PDA

View Full Version : Frank in the hall?

fquaye149
06-08-2003, 02:02 AM
what do you think frank needs to do to get elected to the hall?

personally i think a very very strong case could be made that even if he retired today he should be in the hall. i don't think that would happen, realistically, especially with sentiment the way it is....but:

a.) frank was probably the best american league hitter of the nineties

b.) his career avg is well over .300 and his career obp is well over .400

c.) he will have 400 homeruns in the very near future.

d.) he was always a threat to lead the league in avg, rbi's, homeruns, walks, and hits

e.) he swiped 32 bags in his career, 31 more than cecil fielder.

but seriously, what do you guys think he needs to make it?...i would say he needs to reach at least 2500 hits, 450 homeruns and keep his avg and obp where they are to have a shot at it...but that's just as a cynical mediaphobic white sox fan. what do you guys think?

voodoochile
06-08-2003, 03:22 AM
I think he is already in (big shock, I know), but for insurance, I think he merely needs to finish this season strong. If he continues on his present pace, he will have normal Frank Thomas numbers - though his average might be down just a bit.

I think he'll end up pretty close to these numbers, or even higher - .300, 40 2B, 35 HR, 100 RBI, 100 R, 100 BB. The one question mark will be his RBI total, which, of course, will depend on the Sox finding two guys who can actually get on base in front of him. Those numbers are so close to the numbers he posted when everyone was comparing him to Ted Williams that it will end any speculation of him being washed up or over the hill.

I hope he continues to play first, just to shut up all the people who rip on him for being a DH and because it is the best option the Sox have at this point in time. In either case, numbers like that will definitely quiet the critics who talk about his "down years" and ignore the injuries and other problems that confronted him through those lean times. I still get a kick out of people who like to site 2001 as an off year for the big man, ignoring the fact that he missed 75% of the season.

Like I said, I think he already deserves the HOF, but if he has close to a typical Frank season this year, it should be the end of any speculation that he won't make it in...

doublem23
06-08-2003, 03:56 AM
If he has another 2-3 years of .280ish/25-30ish/90-100ish and finishes his career strong, I don't think there's anyway he can't get in...

Unless he starts borrowing bats from Sammy.

jeremyb1
06-08-2003, 06:03 AM
i think i remember hearing recently he's the active leader in on base percentage and in the the top 10 or 15 all time. it'd really be a shame if he didn't make it but it largely depends on the voters and i don't entirely agree with their methods.

oldcomiskey
06-08-2003, 09:57 AM
for frank to get in he HAS to have 500 HRS------you know how ticky the selection comittee is on DH's

whitesoxwilkes
06-08-2003, 10:25 AM
Here's a thought: What if Frank had just walked away from the game after the injury in 2001, when our memories of him would be more about his hitting than his sulking and striking out? Sandy Koufax walked away from the game on his own terms and made it to the HOF without any question.

1951Campbell
06-08-2003, 11:05 AM
Baseballreference.com has Frank as a virtual lock to get in the Hall. He's pretty much an average Hall of Famer. In their "most similar by age" category, he is similar to Hank Greenberg baout half the time. Not bad company. Although he did play in the home run explosion era, how many hitters had the discipline to consistently get an OBP around .450 and still hit around 30 home runs? That's pretty good, IMO. If Big Frank doesn't make it in, it will be the biggest screw job in recent history.

MRKARNO
06-08-2003, 11:37 AM
I think a lot of voters wouldnt be ready to elect him, but I think if he ends up with .300 30-40HRs and 100+ RBIs this year and one more years, he's a lock. Otherwise, I think a lot of voters will have 2002 stuck in their minds.

gosox41
06-08-2003, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by fquaye149
what do you think frank needs to do to get elected to the hall?

personally i think a very very strong case could be made that even if he retired today he should be in the hall. i don't think that would happen, realistically, especially with sentiment the way it is....but:

a.) frank was probably the best american league hitter of the nineties

b.) his career avg is well over .300 and his career obp is well over .400

c.) he will have 400 homeruns in the very near future.

d.) he was always a threat to lead the league in avg, rbi's, homeruns, walks, and hits

e.) he swiped 32 bags in his career, 31 more than cecil fielder.

but seriously, what do you guys think he needs to make it?...i would say he needs to reach at least 2500 hits, 450 homeruns and keep his avg and obp where they are to have a shot at it...but that's just as a cynical mediaphobic white sox fan. what do you guys think?

I think he's already in, but getting 500 HR's would help a lot.

Bob