game they went to? You got it. The Cub. Now that is pretty bad when you have New Yorkers in town, walking distance to where the Yankees are playing, and they go to a Cubs game. Sad. This was about 5 years ago and if I remember correctly, the Yankees were pretty good in 1998. :?: :?:

Dan H
06-09-2003, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by irish rover
I'm not a huge conspirator with regards to this but this past weekend really showed the true "cubby Blue" colors of the media in this town

They all act like this the first time the yankees have ever played in chicago. Of course not much is mention about the sox playing the dodgers who they played in the 1959 series the last ws a chicago team made the ws and now they play the giants who they beat in 1917 which is the last time either chicago team won the world series yet these are pretty much getting zero coverage.

Now I understand that the Yankees are a big story not matter where thye go bu this is redic

The coverage also proves to me that it had more to do with them playing at Wrigley then the coob. Which also reinforces that the attendance at the park has more to do with the park than the team. If they were playing at a park similar to USC, they wouldn't have anywhere near the attendance nor would the yankee series be as big. Most reports usually strted out as "This is the first time since 1938 that the Yankees have played at Wrigley" never mentioned the coob until after mentioning the park

just my impression

I made the same point on a different thread. The coverage of NY-Cubs series was sickening. When it comes right down to it, this was just a three game series. There was nothing historical about it. The Cubbie myth-making machine was in high gear.

Procol Harum
06-09-2003, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
of Sox Fans there, it was the coolest and heart warming thing to see. walking thru the aisles and concourses, seeing Other SOX Fans, High 5'ing each other etc etc. Did the Media show us there in Force???

Interesting. From the sound levels, I could tell that there was a nice slice of Sox support at Chavez Ravine but you'd never notice it from the TV coverage. I only saw a couple of shots of Sox fans.

I wonder how much this might have had to do with the origin of the feed and what control the Chicago outlet may have had. I also wonder if whoever is running out-of-town Sox broadcasts is working with the same mindset as the people who orchestrate the Cub away games--who are obviously instructed to make sure that they prominently feature shots of Cub fans throughout the game. Just another way to help build the Cub mystique.

soxnut
06-09-2003, 07:00 PM
Hawk and DJ did mention the fact that there were alot of Sox fans in LA. I also loved it when Hawk was talking about Kids Day next Sunday being sponsored by Laffy-Taffy, and then said LA could be sponsord by Laffy-Taffy.

:hawk
You're dadgum right I did.......

PaleHoseGeorge
06-09-2003, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by Procol Harum
Interesting. From the sound levels, I could tell that there was a nice slice of Sox support at Chavez Ravine but you'd never notice it from the TV coverage. I only saw a couple of shots of Sox fans.

I wonder how much this might have had to do with the origin of the feed and what control the Chicago outlet may have had. I also wonder if whoever is running out-of-town Sox broadcasts is working with the same mindset as the people who orchestrate the Cub away games--who are obviously instructed to make sure that they prominently feature shots of Cub fans throughout the game. Just another way to help build the Cub mystique.

If that were the Cubs playing on the road in front of a bunch of Cubs fans, the Cubs announcers would have been crowing about it every inning. The cameras would have shown them in between every pitch too, sitting in their seats wearing their baby bear pajamas. It's enough to make me barf.

The Sox have no clue how to generate some excitement around the team. That's the single-biggest reason why we lose more and more ground to the Flubbies.

:angry:

RKMeibalane
06-09-2003, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
The Sox have no clue how to generate some excitement around the team. That's the single-biggest reason why we lose more and more ground to the Flubbies.

If the White Sox are to have any chance of "reclaiming" Chicago, they need to hire competent people to work in their public relations department. Of course, that requires spending money, and Jerry Reinsdorf refuses to do that. The problem is, his reluctance to spend a dime only makes things worse. When is he going to realize that in order to make money, you have to spend money first?

I feel sorry for the young children who are now receving their first exposure to baseball. Because of the worthless Sox PR department, these youngsters are probably condemned to life as Cubs fans. What a terrible way to live!