PDA

View Full Version : Why are the Cardinals popular among us Sox fans?

Viva Magglio
06-08-2003, 07:46 PM
When I conducted a poll asking you what our favorite National League team is, besides "whoever is playing the Cubs," the St. Louis Cardinals won in an apparent landslide. I voted the Cardinals in that poll, and there are several reasons why I like them. What are your reasons?

MRKARNO
06-08-2003, 07:57 PM
You need to post an "all of the above" and a "many of the above"

Viva Magglio
06-08-2003, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
You need to post an "all of the above" and a "many of the above"

Good idea, MRKARNO. Daver, can you so edit? Thanks!

Meixner007
06-08-2003, 07:59 PM
I would say it's a combination of 2 things. One they hate the Cubs just as much as we do, and two they are smart fans. They employee one of, if not the smartest manager in the game. The understand what's going on in the game of baseball, and they have a passion for their team, not their ballpark. Also that closely resembles us, as sox fans, minus the intelligent manager part.

Viva Magglio
06-08-2003, 08:03 PM
My reasons for liking the Cardinals are several of the above including great city to visit, Cubs' archrival, and KMOX. Also, Albert Pujols has been amazing to watch.

sox_fan_forever
06-08-2003, 08:08 PM
I used to not like the Cardinals, but I've since decided I do because they dislike the Cubs as much as us.

whitesoxwilkes
06-08-2003, 08:12 PM
I'm not a hardcore Cards fan, but definitely have an interest in them. I'd pick all of the reasons that Viva listed with the exception of "ST Looie is a great city to visit." St Louisians are for the most part racist and horribly self-righteous.

1951Campbell
06-08-2003, 08:14 PM
Tie between archrival and the 24 oz. beers. After four years in Boston, the thought of 8 oz. beers for $4--and they only sell light beer--and no beer vendors, you have to get up--makes me angry.

BTW, I will vote Fenway in a "worst MLB food and drink" poll hands down. Runner up for worst--the Vet. They do not sell salted in the shell peanuts at the Vet. That is just wrong on so many levels. Miller Park, the Cell, and PacBell rule.

Maybe I've rambled, but now I'm hungry...

whitesoxwilkes
06-08-2003, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by 1951Campbell

BTW, I will vote Fenway in a "worst MLB food and drink" poll hands down. Runner up for worst--the Vet.

I'd put it as a 3 way tie between Fenway, the Vet and Wrigley.

Can I add that believe it or not, the best hot dog I ever ate at a ballpark was at Olympic Stadium?

1951Campbell
06-08-2003, 08:16 PM
St Louisians are for the most part racist and horribly self-righteous.

Obviously you've never been to Boston. Oy vey, they are the worst.

Bisco Stu
06-08-2003, 08:18 PM
Don't ask me. The only reason I ever went to StL was to see concerts when I went to SIU (Rush, Deep Purple, etc.) Cards fans always remind me of Nebraska fans, their only concerns are their team and jesus. Maybe it's the red. METS are my team, give me NY: intellectual, contradictory, angry, jaded, etc. But definitely not a bunch of clones.

1951Campbell
06-08-2003, 08:20 PM
Can I add that believe it or not, the best hot dog I ever ate at a ballpark was at Olympic Stadium?

Another good thing about L'Oympique...the giveaways. My roommate took a trip up there, and she said she bought $6 tickets, they were giving away free wine and cheese, and she Comiskey upgraded to first row, third base side due to the fact that there were, of course, only about 6,000 people there. Hard to beat.

whitesoxwilkes
06-08-2003, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by Bisco Stu
[B] Cards fans always remind me of Nebraska fans, their only concerns are their team and jesus. B]

Ha ha ha ha ha ha!!! You just hit the nail on the head.

pearso66
06-08-2003, 10:52 PM
I am a Cardinal fan mostly because my mom's family is from St. Louis. They grew up Cardinal fans, and when they moved to Chicago, they needed to find a team to root for and since they already hated the Cubs, they chose the Sox. This is why I'm a Sox fan.

I also like them because they hate the Cubs just as much as us.

vegyrex
06-08-2003, 11:36 PM
I worked with a guy who was a Cardinals fans and a Sox Fan. He loved the Cardinals first, and the Sox second. And yes, he hated the Cubs almost as much as I do. :D:

thezeker
06-08-2003, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by Meixner007
I would say it's a combination of 2 things. One they hate the Cubs just as much as we do, and two they are smart fans. They employee one of, if not the smartest manager in the game. The understand what's going on in the game of baseball, and they have a passion for their team, not their ballpark. Also that closely resembles us, as sox fans, minus the intelligent manager part.

One big difference though. They draw between 2.5 to 3 million fans a year from a metro area not even 1/3 the size of ours. Their fans actually go to the ballpark and support their team. Isn't that a novel idea?

fquaye149
06-08-2003, 11:55 PM
i would have answered

"because mcgwire no longer plays for them"

but that was not a choice, so i chose the first one

vegyrex
06-09-2003, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by 1951Campbell

Obviously you've never been to Boston. Oy vey, they are the worst.

When I lived in Boston I don't think I ever heard the "N" word used as much as it was there. I worked at a Marriott hotel just outside of Boston and when the security department hired a black guy. Well, that really caused a stir in that department. The "N" word got used a lot that day. It surprised me. It's not like that hotel didn't have black people working there already. 90% of the housekeeping staff was from Haiti.

Oy vey is right.

AngelLeroy
06-09-2003, 02:10 AM
My main reason is because they're the Cubs archrivals (besides us), but secondary is because I need a team to cheer on in the playoffs... :(:

Viva Magglio
06-09-2003, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by thezeker
One big difference though. They draw between 2.5 to 3 million fans a year from a metro area not even 1/3 the size of ours. Their fans actually go to the ballpark and support their team. Isn't that a novel idea?

I think two big factors explain that. First of all, Busch Stadium is located in Downtown St. Louis making it withing walking distance from the hotels. Two, the Cardinals ownership of Bill DeWitt Jr. & Co. have not engaged in a series of moves that have ailenated the fan base.

soxrme
06-09-2003, 11:25 AM
One of the best uniforms in baseball, and always a competitive teams.

A.T. Money
06-09-2003, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by soxrme
One of the best uniforms in baseball, and always a competitive teams.

The Cards unforms are cool, no doubt.

maurice
06-09-2003, 01:05 PM
I went to the game in St. Louis Thursday. No question, it's the shared hatred of all things cubbie. For folks in downstate IL, it's also a matter of geography.

Procol Harum
06-09-2003, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by thezeker

Not quite an accurate comparison. The Redbirds draw from a much wider geographic fanbase than the Sox (basically, part of the Chicago area, NW Indiana, and bits and specks along the coast in SW Michigan) in that they are basically the state team of Missouri, have a lot of fans in Arkansas, Kansas and Oklahoma, as well as downstate Illinois. As I've mentioned in previous posts, they also have a long-time heritage (going back to the days of 16 teams) as the unofficial team of the South (part of it as folks would root for Southern boys like Hornsby, Pepper Martin, the Dean boys, Enos Slaughter, etc.).

Chisox353014
06-09-2003, 02:42 PM
It's simple really: "the enemy of my enemy is my friend". On their own, I don't like Cardinals' fans much, but the fact that they fill up 1/3 of Wrigley during Flubs-Cards series is pretty cool. I actually like the Astros way more than St. Louis.

Hangar18
06-09-2003, 03:35 PM
The Enemy of My Enemy is My Friend