PDA

View Full Version : How many games will the Sox win against the Flubbies?

cheeses_h_rice
06-09-2003, 10:54 AM
That all-important Windy City crosstown series begins in 2 weeks, with 3 games at the Urinal and then 3 the next weekend at the Cell.

How many will the Sox win?

soxnut
06-09-2003, 10:59 AM
REALIST?? So if the Sox actually win 5 of those games..that's not real?---I REALly hate that term.

cheeses_h_rice
06-09-2003, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by soxnut
REALIST?? So if the Sox actually win 5 of those games..that's not real?---I REALly hate that term.

Have you been watching the same White Sox team that I have?

soxnut
06-09-2003, 11:23 AM
Yes I have.. And if they continue with their APPROACH to hitting, the way they did yesterday and the pitching stays where ti has been.....they have a shot to win 5.

cheeses_h_rice
06-09-2003, 11:26 AM
I hope so, Soxnut.

But, I am already chalking up both games against Prior as losses, plus at least one against Wood. That leaves 3 games, and I think the Sox will be fortunate to win 2 of those.

xil357
06-09-2003, 11:43 AM
If Sammy's handlers are smart, they will work it so he'll serve his suspension over at least some of the games vs. the Sox at the Cell, so he won't have to endure the merciless "Corky" chants. If they aren't smart and if Sammy plays at the Cell, he'll strike out in bunches and the Sox will have better odds of winning those games.

If Manuel is smart, he'll tinker with the rotation to have Colon and Loaiza face Wood and Prior (not necessarily in that order) in the six games, and give Garland a least one opportunity to face the team that traded him. Sox starting pitching, tried and tested against the superior AL, should clean up against the lineup of the inferior Cubs of the inferior NL.

I'm betting on the Sox bats to awaken from their season-long slumber over the next few weeks, especially with improving weather at home. The law of averages says that players ultimately will hit at levels right around their career averages. While we might not see output equal to 2000 or even last season, the hitting will improve. Book it.

Sox fans have to turn out in droves -- and ready the vocal cords -- to support our team. If that happens we might get to break out the brooms.

Pass the silver and black kool aid, my friend.

Foulke You
06-09-2003, 04:59 PM
Cheeses:

I'm curious, why do you automatically chalk up Prior and Wood as losses? Kerry Wood has been awful (0W-3L) against our White Sox and Prior is 0W-1L against the Sox since we handed a loss out to him last year in Comiskey where Thomas took him deep. They are good pitchers yes, but they aren't automatic.

I tend to think that we'll have a repeat of what happened last year during the two crosstown series. We'll lose 2 out of 3 at the Urinal because we are a dreadful road team and NL rules will hurt our offense. We'll win 2 out of 3 at the Cell because of the DH factor, crowd, and the fact that the Sox just seem to play well there.

There is also a certain Cub killing player on our team who wears #45 and is probably wiping the drool of his face at chance to crank out his 3rd Cub destroying grand slam.
:caballo
El Caballo es Cubbie Poison!

RKMeibalane
06-09-2003, 06:01 PM
I'm looking forward to these games. If the Sox can manage to score some runs, there's no reason why they can't win the majority of the games. The Cubs pitching staff is better, but not by much. Kerry Wood has shown a tendency of being extremely wild against the Sox. That's what got him in trouble last season when Carlos blasted a grand slam at the Urinal.

Prior has nasty stuff, and the Sox may have problems with him. However, if last season is any indication, they could do some damage against him, if they are patient.

The one advantage the Sox do have is their offense, if it bothers to show up. If Sox offense is performing as expected, they will dismantle the Cubs pitching staff, and the Cubs will not be able to score enough runs to keep up. They don't have enough power in their lineup, and they have never been a team that steals bases on a regular basis.

Vsahajpal
06-09-2003, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice

But, I am already chalking up both games against Prior as losses, plus at least one against Wood. That leaves 3 games, and I think the Sox will be fortunate to win 2 of those.

Barring any rainouts in Cincinnati (interleague play merits DH's in the event of a rainout, and the Cubs will play at the Sky Dome and Miller Park), the Sox won't face Prior at all, and will face Wood just once.

I think the Sox will win both series.

cheeses_h_rice
06-09-2003, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You
Cheeses:

I'm curious, why do you automatically chalk up Prior and Wood as losses? Kerry Wood has been awful (0W-3L) against our White Sox and Prior is 0W-1L against the Sox since we handed a loss out to him last year in Comiskey where Thomas took him deep. They are good pitchers yes, but they aren't automatic.

I tend to think that we'll have a repeat of what happened last year during the two crosstown series. We'll lose 2 out of 3 at the Urinal because we are a dreadful road team and NL rules will hurt our offense. We'll win 2 out of 3 at the Cell because of the DH factor, crowd, and the fact that the Sox just seem to play well there.

There is also a certain Cub killing player on our team who wears #45 and is probably wiping the drool of his face at chance to crank out his 3rd Cub destroying grand slam.
:caballo
El Caballo es Cubbie Poison!

I just haven't seen our explosive offense look very formidable against any top-notch pitchers this year.

Though, if as Vic says, the Sox can avoid Prior in both series, I'll give them slightly better odds at taking 3 or 4 of 6.

Right now, I'm just daring this Sox team to show me something.

sox_fan_forever
06-09-2003, 10:30 PM
I think the Sox will win at least 3 games. I may change my mind about that depending on how they do in these next few games.

cheeses_h_rice
06-10-2003, 04:38 PM
Request to the mods to make this a sticky...please?

voodoochile
06-10-2003, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
Request to the mods to make this a sticky...please?

Done, but in the future just send me a PM.

delben91
06-11-2003, 07:03 AM
Originally posted by xil357

Sox fans have to turn out in droves -- and ready the vocal cords -- to support our team. If that happens we might get to break out the brooms.

Well, I'll do my part, this Sox fan is going to be flying in from D.C. to see the Cubs/Sox series at the cell.

twiggy
06-15-2003, 06:53 PM
I just wanted to say Hi. I'm a closet Sox fan since I live in St. Louis--

I cannot wait for the Sox/sCrUBS series. You guys better tear Sosa up with "Cork" chants and such... :D:

Die cubbies die.

Daver
06-15-2003, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by twiggy
I just wanted to say Hi. I'm a closet Sox fan since I live in St. Louis--

I cannot wait for the Sox/sCrUBS series. You guys better tear Sosa up with "Cork" chants and such... :D:

Die cubbies die.

Hey welcome aboard! :redneck

twiggy
06-15-2003, 07:21 PM
Thanks daver! Nice to be here :smile:

DrCrawdad
06-15-2003, 09:56 PM
SPLIT.

SOX 3.
CUBS 3.

Thunderstruck30
06-16-2003, 01:10 PM
The Sox have won the season series in every odd numbered year. In 97 they went 2-1. In 99 they went 4-2. In 01 they went 4-2. And in both 99 and 01, the Sox were struggling at the time while the Cubs were doing great and were in first. The Cubs have only won the season series once in 98. In 00 and 02 both teams won 3 games each. So my prediction is that the Sox will win 4 out of 6.

sox_fan_forever
06-16-2003, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by Thunderstruck30
The Sox have won the season series in every odd numbered year. In 97 they went 2-1. In 99 they went 4-2. In 01 they went 4-2. And in both 99 and 01, the Sox were struggling at the time while the Cubs were doing great and were in first. The Cubs have only won the season series once in 98. In 00 and 02 both teams won 3 games each. So my prediction is that the Sox will win 4 out of 6.

I like the way you think! heehee

StillMissOzzie
06-17-2003, 02:03 AM
"The enemy of my enemy is my friend" - a quote from that old Chinese general who wrote "The Art of War"? I dunno, but welcome to WSI, twiggy.

vegyrex
06-17-2003, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by Thunderstruck30

I'm hoping for another '99. That's when the Cubs fortunes fell apart. Hehe, Sammy said at the time it didn't matter if the Cubs lost to the Sox because the Cubs were going to the play offs. HAHAHAHA, they wound up in last place instead. :smile:

SouthSideHitman
06-17-2003, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by StillMissOzzie
"The enemy of my enemy is my friend" - a quote from that old Chinese general who wrote "The Art of War"? I dunno, but welcome to WSI, twiggy.

Sun Tzu. And I agree, Sox and Cards fans should be friends, but a lot of St. Louis fans I've met have been hostile to the Sox. I don't get it.

Oh, and I said five wins (I guess hope springs eternal) I think that Loaiza and Colon will win up north and the Sox will sweep at home allowing me to bring my broom when I go to the Sunday game. These games plus those against the Twinkies will be the catalyst of the season for us.

Thunderstruck30
06-17-2003, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by vegyrex

I'm hoping for another '99. That's when the Cubs fortunes fell apart. Hehe, Sammy said at the time it didn't matter if the Cubs lost to the Sox because the Cubs were going to the play offs. HAHAHAHA, they wound up in last place instead. :smile:

On June 9, 1999, the Cubs were 32-24, 8 games over 500, and 2 games out of first. Meanwhile, the Sox were 27-29 and 10 games out of first. Then the Cubs got swept by the Sox, and from that point their season went down the drain. Exactly one month later, the Cubs were in last. After June 9, they went 35-71, worst in the Majors. I too am hoping for another 99. Lets get another sweep at Wrigley.

GASHWOUND
06-18-2003, 12:46 AM
This series is gonna be a lose/lose for us either way...If we win 2 of 3 against them cub fans are gonna say "well, we're still in first place" blah, blah, blah..."This doesn't mean anything, the Tigers beat the Yankees 2 of 3 last week" blah, blah. blah

and if we lose 2 of 3 to them, well..we lost 2 of 3 to the better team and what not... So unless we sweep their butts, it's a lose/lose for us..

I;m scared to death of these series, I've had freakin panic attacks watching these games cause with us being such underdogs in this town and nobody giving a crap about us at least we could have a little bit of bragging rights...I'm glad we're missing Prior and Wood...but our offense is still pathetic and that doesn't hold well facing anybody on the cubs pitching staff..even Estes.
We've been shut down by worse then him...

Look at that Padres game...

twiggy
06-18-2003, 01:37 AM
Originally posted by SouthSideHitman
Sun Tzu. And I agree, Sox and Cards fans should be friends, but a lot of St. Louis fans I've met have been hostile to the Sox. I don't get it.

Because you won't hand over Buehrle! :smile:

Really though, those you met aren't Cards fans. Come to Busch -- You can be wearing any jersey you want (no Cubs) and we'll welcome you and knock back a few :gulp: with you.

I'm so geared up about the Sox/Cubs matchup--it wont come fast enough! MMMMM

Vsahajpal
06-18-2003, 02:32 AM
Originally posted by GASHWOUND
This series is gonna be a lose/lose for us either way...If we win 2 of 3 against them cub fans are gonna say "well, we're still in first place" blah, blah, blah..."This doesn't mean anything, the Tigers beat the Yankees 2 of 3 last week" blah, blah. blah

and if we lose 2 of 3 to them, well..we lost 2 of 3 to the better team and what not... So unless we sweep their butts, it's a lose/lose for us..

I;m scared to death of these series, I've had freakin panic attacks watching these games cause with us being such underdogs in this town and nobody giving a crap about us at least we could have a little bit of bragging rights...I'm glad we're missing Prior and Wood...but our offense is still pathetic and that doesn't hold well facing anybody on the cubs pitching staff..even Estes.
We've been shut down by worse then him...

Look at that Padres game...

Estes blows, that's a Sox winner.

The Cubs offense has really been bad, so the Sox won't need to score that many runs.

SouthSideHitman
06-18-2003, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by twiggy
Because you won't hand over Buehrle! :smile:

Really though, those you met aren't Cards fans. Come to Busch -- You can be wearing any jersey you want (no Cubs) and we'll welcome you and knock back a few :gulp: with you.

I'm so geared up about the Sox/Cubs matchup--it wont come fast enough! MMMMM

I'll be at Busch on the third of July against Barry with my Cards fans cousins and I hope everyone else will be nicer to the guy in the Sox jersey than them.

And though I can't drink, I know I'll be having more than a few Cokes because it's hotter than all-get-out in Missouri in July.

GASHWOUND
06-18-2003, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by Vsahajpal
Estes blows, that's a Sox winner.

The Cubs offense has really been bad, so the Sox won't need to score that many runs.

With our offense, Estes very well could shut us down....I'm not tooting my horn with this year's Sox team...And for some reason it seems when we face the cubs offense their bats seem to wake up against us....

Well, lets ask the trustee Magic 8-ball on how we'll do..
http://www.only-network.com/games/m8ball/m8ball.asp?

Vsahajpal
06-18-2003, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by GASHWOUND
With our offense, Estes very well could shut us down....I'm not tooting my horn with this year's Sox team...And for some reason it seems when we face the cubs offense their bats seem to wake up against us....

Well, lets ask the trustee Magic 8-ball on how we'll do..
http://www.only-network.com/games/m8ball/m8ball.asp?

Q:"Does Shawn Estes blow?"

A:"Most Likely"

There you have it.

delben91
06-23-2003, 10:30 AM
Q:"Does Shawn Estes blow?"

A:"Most Likely"

There you have it.

Huh, looks like the 8-ball may have been on after all, looking back as Estes performance on Friday.

Zambrano was something else yesterday though, matched Colon pitch for pitch and won the game. A really solid outing.

Vsahajpal
06-29-2003, 05:30 PM
Barring any rainouts in Cincinnati (interleague play merits DH's in the event of a rainout, and the Cubs will play at the Sky Dome and Miller Park), the Sox won't face Prior at all, and will face Wood just once.

I think the Sox will win both series.

Two pretty good series, especially for CWS. Looking at the match-ups I figured the Sox would win both, and that's what happened. Timely hitting was the big difference, along with Cubs relievers seemingly collapsing all at the same time. The games were fun to watch strictly from a fan's perspective, but man there were some really bad miscues on both sides. I think both teams need to address these problems if they're going to go far.

DrCrawdad
06-29-2003, 07:24 PM
In the head-to-head pitching match-ups the Sox starters did well, except for the last two games. IMHO the Sox starters outperformed the Cubbie starters in 4 of the 6 games (all but the last two).

Winning the Chicago City Series (as Les has called it) is important, but in my mind it will mean very little if the Sox don't go on and win this next series against the Twins.

Vsahajpal
06-29-2003, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad
In the head-to-head pitching match-ups the Sox starters did well, except for the last two games. IMHO the Sox starters outperformed the Cubbie starters in 4 of the 6 games (all but the last two).

Winning the Chicago City Series (as Les has called it) is important, but in my mind it will mean very little if the Sox don't go on and win this next series against the Twins.

I don't think Colon outpitched Zambrano the first time. They were not really themselves yesterday, maybe a push.

DrCrawdad
06-29-2003, 10:47 PM
I don't think Colon outpitched Zambrano the first time. They were not really themselves yesterday, maybe a push.

Saturday it seemed that something was wrong with Colon. We'll see how Colon does in his next start.

At Wrigley both Colon and Zambrano were on their game. IIRC Colon didn't allow any runs but Zambrano did allow one run. Edge Colon.

Dan Wright wasn't a masterpiece but only allowed one run while Clement gave up three.

The other games are clear, game one Garland without a doubt did better and so did Buehrle.

Overall I was satisfied with the Sox play but the same old stuff happened (bad baserunning, missed opportunities, poor defense) however this series it didn't hurt the Sox as badly as usual.

Ok you beat the Cubs, now beat the Twins again.