PDA

View Full Version : Yankees Question

Viva Magglio
06-08-2003, 08:01 PM
Think the Boss will whack Torre after this cataclysmic debacle? I actually debated whether or not I should post this question in teal for two reasons: 1) Steinbrenner is waging an anti-Torre PR campaign in New York, 2) Steinbrenner has a history of having an itchy trigger finger.

Meixner007
06-08-2003, 08:05 PM
If you think about it, they're going through the same thing in New York as we are here...an underachieving team not performing up to expectations. The difference is they have won multiple world series under Torre. The sox have won multiple .500 seasons under manuel. I think his job is safe for now.

MRKARNO
06-08-2003, 08:06 PM
Considering that the Yankees are out of first with a loss, I would have to say that Torre's gone pretty soon

Viva Magglio
06-08-2003, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
Considering that the Yankees are out of first with a loss, I would have to say that Torre's gone pretty soon

In 1978, Steinbrenner got rid of Billy Martin when the Yankees were behind the Red Sox and replaced him with Bob Lemon whom we fired earlier in the year. But I think that Yankee team was in far worse shape at the time than this one is now.

1951Campbell
06-08-2003, 08:08 PM
No way Torre goes.

Jjav829
06-09-2003, 08:01 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if he gets the axe today. The Boss is getting pissed and when he gets pissed, heads roll. While Steinbrenner is getting upset about not winning a World Series in a whole 2 years, Reinsdorf is sitting waiting for the fans to show up. Pretty damn pathetic.

Paulwny
06-09-2003, 11:54 AM
Torre is still a big fan favorite. I think George will push hoping Torre will quit.
He's started by insisting on the Contreras move to the starting rotation and the demotion of Weaver. With Weaver's last 2 bad outings and Wells back , Weavers' now in the pen
The latest rumor is that last year the yank brass wanted to make Jeter the captain and the idea was nixed by Torre. This year they never consulted Torre and made the move.
Next King George will fire one or more coaches, the batting coach is a good possibility.