PDA

View Full Version : Anone read Phil Rogers' article today?

gosox41
06-08-2003, 02:07 PM
He was talking about something I've been commenting on for the last couple of weeks here: the trade market.

Top sum it up, the economy of baseball has changed and more teams are looking to dump salary come the July 31 deadline and not add payroll. He made refernce to last years June 10th trade of Bartolo Colon. IMHO, CLE got a lot in return for Colon, more then the Expos got form the Sox/Yankees.

Advice to KW:

It's time to sell high. Move Colon and Loiaza now. Colon is too expensive to hold onto until July 31 to get another Jon Adkins and Loiaza isn't getting any better. If someone wants PK, dump him for a bucket of s***.

Maybe someone should tell KW how supply/demand effects the trade value of a player.

Looks like KW is already messing things up by standing pat. How can he not shake up such an underacheiving team. This whole 'built to last' idea is a joke. The Sox may be 'built to finish in last.'

Bob

MarkEdward
06-08-2003, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by gosox41
He was talking about something I've been commenting on for the last couple of weeks here: the trade market.

Top sum it up, the economy of baseball has changed and more teams are looking to dump salary come the July 31 deadline and not add payroll. He made refernce to last years June 10th trade of Bartolo Colon. IMHO, CLE got a lot in return for Colon, more then the Expos got form the Sox/Yankees.

For what it's worth, the Indians' GM Mark Shapiro is a very shrewd GM. He has a way of trading little to get a lot (Diaz for Hafner, Branyan for Broussard, the Colon trade). No way could Kenny Williams pull off a deal like Shapiro did with the Expos.

LuvSox
06-08-2003, 02:54 PM
Why don't we KEEP those guys? Colon is great to have around. If this team really is out of it already, Colon is here for next season. He's a great pitcher, sign him.

Paulwny
06-08-2003, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by LuvSox
Why don't we KEEP those guys? Colon is great to have around. If this team really is out of it already, Colon is here for next season. He's a great pitcher, sign him.

Agree, but it's one of the biggest problems, JR's refusal to sign pitchers to long term contracts.

LuvSox
06-08-2003, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by Paulwny
Agree, but it's one of the biggest problems, JR's refusal to sign pitchers to long term contracts.

Yeah, you're right. I should've posted in deep pink.

MRKARNO
06-08-2003, 04:57 PM
I'm all for keeping the team intact. I am against a dismantling and I dont think that KW would do that anyways.

PaleHoseGeorge
06-08-2003, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
I'm all for keeping the team intact. I am against a dismantling and I dont think that KW would do that anyways.

In my lifetime the Sox have never accomplished anything useful--in the long run-- from dismantling the team. The only thing noteworthy that dismantling accomplishes is setting up the NEXT dismantling project 4-6 years down the road. :angry:

:selljerry

xil357
06-09-2003, 07:58 AM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
In my lifetime the Sox have never accomplished anything useful--in the long run-- from dismantling the team. The only thing noteworthy that dismantling accomplishes is setting up the NEXT dismantling project 4-6 years down the road.

Agreed. Re-load around what you have that is good. We have nothing but time with Loaiza on an option for next year. Colon has a proven track record. SIGN HIM NOW while you can or in 2004 you will have to settle for relying on the kids or overpaying for whatever's left over after the Yankees sign all the good free agents in building a 17-man starting rotation. Loaiza and Colon have been two bright spots. Let's hang on to them and not make the starting staff ANOTHER liability for this team.