PDA

View Full Version : The Score Really does love the Cubs...

Hangar18
06-09-2003, 11:59 AM
This "station" sponsored recently the Cub Luncheon with
Darrens dad Dusty. Then, they recently sponsored the party
on a rooftop with biggest cubfan in the media, Murphy. Then, this weekend, they Hosted a party at some bar, in celebration of the Yanks coming here. When is this nonsense going to stop?
So glad I wasnt around this weekend for this Media BS.

soxnut
06-09-2003, 12:04 PM
It won't stop until the Cubs are under .500. Then their genius won't look like such a genius. :whiner:

cheeses_h_rice
06-09-2003, 12:06 PM
Can't blame 'em.

The Sox/Dodgers matchup was a good storyline, I thought, but let's face it -- it was in L.A., not Chicago. Plus the Dodgers were in Brooklyn when the Sox last played them.

Compare that to a longer (65 years) gap in playing each other, the fact that the Yanks and Cubs are vying for first place in their divisions, the fact that they were playing at the very same ballpark that they played at 65 years ago, the fact that Roger Clemens was going for his 300th W, etc., and the fact that the Yankees and Cubs are 2 of the most popular ballclubs around, and you have a no-brainer situation for the media.

Yeah, I thought it was a tad overblown, considering it's early June and all, but I can't say I'm at all surprised.

A.T. Money
06-09-2003, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
Can't blame 'em.

The Sox/Dodgers matchup was a good storyline, I thought, but let's face it -- it was in L.A., not Chicago. Plus the Dodgers were in Brooklyn when the Sox last played them.

Incorrect. The Dodgers moved to LA from Brooklyn in 1958. The Dodgers in 59 were the LA Dodgers, and they played in the LA Colliseum before Dodger Stadium at Chavez Revine was built in 1961 or 62.

Compare that to a longer (65 years) gap in playing each other, the fact that the Yanks and Cubs are vying for first place in their divisions, the fact that they were playing at the very same ballpark that they played at 65 years ago, the fact that Roger Clemens was going for his 300th W, etc., and the fact that the Yankees and Cubs are 2 of the most popular ballclubs around, and you have a no-brainer situation for the media.

Yeah, I thought it was a tad overblown, considering it's early June and all, but I can't say I'm at all surprised.

What's even more amazing is that not only the Sox playing a team they last played in the World Series (Dodgers), they now play another team they haven't played since the World Series (Giants) and that was in 1917, even longer than the Cubs/Yankees series. Of course, no one cares about that.....

Hangar18
06-09-2003, 12:15 PM
Watched NBC-5's "special coverage" as they reported LIVE (as did all the stations) from the most overrated dump in the world.
WHat got me, was the reporters. They asked some of the dumbest questions around, and seemed to be Giddy with excitement that the Yankees were here. They asked people to compare the Pizzas from here and there. They asked people who had the better nitelife. THey asked Yankee fans if they thought this was a big series. The nonstop Chicago vs NY comparisons were RIDICULOUS. did anybody bother telling that BIMBO Alison Rosati that the Yankees play the Sox EVERY YEAR.
In fact theyve been here every yr to play the SOX back in the 20th century. ridiculous.

soxrme
06-09-2003, 12:16 PM
The cub-yankee thing was so overblown it was ridiculous, and yes the cubs are still not in first place. But cheese - Dodgers were in LA the last time they played.

Jerko
06-09-2003, 12:16 PM
At the end of the Yankee game last night, they showed an African American in the Cubs dugout wearing a Cub jacket cheering wildly when the runner got picked off of first? He seemed to be in his 40's maybe. Was that a coach or Dusty's oldest son?

cheeses_h_rice
06-09-2003, 12:24 PM
Thank you for correcting me on the Dodgers issue. For some reason, I had them pegged as going to L.A. in the early '60s, but I'm probably confusing that with when they moved into Chavez Ravine.

And re: the upcoming Giants series, is this the first time the Sox have played them in interleague b-ball? If so, you sure wouldn't know it based on the press coverage.

soxrme
06-09-2003, 12:28 PM
Yes it is the first time in inter-league play. Where is the Chicago media on Barry Bonds coming here for the first time. Oh yeah he has been here but on the other side of town. Guess it doesn't mean as much this week.

Hangar18
06-09-2003, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by soxrme
Yes it is the first time in inter-league play. Where is the Chicago media on Barry Bonds coming here for the first time. Oh yeah he has been here but on the other side of town. Guess it doesn't mean as much this week.

The Media ISNT Dripping with Excitement or Giddiness because the Giants are here every Year to play the n side team.
Hey wait a minute....If the cub-loving media isnt covering the Giants because theyre here every year anyway.....Then Why all the Hoopla and Giddiness over the Yankees? because the YANKS are a REAL TEAM? compared to the bogus NL teams?

Fridaythe13thJason
06-09-2003, 12:34 PM
You have to put some blame on the Dodgers and White Sox for that problem. They totally failed to hype up the historical aspect of that series. I live in LA, and read Chicago press, and the players didn't say anything and neither didn't the franchises. They should've worn '59 Uniforms, and they coulda even played a game at the Coll. if they wanted a truly interesting event.

Instead, not even at the game did any of the fans have a clue. It wasn't mentioned in the opening, nothing. I agree that the Chicago media has a bias and that was ridiculous even on the national level with the Cubs-Yankees, but the Dodgers and Sox definitely share some blame.

fquaye149
06-09-2003, 01:03 PM
also let's be realistic...the sox are far from first right now. in the cubs yanks series at both teams were flirting with first...although the dodgers are a better team than both of them. i guess it could have appeared a rather lopsided series.

Foulke You
06-09-2003, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by SoCalUIC
You have to put some blame on the Dodgers and White Sox for that problem. They totally failed to hype up the historical aspect of that series. I live in LA, and read Chicago press, and the players didn't say anything and neither didn't the franchises. They should've worn '59 Uniforms, and they coulda even played a game at the Coll. if they wanted a truly interesting event.

I thought they should've worn the unis from '59 as well. However, the current Dodgers and Sox unis aren't too much different from their 1959 counterparts and that could have been the reason for not doing the throwback unis.

MRKARNO
06-09-2003, 08:44 PM
I think we all can agree that the hype over the Yanks-Cubs series compared to the SOx-Giants or Sox-LA series is unwarrented. You had to turn 9 pages in the Sun Times today to find out that the Sox won a good game

39thandWallace
06-10-2003, 08:43 AM
I listen to Mike North almost everyday. He is definetly a Sox fan.

NewyorkSoxFan
06-10-2003, 08:57 AM
Living here in NY, that was definitely a Chicago thing, b/c no one here really cares. It was about Roger gettting number 300. We have to get over the whole NY-Chi thing. New yorkers don't care, and Chicagoans care too much what NY thinks of our city.

That being said, It wouldn't have gotten all the hype it did had the Cubs not been winning and their were some interesting pitching matchups. If the Sox were winning, this series against the Giants would be getting alot more hype. But honestly at this point I am unconcerned with any of the media propaganda going on, I just want them to keep winning and get back in the Central race. This is one huge homestand.

NYSF

Hangar18
06-10-2003, 10:59 AM
WHY ISNT THE MEDIA GIDDY WITH EXCITEMENT over the
Upcoming SOX vs GIANTS series? After all, the last time these
2 teams played, it was 1919. We were just discovering
Electricity, entering the Roaring 20's, Georg Burns was a young Lad, we only had like what, 40 states back then? By the way, the Giants were in NY back in 1919, and this was the last time a Chicago Baseball Team DEFEATED a NY team. Following the
Medias Rationalization for their 3 day Orgy/Coverage, Im sure
THIS VISIT is Important too. These guys were in the WS just
last year. in fact, its been 84 years (yes, EIGHTY FOUR)
since the Giants have been to chicago. Wheres Fox and NBC-5 w that bimbo Rosatti with her glib NyPizza vs Chicago Pizza remarks. The media was so damn GIDDY over a NY team being here for the "first time in 38 years", they completely forgot
that the Yankees have been here every year since they were
born to play the Sox. WHeres THE MEDIA ORGY?? WHERES
ALISON ROSATI??

Procol Harum
06-10-2003, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by SoCalUIC
I agree that the Chicago media has a bias and that was ridiculous even on the national level with the Cubs-Yankees, but the Dodgers and Sox definitely share some blame.

It's typical of the way the Sox management and p.r. people think--even when the Cubs began to rev up the Cubs-Yankee hype back in February they couldn't catch a clue and see how they might be able to milk the Dodgers series and the coming of Barry Bonds to the Cell. When it comes to the Chicago Baseball P.R. & Marketing Wars it's Robert E. Lee on the North Side and Beetle Bailey on the South Side.

At some point we have to give credit where credit is due and simply put we must say that our North Side rivals have done a masterful job of orchestrating the media (in part because they own it--WGN, Trib--but that just goes to prove the point--these people are pros) and marketing their ballclub and decrepit ball park. At every step along the way they have outmanuevered and preempted the Sox marketing geniuses who focus their efforts on one-time wing-dings like "Dog Days" and "Sleepovers" and silly ad campaigns like "The Kids Can Play" and "All Year" (O Lord, we know, we know!) instead of presenting the team and its history, tradition and ethos. When was the last time that the Cubs had a stinkin' "theme" to their advertising that you can remember?

Meanwhile, as Lip and Hal have pointed out numerous times, the Sox have managed to hand the fan-friendly tag to the North Side during the last 20 years thru such moves as the trashing of Bill Veeck (who, like his baseball acumen or not, was definitely perceived by Sox fans as having their interests at heart), dumping of Harry Caray, putting the Sox on pay-per-view, the recent All-Star year price gouge, etc., etc.

Grobber33
06-10-2003, 11:29 AM
I worked at the Score for over 4 years,and trust ,me--most On air people there are SOX Fans. Murph and Bartosh are Cub Fans,while Huebner,Boers,Bernstein,North,Jiggets and Hood are big time Sox Fans. Most of their reporters(Ofman and Kerner for example)dont favor one or the other.Same with Buffone(he sort of favors the Cubs because he played in Wrigley,but he does'nt root for either team when the Sox and Cubs play).Jessie switches which ever way the wind is blowing.
They have a Cub Luncheon,because it's a money maker-and for no other reason.REMEMBER,when I worked there,lots of folks called that place WSOX.

(Also,dont beleive stuff you may hear that NORTH,BOERS,and OFMAN are really Cub Fans---not true. North's Wife is a Cub Fan,but Mike himself is a Sox Fan to the end.

cheeses_h_rice
06-10-2003, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by Grobber33
I worked at the Score for over 4 years,and trust ,me--most On air people there are SOX Fans. Murph and Bartosh are Cub Fans,while Huebner,Boers,Bernstein,North,Jiggets and Hood are big time Sox Fans. Most of their reporters(Ofman and Kerner for example)dont favor one or the other.Same with Buffone(he sort of favors the Cubs because he played in Wrigley,but he does'nt root for either team when the Sox and Cubs play).Jessie switches which ever way the wind is blowing.
They have a Cub Luncheon,because it's a money maker-and for no other reason.REMEMBER,when I worked there,lots of folks called that place WSOX.

(Also,dont beleive stuff you may hear that NORTH,BOERS,and OFMAN are really Cub Fans---not true. North's Wife is a Cub Fan,but Mike himself is a Sox Fan to the end.

Waitaminnit...Les, you're telling me that GEORGE OFMAN of all people is actually a Sox fan?!? I can say without reservation that that just isn't true, unless Ofman puts on a totally different personality while he's on the radio.

Grobber33
06-10-2003, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
Waitaminnit...Les, you're telling me that GEORGE OFMAN of all people is actually a Sox fan?!? I can say without reservation that that just isn't true, unless Ofman puts on a totally different personality while he's on the radio.

I've known George for 25 years--and he is like many. He is always for THE BEST STORY and stuff like that. When these 2 teams play each other,George Ofman will not be rooting for either team. North,Jiggets and perhaps Boers have 'accused' George of being a Cub Fan, but you never heard him say so on the air--cause he is'nt really a die-hard Fan of either team. That's the Fact Jack!!

Hangar18
06-10-2003, 12:00 PM

Interesting Grobber. But I dont buy Huebner. There is something unreal about him. Dont know about Boers/Bernstein either. they seem neutral to me. Hood though Yes, I
believe.

A.T. Money
06-10-2003, 12:13 PM
Hangar18. the Sox played the Reds in 1919. The Sox played the Giants in 1917.

Grobber33
06-10-2003, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Interesting Grobber. But I dont buy Huebner. There is something unreal about him. Dont know about Boers/Bernstein either. they seem neutral to me. Hood though Yes, I
believe.

Actually.I've known Fred Huebner a bit longer than George--and he is a huge Sox Fan(nothing phoney here)but he is fair in his reporting. As for Terry and Bernsy,they do a 'different' type of show of course,but I repeat,they bleed Silver and Black. Hood is another who is very fair when it comes to reporting about the two teams,but again, big time Sox Fan.Murph is a Cub Fan,but spends plenty of time hammering them when he feels it's warrented---obviously-I do too. A couple people there are not very objective,but that's their problem,not mine or anybody here on this site. Most try to be fair.

Hangar18
06-10-2003, 12:34 PM
Actually.I've known Fred Huebner a bit longer than George--and he is a huge Sox Fan(nothing phoney here)but he is fair in his reporting. As for Terry and Bernsy,they do a 'different' type of show of course,but I repeat,they bleed Silver and Black. Hood is another who is very fair when it comes to reporting about the two teams,but again, big time Sox Fan.Murph is a Cub Fan,but spends plenty of time hammering them when he feels it's warrented---obviously-I do too. A couple people there are not very objective,but that's their problem,not mine or anybody here on this site. Most try to be fair.

I believe everyone to be "Fair" (which is a journalists job). Murphy uses that morning show as his Personal Cub Discussion
Show. It really is amazing that he hasnt been HAMMERED
(besides by sox fans) for this. It is shameful. I dont consider
him a Journalist at all, but some Cub fan who happened to get
some airtime on the Radio. The way he "Steers" conversations
back towards the Cub, the way he "BAITS" callers to a topic
that is always 100% Cub, how he thinks Noone Notices is
beyond me, is about as Subtle as having a Brick Thrown threw
your Front Window. He is Yellow and thats the worst INSULT
you can hurl at a "Journalist", Broadcast or Print. Little does
he know the Jokes on Him. (i'll give him some credit here, he railed on Buehrle after the twins loss) Huebner, is hes such
a Sox Fan, why is he an afterthought on that morning Program?
Les, you may/may not be able to shed light on this. WHY IS
HE ALWAYS BEING STEPPED ON in favor of all Topics Cub?
ITS preposterous that Huebner CLAIMS to be a SOX FAN, yet
lets the show become WCUB. Let me get on that show as a HOST with MURPH. That indeed would be some Damn
Good Radio. I'll show him what a Sox Fan is thinking.

A.T. Money
06-10-2003, 12:42 PM
If you want to hear two guys debate Cubs and Sox, you should listen to Silvy and Carmen on ESPN 1000. Silvy is a Flubs fan and Carmen is a Sox fan. Carmen usually kicks Silvy around too...lol.

Hangar18
06-10-2003, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by SoxDemon
If you want to hear two guys debate Cubs and Sox, you should listen to Silvy and Carmen on ESPN 1000. Silvy is a Flubs fan and Carmen is a Sox fan. Carmen usually kicks Silvy around too...lol.

thanks for pointing out my years earlier. What time are these
guys on? Might have to give a quick listen. Im for EQUAL time,
not the One-Sided CUbFest mornings on wscr. They should REMOVE Huebner and just let Murph do that show solo.

maurice
06-10-2003, 02:25 PM
WHERES ALISON ROSATI??

Mmm . . . Alison Rosati. :cool:

Dan H
06-10-2003, 04:06 PM

Terry and Bernsy do a little a different type of show all right. It is a dull four hours of making fun of people. They don't respect anyone's opinions other than their own. I don't care what they bleed. They are not worth listening to.

A.T. Money
06-10-2003, 04:34 PM
They should REMOVE Huebner and just let Murph do that show solo.

Please don't!!! I hate Murph's LISP! ANNOYING!!!

As for the Silvy and Carmen show:

http://www.espnradio1000.com/showdj.asp?DJID=7496

They were on the day after the corkgate incident as well. Silvy was trying to be optimistic, and Carmen was like, "Are you on crack?"

LOL...good stuff.