PDA

View Full Version : L.A. Roadtrip, and other sordid details...

Hangar18
06-08-2003, 10:10 PM
I just got back, it was Totally Excellent to hang out and have a few beers with our West Coast Brothers..... Friday Nite, we totally took over the Grand Ave Bar, it was a huge success.
I estimate that we had over 20 of us there to meet. Was
weird to introduce ourselves according to our nickname.

Sox Fans from WSI, Soxnet, and the WhiteSox message boards showed up. One guy Mike From Sacramento, was in town on business and decided to catch the game. He said he went
online for the heck of it, and saw there was a SoxParty in the same hotel he was staying at!!

He came on down and there we were. Almost got into a
brawl out in the bleachers, Dodgers fans can be a bit crude,
but once you get to talking to them, they mellow out. Got to talk to BlackJack when I got out to SanDiego, small world, he lives in the Same Neighborhood as my friend out there!
Friday nite was a blast, and esp Saturday Nite. When
Thomas hit that Homer, Dodger Stadium went up for grabs with us Sox Fans...that ALONE was worth travelling 2000 miles for. I have so many stories to tell from out there, and was
excellent to meet ChisoxCali, ChiSoxfan, Longshot and the
other west coast brothers.
I personally have to apologize for forgetting everyone elses
names who where there. I even got to spread the WSI word
to some SOXFans who were at the game also.
Farmer Andy his bud Shane and a group I knew in SanDiego actually were able to catch the last innings of the SoxDbacks game out there in SD. was cool to drink a beer on the Ocean, and see the sox on a tv from AZ.
I saw a cub fan in a bar in Pacific Beach, so I of course
gave him the business. Farmer Andy and us partied pretty hard
in SD, then we drove up to LA in the morning.

I was eating breakfast Fri AM in Carlsbad CA on the coast,
and Ike Turner walks in with a group to eat. He said hello
to me. Andy has the best story....My friend Candace and
I met Andrew and his bud for lunch in West Hollywood.
Pretty much like our LIncoln Pk/Lakeview area here. lot of beautiful people and musicians walking around.
We finished and left for downtown again (traffic in LA SUCKS,
all the rumors and jokes are true) when they saw Maggs
and his wife right across the street right there in Hollywood!!

We just passed Andrew and Shane on Sunset Blvd, when I yelled out to my right at them "LETS GO WHITE SOX" and they of course yelled back at me. They walk across the street and theres MAGGS waiting for a Taxi! He got the pics too! I was pissed
that I didnt get that Kodak moment w Maggs. how funny was that.

Hangar18
06-08-2003, 10:14 PM
Seeing Thomas working out in Dodger Stadium, he looked
like a bad-ass. very cool to see. Andrew and I were
watching the Sox warming up, when Valentin and Jimenez
were walking back from the field. Jimenez yells at me to
turn around, they wanted to see what name I had on my "22" black sox jersey. I turned around, and of course it was my
name on the back, not Valenting, and they cracked up.
Nice Light moment there. Mansoo Lee also gave me a ball
to take back for my nephew. Rios walked over and chatted with us also, and took a pic. Said it was nice to see all the Sox
Fans in attendance.

longshot7
06-08-2003, 11:56 PM
I'd like to echo those sentiments.... very cool having all the Sox fans out to support the team out here.

the best thing was on Sat nite - we had Cubs fans behind us rooting for the Sox (guess they were missing home) and together we built a real rowdy cheering section - got so much crap thrown at us. I was personally surprised to see all the Sox fans in attendance. I've had Dodger season tix for a few years and the teams that usually draw well are the Cubs, Mets, Braves, etc. But the Sox had a bigger contingent than those teams and way more than the last times I've seen them in Anaheim.

Let me know if anyone's coming out for the series in Anaheim in August.

sox_fan_forever
06-08-2003, 11:59 PM
It sounds like you guys had a lot of fun! I wish I could have been there. Maybe someday. :smile:

DrCrawdad
06-09-2003, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Seeing Thomas working out in Dodger Stadium, he looked
like a bad-ass. very cool to see. Andrew and I were
watching the Sox warming up, when Valentin and Jimenez
were walking back from the field. Jimenez yells at me to
turn around, they wanted to see what name I had on my "22" black sox jersey. I turned around, and of course it was my
name on the back, not Valenting, and they cracked up.
Nice Light moment there. Mansoo Lee also gave me a ball
to take back for my nephew. Rios walked over and chatted with us also, and took a pic. Said it was nice to see all the Sox
Fans in attendance.

Sunday it sure seemed as though there were a lot of Sox fans in attendance.

Chisoxfn
06-09-2003, 04:03 AM
It was a definate blast. Very cool meeting Hangar, and Longshot, Cali, Farmer Andy and everyone else.

Saturday's game made it all worth it. I may be nuts, but I'm thinking we all started some fire in the Sox and they are going to get rolling.

It was great seeing Frank looking like his Hall of Fame self while Crede got into a grove on Friday and Saturday.

It was a definate blast. Great baseball was played and got to meet some great Sox fans.

Next up Anaheim and I'll definately be there.

Chisox_cali
06-09-2003, 05:59 AM
Good Times all around this weekend, it was great meeting all these people, and I may have to make that trip out to Anahiem, even though I hate all those OC kids :smile: Though in Anaheim, I won't have Samuel the Shoe Shine there :gulp: That guy friggin ROCKED!!

Hangar18
06-09-2003, 02:08 PM
I already miss it out there....

A.T. Money
06-09-2003, 02:46 PM
I already miss it out there....

I know what you mean. Dodger Stadium is a cool place. But it lacks the overall atmosphere of a Sox game.

MRKARNO
06-09-2003, 08:36 PM
The highest section at dodger stadium looks on TV to be MUCH higher than the highest seats at the Cell. Can anybody who's been there confirm or deny that for me?

LauraJ14
06-09-2003, 09:27 PM
Had a good time in LA this weekend going to all 3 games.
Had seats down the right field line for Friday and Sunday where there were a good number of Sox fans. Some rowdy ones on Friday were chanting for Jose and Mags and getting lots of weird looks from Dodgers fans. Dodger fans like to do the wave alot and boo when their beach balls are taken away. Other than that they aren't really into the game unless LoDuca or Shawn Green are up to bat or Eric Gagne comes into the game.
Saturday's game my sister and I got to sit in a suite which was awesome. Saw Kenny Williams up there and was very nice to him, not rude comments about what a fine job he is doing.
My sister's friend got us the suite tickets and her son got Frank Thomas's autograph before the game so he is now a big Frank Thomas fan.
And the food is still better at the Cell!!!

Hangar18
06-09-2003, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
The highest section at dodger stadium looks on TV to be MUCH higher than the highest seats at the Cell. Can anybody who's been there confirm or deny that for me?

I sat on the 1B side there, and for a quick minute, the seats
look higher...but I dont think they are. What makes a HUGE difference, is that they dont have 3 ridiculous levels of skyboxes
to make the pitch of the stands seem way high.
That stadium looks as if Comiskey totally copied it. Our seats are higher by far, except that the little auxiliary deck they have only behind home is probably higher.

Hangar18
06-09-2003, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by LauraJ14
Had a good time in LA this weekend going to all 3 games.
Had seats down the right field line for Friday and Sunday where there were a good number of Sox fans. Some rowdy ones on Friday were chanting for Jose and Mags and getting lots of weird looks from Dodgers fans. Dodger fans like to do the wave alot and boo when their beach balls are taken away. Other than that they aren't really into the game unless LoDuca or Shawn Green are up to bat or Eric Gagne comes into the game.
Saturday's game my sister and I got to sit in a suite which was awesome. Saw Kenny Williams up there and was very nice to him, not rude comments about what a fine job he is doing.
My sister's friend got us the suite tickets and her son got Frank Thomas's autograph before the game so he is now a big Frank Thomas fan.
And the food is still better at the Cell!!!

You were on the First Base Side too? How did you not see us?
there were a at least 10 of us from WSI sitting by each other.

LauraJ14
06-10-2003, 12:12 PM
Iwas in section 48 on Friday and 50 on Sunday.

Hangar18
06-10-2003, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by LauraJ14
Iwas in section 48 on Friday and 50 on Sunday.

Sections 48 and 50 also for us. Our tix said 52, but we moved
closer. ChiSoxCali and ChiSoxFan were one section closer
to us, Farmer Andy and Shane sat with us also. Cant
believe we didnt see you. Hey, were you the girl with the
Black Thomas Jersey, brunette, that had the mini Sox Flag?

FarmerAndy
06-10-2003, 12:56 PM
Finally back to the computer today. I took yesterday off to recover from the trip.

It was total blast hanging with all of you L.A. area Sox fans. I met some really cool people. We definately need to do this again!

It was a total trip to see Magglio hanging out on the street in Hollywood too! You took off just a few seconds too soon, Hangar18. I'll post the picture when I get it back.

Hangar18
06-10-2003, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by FarmerAndy
Finally back to the computer today. I took yesterday off to recover from the trip.

It was total blast hanging with all of you L.A. area Sox fans. I met some really cool people. We definately need to do this again!

It was a total trip to see Magglio hanging out on the street in Hollywood too! You took off just a few seconds too soon, Hangar18. I'll post the picture when I get it back.

Thats OK, I had breakfast with Ike Turner !

Procol Harum
06-10-2003, 01:17 PM
Thats OK, I had breakfast with Ike Turner !

Glad he didn't slap you around in between bites of your hash browns.... :D:

Hangar18
06-10-2003, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by Procol Harum
Glad he didn't slap you around in between bites of your hash browns.... :D:

Im still kind of trippin' about that. The guy sat right next to
me for Breakfast, turns to me and says "how you doin' "

Hangar18
06-12-2003, 10:46 AM
When we were at the game, Sox Fans noticed the Frightening
Old lady playing the Organ. The Organ in that stadium sounds
Chilling, like your in some Medieval Castle. Then, when the
7th inning stretch comes up, they invite everyone to Stand and
sing-along, which sounds pretty standard. Except they turn
this camera on this Haunting Old Lady, behind this giant Organ.
The white room shes in looks Very Cramped, as if it had just
enough room to slide a chair for the lady. She plays Take-Me
Out-To-The-Ballgame, but her arms arent moving!! And shes
got a chillling, cold, expressionless look on her face as She Stares
DIRECTLY into the Camera. This is shown on the big Jumbotron
in the outfield. Man, It was the most Disturbing 7th inn
ive ever seen/heard.

FarmerAndy
06-12-2003, 12:56 PM
When we were at the game, Sox Fans noticed the Frightening
Old lady playing the Organ. The Organ in that stadium sounds
Chilling, like your in some Medieval Castle. Then, when the
7th inning stretch comes up, they invite everyone to Stand and
sing-along, which sounds pretty standard. Except they turn
this camera on this Haunting Old Lady, behind this giant Organ.
The white room shes in looks Very Cramped, as if it had just
enough room to slide a chair for the lady. She plays Take-Me
Out-To-The-Ballgame, but her arms arent moving!! And shes
got a chillling, cold, expressionless look on her face as She Stares
DIRECTLY into the Camera. This is shown on the big Jumbotron
in the outfield. Man, It was the most Disturbing 7th inn
ive ever seen/heard.

You aren't kidding. That was just plain creepy.