PDA

View Full Version : *Official* Game Day Thread 6-08-03 White Sox at Dodgers

Jjav829
06-08-2003, 04:06 PM
Use this thread and only this thread if you must post a comment about tonight's game. All other threads will be deleted! Otherwise, please join us in the WSI chat room (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/chat.php?s=) for a discussion of tonight's game.

Esteban Loaiza faces Odalis Perez as the Sox look to do the unthinkable and win a series against the Dodgers.

doublem23
06-08-2003, 04:35 PM
Inside the park homer to the catcher?

Oh dear.

EDIT: Not a good call giving Maggs an error there, IMO, but it keeps the ERA down.

LuvSox
06-08-2003, 04:39 PM
I like the way the Sox look in the '59 throwback jerseys today. ***? Some positive press wouldn't hurt this team, why not take advantage of the series in L.A.? FUMBLE!

fquaye149
06-08-2003, 05:04 PM
bases loaded, 0 outs, maggs up
now we'll see whether we can turn the corner....

well a single is better than a double play

fquaye149
06-08-2003, 05:08 PM
oh well...i guess carlos took care of that for us

PaleHoseGeorge
06-08-2003, 05:10 PM
If oooooonly Carlos Lee played better defense, that double-play that ****ed up our huge fourth inning rally wouldn't have happened!

Fridaythe13thJason
06-08-2003, 05:27 PM
Oooh, maybe I really did attend that "turnaround game" we've all been waiting for. This is fun again.

thecell
06-08-2003, 05:28 PM
Where are the real White Sox and what have they done to them?

voodoochile
06-08-2003, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
If oooooonly Carlos Lee played better defense, that double-play that ****ed up our huge fourth inning rally wouldn't have happened!

It wasn't pretty, but at least it tied the score. Could have been worse, no?

GO SOX!!!

Fridaythe13thJason
06-08-2003, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by thecell
Where are the real White Sox and what have they done to them?

These are the real Sox...or at least the ones we expected to be here. They just haven't played in any games except yesterday and today.

SoxxoS
06-08-2003, 05:37 PM
Who are these guys and where are the real White Sox?

Goes to show you what Frank being on fire can do to a team. Konerko was a huge problem to our early failures. HUGE. Not only was he horrible, that is one guy you counted on to be even BETTER than last year. What a joke.

Thomas, Crede, Mags and Daubach are coming around.

LuvSox
06-08-2003, 05:45 PM
Frank is on FIRE! Guess we should trade, right Frank haters?

MRKARNO
06-08-2003, 05:50 PM
Like I said before, the key to this team getting better is Frank hitting well. If the rest of the people on the team contribute to a reasonable degree, we're gonna win a lot of games because we have one of the better Rotations in the league. The starting has been fantastic this year and if we are now able to score 5+ runs a game, expect a lot of wins

valposoxfan
06-08-2003, 06:05 PM
The Sox look a lot better it is true. A series win in L.A. is pretty big and makes me feel better. I'm not getting my hopes up just yet though. They haven't done enough to convince me at all that they are coming around. However, a nice five or six game winning streak and the pitching continuing to dominate will make me feel more and more confident. But for now I'm just taking it easy...

duke of dorwood
06-08-2003, 06:12 PM
At last, a pleasant game to watch

MRKARNO
06-08-2003, 06:13 PM
That's a Snellius family donation

I dont even think that TOm Gordon could give up this kind of a lead

Bucktown
06-08-2003, 06:26 PM
Don't look now, but big Frank has the hottest at around and he has taken the BA lead on this team. Dave Wills was talking abut how this team could take a run. If the pitching stays solid and the Maggs, Lee and Frank hit well this team could real off 7 or 8 in a row.

Two in a row is a start.

LuvSox
06-08-2003, 06:29 PM
Where does Hawk dissapear to during the games? Does his contract state he only does 8 innings? Is he out betting on something? I'm not complaining, just wondering.

voodoochile
06-08-2003, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by Bucktown
Don't look now, but big Frank has the hottest at around and he has taken the BA lead on this team. Dave Wills was talking abut how this team could take a run. If the pitching stays solid and the Maggs, Lee and Frank hit well this team could real off 7 or 8 in a row.

Two in a row is a start.

One step at a time. I'm just glad they are showing signs of life. There has been more hustle these past two days than the whole rest of the season. Guys are hitting the ball the other way, diving for grounders and flyballs, sliding hard and playing like a team. They are even having a bit of fun from the looks of things.

This is the team most of us thought we were getting all year long. Hopefully they can keep it going...

Daver
06-08-2003, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by LuvSox
Where does Hawk dissapear to during the games? Does his contract state he only does 8 innings? Is he out betting on something? I'm not complaining, just wondering.

He's on the phone arranging his golf schedule.

:)

fquaye149
06-08-2003, 06:44 PM
why did frank get pulled? he isn't hurt is he?

Iguana775
06-08-2003, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by fquaye149
why did frank get pulled? he isn't hurt is he?

Defensive replacement, I assume.

Lip Man 1
06-08-2003, 07:27 PM
Do you realize this is only the 3rd time this season the Sox have scored 10 or more runs in a game!

Last time it happened was April 19th.

Lip

MRKARNO
06-08-2003, 08:04 PM
Speaking of Hawk, Fox Sports Radio broadcaster Bruce Jacobs (670 after J-hood), called Hawk the worst broadcaster in baseball

jeremyb1
06-08-2003, 08:33 PM
i'm aware of the value of being cautious at this point but i don't care. i'm close to ready to predicting a playoff birth after seeing this team hit the last two days. its only a few games but at no point this season have we looked nearly this good. we've been scoring 2 or 3 runs against guys like mike maroth and no name guys in their late 20s just called up from AAA. we scored 10 runs against the best pitching team in baseball today. that's incredibly significant. however, its not the results i'm the most pleased with its how good we look. guys look like they're pressing less, that they're willing to hit singles and go the other way.

MRKARNO
06-08-2003, 08:45 PM
if the sox win 8 of 10 counting from thursday, I'll be convinced that this team is still going to compete. Right now we're 3-1 since thursday. Notice that Thomas has homered in each of those wins.

doublem23
06-08-2003, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Do you realize this is only the 3rd time this season the Sox have scored 10 or more runs in a game!

Last time it happened was April 19th.

Lip

Another pearl of wisdom from the king of Depression.

whitesoxwilkes
06-08-2003, 10:03 PM
If we go 2-1 against the Giants and sweep San Diego, we're right back in the hunt. We start stinking up the joint again and this season is pretty much over. I could care less about how creampuff our July schedule is, if we can;t win in June it's useless.

MRKARNO
06-08-2003, 10:37 PM
Our schedule looks like this

3 vs SF
3 vs SD
4 vs Bos
3 @ Cubs
3 @ Twins
3 vs Cubs
3 vs. Twins

If we can indeed take 2 of 3 from SF and 3 from SD, That would be the 8 of 10 that i was talking about earlier. Boston's tough offensively, but the sox can take advantage of fairly weak pitching. The Cubs are the Cubs and previous stats usually dont matter, the Sox almost always break even or do better, expect 3 or 4 wins. Then the Sox get to prove themselves against the twins. The 6 against the twins here could be HUGE in determining how well we do this year. 4 of 6 could mean a comeback. 5 of 6 would be a full turnaround, but after San Diego, our schedule gets TOUGH!!! If we start hitting these better teams' pitching and shutting them down consistantly, I see good things for the sox going into a potentially EASY July

One more note: most of the pitching matchups for the next 6 games look favorable for the Sox. No great pitchers, and two pitchers making one of their first five starts in their careers. Lawrence shouldnt be too bad. Foppert we might need to worry about. Rueter we should be somewhat worried about

kermittheefrog
06-08-2003, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
i'm aware of the value of being cautious at this point but i don't care. i'm close to ready to predicting a playoff birth after seeing this team hit the last two days. its only a few games but at no point this season have we looked nearly this good. we've been scoring 2 or 3 runs against guys like mike maroth and no name guys in their late 20s just called up from AAA. we scored 10 runs against the best pitching team in baseball today. that's incredibly significant. however, its not the results i'm the most pleased with its how good we look. guys look like they're pressing less, that they're willing to hit singles and go the other way.

We also scored a lot of runs against the best team in baseball at preventing runs. Thats something to be proud of.