PDA

View Full Version : Frank Thomas...Wow

MRKARNO
06-08-2003, 10:17 PM
Everything about him is much better lately. His OBP is .426 and his OPS is nearing 1.000. The thing is, that those numbers are going to get a lot better if he can keep up what he's doing right now

Meixner007
06-08-2003, 10:20 PM
as long as he stays at first.

MRKARNO
06-08-2003, 10:32 PM
I personally want to see frank at first in every game for the rest of the season, but would be OK with him at first for every game he's in. Konerko will have to DH because Manuel must do what's best for the team

konerkopeachy
06-08-2003, 10:37 PM
since when does Jerry do "what's best" for the team?

Nellie_Fox
06-08-2003, 10:45 PM
I didn't get to see today's game, but I see from the box score that Frank continues to set the world on fire since moving back to first.

In last night's game, was the swing he put on that home run about as quick a swing as we've seen from the big man for some time?

MHOUSE
06-09-2003, 01:14 AM
Once he started getting the nod at first, Frank has slowing began getting his numbers up and last couple games has picked up a head of steam. He's really tearing it up. If JM has any brains he'll keep playing him at first. I guess it's always been like this historically, why did we ever stop? DH Konerko, Frank at first.

xil357
06-09-2003, 07:38 AM
Originally posted by MHOUSE
DH Konerko, Frank at first.

I totally agree with keeping Frank at first as long as he continues to produce offensively, and his track record has been upheld in his latest stint at 1B.

However, isn't the idea of the DH to add a potent bat to the lineup? Konerko has been hitting as if he's a pitcher lately, really since the All Star Break last season. Because he has been the other bright spot in the lineup, move Angelo Jiminez to DH becuase he hasn't earned the right to use the "D" in his name, and bring up Aaron Miles to play 2B. Put Konerko on the DL to get healthy (physical or mental, who knows?) and make room for Miles on the roster.

Kilroy
06-09-2003, 07:58 AM
Originally posted by xil357
I totally agree with keeping Frank at first as long as he continues to produce offensively, and his track record has been upheld in his latest stint at 1B.

However, isn't the idea of the DH to add a potent bat to the lineup? Konerko has been hitting as if he's a pitcher lately, really since the All Star Break last season. Because he has been the other bright spot in the lineup, move Angelo Jiminez to DH becuase he hasn't earned the right to use the "D" in his name, and bring up Aaron Miles to play 2B. Put Konerko on the DL to get healthy (physical or mental, who knows?) and make room for Miles on the roster.

Naah. If you're not gonna DH Konerko, then Daubach, who has been hitting ML pitching, will do just fine. Don't bring me a kid out of the minors for his D who's gonna be a hole in the batting order when he gets his first look at ML pitching. We already got holes up here.

hold2dibber
06-09-2003, 08:15 AM
Originally posted by Kilroy
Naah. If you're not gonna DH Konerko, then Daubach, who has been hitting ML pitching, will do just fine. Don't bring me a kid out of the minors for his D who's gonna be a hole in the batting order when he gets his first look at ML pitching. We already got holes up here.

Daubach should, at the very least, be starting at DH against right handed pitchers. See if you can get him going a little bit. Get PK a few starts a week against lefties, but give Daubach most of the PT unless/until he proves himself unworthy. Another nice thing about Daubach is he gives the team another left handed bat in the line-up, which they need.

MRKARNO
06-09-2003, 08:21 AM
I honestly dont think Konerko should be on the team's 25 man roster. Move him to AAA, because that's how he's playing. Call up Miles or Brumbaugh for a DH

Hangar18
06-09-2003, 08:26 AM
All I know is, he had a look to him while he was working out
at Dodger Stadium. He DEFINITELY looked like he was on a mission ..........Was also cool to see him give a nod to the tons of sox fans he saw in the stands before the game. I think we fired him/them up

xil357
06-09-2003, 08:38 AM

I'm inclined to agree with Phil Rogers' assessment of Miles, because of his D and because he seems to infect whatever team he is on with winning.

Originally posted by hold2dibber
Daubach should, at the very least, be starting at DH against right handed pitchers. See if you can get him going a little bit. Get PK a few starts a week against lefties, but give Daubach most of the PT unless/until he proves himself unworthy. Another nice thing about Daubach is he gives the team another left handed bat in the line-up, which they need.

I don't necessarily disagree with using Daubach at DH against righties, although to date he hasn't produced worth a dang.

Could Miles be platooned with Jiminez at 2B, with Jiminez and Daubach platooning at DH?

Originally posted by MRKARNO
I honestly dont think Konerko should be on the team's 25 man roster. Move him to AAA, because that's how he's playing. Call up Miles or Brumbaugh for a DH

Can Konerko be sent down for reasons other than a rehab assignment after a stint on the DL?

gosox41
06-09-2003, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by Hangar18
All I know is, he had a look to him while he was working out
at Dodger Stadium. He DEFINITELY looked like he was on a mission ..........Was also cool to see him give a nod to the tons of sox fans he saw in the stands before the game. I think we fired him/them up

Maybe Frank was showcasing himself to Danny Evans. He can be a free agent after this season and wants to cash in.

Bob

Randar68
06-09-2003, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by xil357
Can Konerko be sent down for reasons other than a rehab assignment after a stint on the DL?

no

moochpuppy
06-09-2003, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
his OPS is nearing 1.000.

1.462 for the month of June thus far.

I think the time to trade Konehead has come. We have so many players that can play first base and have better numbers. Konerko has never shown he can play good baseball for a full season. Changes have to be made.

gosox41
06-09-2003, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by moochpuppy

I think the time to trade Konehead has come. We have so many players that can play first base and have better numbers. Konerko has never shown he can play good baseball for a full season. Changes have to be made.

That's much easier said then done. Nobody wants this guy the way he's playing right now. He's overpaid based on what he did the last few seasons.

I'd give Konerko away just to free up salary. Sigining him for as much money as the Sox did was a big mistake.

Bob

Nellie_Fox
06-10-2003, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by gosox41
That's much easier said then done. Nobody wants this guy the way he's playing right now. He's overpaid based on what he did the last few seasons.

I'd give Konerko away just to free up salary. Sigining him for as much money as the Sox did was a big mistake. I guarantee that any team that took Konerko off the Sox' hands right now would want them to pay a big chunk of his salary as well.

CLR01
06-10-2003, 06:34 AM
I wonder where Bc2k has been?

Kilroy
06-10-2003, 06:45 AM
Originally posted by CLR01

Can't show your face when every word you've ever said could be thrown back at you. He'll show as soon as he thinks he can rip Thomas again...

Jjav829
06-10-2003, 07:59 AM
Originally posted by CLR01

He seems to only post while he is on campus. He disappeared for a month around Christmas/break time. He'll probably show up again come late August/early September.

hold2dibber
06-10-2003, 08:14 AM
Originally posted by moochpuppy

Konerko is untradeable right now. First, his value is at an all time low. As a basic premise, its not a good idea to trade players when their value is at an all time low. Second, because of the big contract he signed in the off season, anyone accepting him in a trade would require the Sox to pay a big chunk of his salary. So, in summary, the Sox wouldn't be able to get anything of value for him and they'd still have to pay him. Thus, trading him now would be crazy.

Plus, the fact remains that despite the fact that he has been in a HORRIBLE 50 game slump, we all know that Paul Konerko is a better hitter than this. He isn't Jason Giambi or Vlad Guererro, but he is still in his prime, and he has been, over his career, a solid 25 HR, 90 RBI, .285 AVG kind of guy. He probably won't approach those numbers this year because his slump has been so long and so pronounced, but I still think he's going to come around and provide some punch.

PaleHoseGeorge
06-10-2003, 08:39 AM
If what we've been led to believe is true, and Paul Konerko's problems center around a degenerative hip condition, I can tell you with 100 percent certainty that his trade value will never be HIGHER than it is right now. There is no turning back. He's through.

The Sox are going to eat every bit of his salary. Even if another team takes a flyer, the Sox will need to kick in most of Konerko's salary.

Look no further than the case of Albert Belle to see how quick and devastating such a condition truly is to a major league hitter. The only question now is how stubborn will the Sox be by keeping Konerko around, just so they don't have to admit what fools they were to offer him such a fat long-term contract. In other words, how much more damage in the loss column will the Sox accept by keeping dead wood on the 25-man roster?

Kilroy
06-10-2003, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
If what we've been led to believe is true, and Paul Konerko's problems center around a degenerative hip condition, I can tell you with 100 percent certainty that his trade value will never be HIGHER than it is right now. There is no turning back. He's through.

The Sox are going to eat every bit of his salary. Even if another team takes a flyer, the Sox will need to kick in most of Konerko's salary.

Look no further than the case of Albert Belle to see how quick and devastating such a condition truly is to a major league hitter. The only question now is how stubborn will the Sox be by keeping Konerko around, just so they don't have to admit what fools they were to offer him such a fat long-term contract. In other words, how much more damage in the loss column will the Sox accept by keeping dead wood on the 25-man roster?

If this is true, why not just DL him and work towards getting the insurance to pay the rest of his contract and be done with it?

If he's unable to perform due to injury, the claim is legit.

gosox41
06-10-2003, 09:31 AM
If this is true, why not just DL him and work towards getting the insurance to pay the rest of his contract and be done with it?

If he's unable to perform due to injury, the claim is legit.

Insurance companies are cutting back on the risk they'll take. His hip may be a preexisting condition. In the case of Thome's contract with Phi., it's insured in case of career threatening injury but the insurance won't cover any back injury because of his history of back problems.

Bob

hold2dibber
06-10-2003, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge

I agree with everything you've said, conditioned upon Konerko actually haveing such an injury. I, for one, am not convinced (yet) that Konerko has a degenerative hip condition. To my knowledge, neither the Sox nor Konerko, nor any mainstream media outlet, has reported any such condition. I've seen it posted here (by persons I do consider to be generally reliable) but I'm still not entirely convinced.