PDA

View Full Version : do you think the last two teams signal a turnaround?

jeremyb1
06-09-2003, 01:28 AM
as i've stated in other threads i couldn't be more pleased with our offense the last two games. we've put up runs at other points this season but never like this. we scored 14 runs in two games against the team that has allowed the fewest runs in baseball. we're saying and doing all the right things: hitting the ball the other way, settling for singles instead of swinging for the fences, and get huge production from frank.

a prime example from the tribune in case anyone missed it:

Lee fouled off several pitches before driving Mota's 0-2 pitch into the left-field bullpen for his 100th career home run.

Two innings earlier, Lee had promised some teammates that he would go to right field in his next at-bat. He dropped a single into right-center to end an 0-for-11 slide.

"He made up his mind that he was going to stay inside the ball and go to right field," Manuel said. "Once he does that, he'll hit his homers."

Lee is a believer.

"All I'll try to do from now on is hit the ball to right field," he said. "That helps me stay closed, and I can see the ball longer."

so what's the prevailing thought here? anyone else on the turnaround bandwagon?

voodoochile
06-09-2003, 01:51 AM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
as i've stated in other threads i couldn't be more pleased with our offense the last two games. we've put up runs at other points this season but never like this. we scored 14 runs in two games against the team that has allowed the fewest runs in baseball. we're saying and doing all the right things: hitting the ball the other way, settling for singles instead of swinging for the fences, and get huge production from frank.

I'm not quite there yet, but being an eternal optimist it won't take much to get my juices flowing. I'm skeptically enthusiastic at the moment. When they get to .500, I'll be more willing to let out a jungle yell and set my sights on the Twinkies. The division is certainly winnable. The Twins are really less than spectacular this year, regardless of their easier schedule from here on out.

AngelLeroy
06-09-2003, 03:05 AM
I think the Sox can turn it around. I think a HUGE key is Thomas staying at first, however. If he stays there, he'll continue to be hot for a little while at least, and a hot Frank Thomas can carry the offense. Also good hitting is contagious, and other players will see better pitches as pitchers try to avoid Thomas as much as possible.

jeremyb1
06-09-2003, 04:37 AM
Originally posted by voodoochile
I'm not quite there yet, but being an eternal optimist it won't take much to get my juices flowing. I'm skeptically enthusiastic at the moment. When they get to .500, I'll be more willing to let out a jungle yell and set my sights on the Twinkies. The division is certainly winnable. The Twins are really less than spectacular this year, regardless of their easier schedule from here on out.

yeah i don't know. i'm optimistic to a fault sometimes and i don't have much to do other than watch baseball these days until my summer job starts in a week but i'm just really excited all of a sudden. i'm planning on going to the game tuesday even though i'd swore i wouldn't go again until we were .500.

hose
06-09-2003, 06:44 AM
Originally posted by jeremyb1

It's great that the bats are coming to life.

Sox are due for a winning streak, lets see what happens.

The last month was like being in Stalingrad , feeling completely hopeless.......I hear the T-34's starting to rumble :D:

xil357
06-09-2003, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by hose
It's great that the bats are coming to life.

Sox are due for a winning streak, lets see what happens.

The last month was like being in Stalingrad , feeling completely hopeless.......I hear the T-34's starting to rumble :D:

Another thing to consider is that they have a better home record than road record (although both are abysmal), and they will have more home games than road games from here on out.

Also, the weather is improving, which should help the hitting. If Maggs and Lee get hot along with Frank, watch out. The important thing is for men to be on base for the middle of the order, and Paul "DP" Konerko needs to continue to ride some pine on the DL, working with Greg Walker, so he can't DP baserunners away. Have Jiminez DH and bring up Miles to play 2B.

The Twins and Royals haven't exactly played inspiring ball lately, the Sox are due to wake up from this six-week slumber, and this division race could turn in a flash. ON THE OTHER HAND, they haven't exactly separated themselves from Cleveland and Detroit (oh, to have a reset button for those games...).

This series against the Giants should prove to be a good litmus test for the Sox.

MRKARNO
06-09-2003, 09:19 AM
I'm an optimist. THis is where we turn things around for good. This team is way too good for its current record

soxnut
06-09-2003, 11:45 AM
I think a turnaround is possible. It all has to do with their approach to hitting. So far, for most of the season, they have been swinging for the fences. I posted here about a month back saying I wish the fences were 500 feet away--then they'd have to just think about getting hits. So, finally they are doing that and it should make a tremendous difference. This team has too much talent(no matter what "Dan the crab-ass McNeil" says) to be floundering offensively. I want to get excited, but I'm very tempered so far this year..we'll see......... :smile:

lowesox
06-09-2003, 12:09 PM
Sorry guys, but weve been down this road many times before this season. The sox win two in a row to end a series. The fans get excited think things are turning around. The Sox become very content with themselves, then lose the first two games of the next series.

I hope Im wrong.

soxnut
06-09-2003, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by lowesox
Sorry guys, but weve been down this road many times before this season. The sox win two in a row to end a series. The fans get excited think things are turning around. The Sox become very content with themselves, then lose the first two games of the next series.

I hope Im wrong.

I'm not excited about them winning two games in a row. I am encouraged by their APPROACH to hitting...which is or is not, going to make this team successful. I knew they were trying to hit it out of the park all the time before...I hope that from what I have read, that they have finally leared that-that approach does not work. I've been calling them dumb-hitters all season so far--I think hopefully they have smartened up :smile:

Iguana775
06-09-2003, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by soxnut
I'm not excited about them winning two games in a row. I am encouraged by their APPROACH to hitting...which is or is not, going to make this team successful. I knew they were trying to hit it out of the park all the time before...I hope that from what I have read, that they have finally leared that-that approach does not work. I've been calling them dumb-hitters all season so far--I think hopefully they have smartened up :smile:

That's the thing that seems to be different. Frank is killing the ball and their mindset at the plate is different. Lee said that all he is trying to do now is hit it to right. Walker must be finally earning his check. I guess it took a while to weed out all the Ward crap in their heads.

Procol Harum
06-09-2003, 03:05 PM
The past few days are indicative that the team probably is convinced the season is done. Hence, they've relaxed and finally started to play now that the pressure is off. Before you call me a pessimist I have two words for you: 2001 and 2002 (well, three actually, but you know what I mean). We've seen this act before, my Pale Hose brethren. Now, it sure beats seeing what we've been watching since mid-April, but in terms of fundamental difference (i.e. championship contention) it means zip.

The true test of this analysis will be what the situation is by the time we play the Twinks later this month. If past performance is any indicator, if the Sox actually have started to put some wins together and raised the hopes of White Sox Nation by closing the gap with Minnesota by a few games, the spectre of the series actually meaning something will put the winning trend in the tank and we'll lose 4 or 5 out of 6. I wish it were not so....

Chisox353014
06-09-2003, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by lowesox

I hope Im wrong.

Yes, this is usually the point where we have about a 10-2 loss while making 4 errors and generally resembling a Little League team. If we actually get a win Tuesday and take 4 or 5 from the Giants and Padres, maybe I'll start to think we're coming around.

pudge
06-09-2003, 05:08 PM
It's a sign of immaturity to start getting excited about this lost season. Remember, the Twins have one of the easiest schedules in MLB.

Foulke You
06-09-2003, 07:22 PM
If a turnaround is to happen I believe the key is Paul Konerko. Not DHing Jimenez or putting Daubach in full time. Paulie is THE guy who simply must get going if we are to be competitive in this division race. It is great to see Frank pour it on opposing pitchers and putting the fear of God in opposing managers but we really need the Paulie from last year to step up to the plate and get hot and put another heavy stick in that lineup to generate run production. I'm sorry, the Konerko we've seen from '99-'02 will have to show his face sooner or later. He's got too much hitting talent to be putting up Royce Clayton like numbers. I know a lot of Sox fans have given up on Paulie but I don't think we've seen the last of him. I refuse to believe his skills have suddenly eroded or that pitchers have suddenly "figured him out" after 4 solid years.