PDA

View Full Version : Who's on 1st: Frank or Konerko

ChiSox14305635
06-08-2003, 01:07 AM
With The Big Hurt's improved performance at 1st during interleague play, coupled with Konerko's season long slump, prompts the question: Who should be playing 1st?

I say stick with Thomas. His bat has started to come around, including 3/3 tonight with a homer, and his D hasn't been too costly. Maybe if Konerko focuses on his hitting only, he'll get his stroke back. But I say definitely, stick with The Big Hurt.

Kilroy
06-08-2003, 01:16 AM
Originally posted by ChiSox14305635
I say stick with Thomas.

This is a no brainer. If it aint broke, don't **** with it.

Of course, this is JM we're talking about...

MRKARNO
06-08-2003, 01:25 AM
If I see Konerko at first on tuesday, I think I'll puke

pudge
06-08-2003, 01:32 AM
Ya know, it almost makes me wonder if the DH has partly been responsible for Frank's slippage from HOF numbers over the past several years. Good to see him hitting again.

ncfan
06-08-2003, 07:40 AM
Originally posted by pudge
Ya know, it almost makes me wonder if the DH has partly been responsible for Frank's slippage from HOF numbers over the past several years. Good to see him hitting again.

I always thought it was a bad idea letting Frank build his
career as a DH. He should of been seeking help for his fielding
a long time ago. When he is out in the field he is a much better
player, and much more into the game. Last night he looked
like the Frank of old. And a very good move by JM late in the
game defenseivly with Konerko. Leaving Frank at first can open
up the DH position to options later on, after inter- leauge play.

hose
06-08-2003, 08:20 AM
Originally posted by ncfan
I always thought it was a bad idea letting Frank build his
career as a DH. He should of been seeking help for his fielding
a long time ago. When he is out in the field he is a much better
player, and much more into the game. Last night he looked
like the Frank of old. And a very good move by JM late in the
game defenseivly with Konerko. Leaving Frank at first can open
up the DH position to options later on, after inter- leauge play.

If you look at some of the past big men that played first base, you'll find quite a few that developed into good glove men .

I'm not talking a gold glover like J.T. Snow or Spezio but Stargell, Cecil Fielder, Gallarago held their own.

The bad part was that Frank would not make the move to DH to open up 1st base for Mark McGwire only to end up DHing after the trade never happened.

Keep Hurt at 1st and trade Konerko to Atlanta for whatever they can get.

chisoxt
06-08-2003, 09:20 AM
I'd go with Frank at first, at least for the time being.

Besides, maybe being a DH will help Paulie with his problems.

WinningUgly!
06-08-2003, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by chisoxt
I'd go with Frank at first, at least for the time being.

Besides, maybe being a DH will help Paulie with his problems.

The problem with Konerko DHing is that he won't be able to be used as a late inning defensive replacement for Thomas.

TornLabrum
06-08-2003, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!
The problem with Konerko DHing is that he won't be able to be used as a late inning defensive replacement for Thomas.

Prof. Chaos could bring Mike Squires out of retirement!

TornLabrum
06-08-2003, 11:30 AM
Just heard Julie Swieca report on The Score that when the Sox return home Tuesday, Manuel plans to keep Frank at 1B. What's the over/under on how many days before Manuel moves him back to DH?

SoxxoS
06-08-2003, 11:59 AM
Konerko shouldn't be anywhere near 1st base the whole season as far as I'm concerned. We should swap Konerko for another high priced conract for a position of need. There has got to be a player that isn't producing somewhere that needs a change of scenery. Anybody know one? Konerko has 2 more years left, correct?

Mammoo
06-08-2003, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by ChiSox14305635
I say stick with Thomas. His bat has started to come around, including 3/3 tonight with a homer, and his D hasn't been too costly. Maybe if Konerko focuses on his hitting only, he'll get his stroke back. But I say definitely, stick with The Big Hurt.

I agree 1000%!! :smile:

duke of dorwood
06-08-2003, 12:42 PM
Frank's play at first will undoubetly get noticed by NL teams. By accident, there are NL trade possibilities now. You may see Konerko yet-he is NOT tradeable. I hope Frank stays at first here.

gosox41
06-08-2003, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!

That's supposed to be in teal, right?

One way to solve this "defensive problem" is just to keep Konerko on the bench and let Daubach DH.

Bob

AngelLeroy
06-08-2003, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by gosox41
One way to solve this "defensive problem" is just to keep Konerko on the bench and let Daubach DH.

Yep. That's what I've been saying for awhile. Except I'd play Konerko when lefties pitch. He's been hitting them pretty well, and that might help to get his confidence back up and help him relax. Daubach needs the semi-regular playing time to be effective as well. Unless there is something I'm missing here, this seems to be a no-brainer...

...Then again it IS the Sox. :whiner:

WinningUgly!
06-08-2003, 05:42 PM

Bob

Works for me. My DH depth chart would be something like this...

1) Daubach
2) Rios
3) Graffanino

Konerko should only see an occasional start at 1B now, if it's against somebody that he's murdered over his career. Other than that, he can rot on the bench.

PaleHoseGeorge
06-08-2003, 06:12 PM

Konerko as DH would make the '03 Sox the weakest team in the history of the position. I would rather bring George Bell out of retirement (and listen to Flubbie fans giggle) than watch Konerko ground into double-plays all summer long from the DH position.

:nandrolone
"That Bell is a bad apple. I bet he even corked his bat."