PDA

View Full Version : How do we correct continual defensive problems

soxtalker
06-07-2003, 10:45 PM
The defensive / fundamental baseball problems that the Sox have had over the last several years imply that there is something wrong in the minor league organization as well as at the major league level. Any idea what those are and how to correct them. Can it be traced back to something KW does or doesn't do, for example?

lowesox
06-07-2003, 10:48 PM
I think they've looked for players who can hit and ignore their defensive liabilities. Getting rid of Valentin, Lee, Jimenez and getting a well-rounded CF, SS, 2b, and LF would be a good way to fix those problems.

soxtalker
06-07-2003, 10:55 PM
Interesting. And when they draft, they seem to focus very heavily on pitchers. So maybe that means that the position players that they do sign for the minor leagues aren't the best.

lowesox
06-07-2003, 11:04 PM
This thread makes me really miss Chris Singleton. He wasn't the greatest hitter, but he wasn't the worst either. But he could field. He could bunt (no current sox can). And he knew how to be a roleplayer. He's also a guy who'll never command a huge salary, but helps you win. Why did we trade him for Willie Harris again? Oh, right.... Kenny Williams is our GM.

Daver
06-07-2003, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by lowesox
Why did we trade him for Willie Harris again?

Because the CFer of the future was close enough to not offer him arbitration,and end up paying more than his market value.

Lip Man 1
06-08-2003, 01:04 PM
Simple answers for the Sox "fundamental" shortcomings.

1. Draft baseball players, not slow footed sluggers.

2. You can't (or don't) execute? You don't play until you do.

3. Hire a manager who makes these things a point of contention with him and not just pay "Lip service" to it every year for the media and the fans.

Lip

gosox41
06-08-2003, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by soxtalker
The defensive / fundamental baseball problems that the Sox have had over the last several years imply that there is something wrong in the minor league organization as well as at the major league level. Any idea what those are and how to correct them. Can it be traced back to something KW does or doesn't do, for example?

Makes you wonder about that boot camp atmosphere JR said was going to occur in spring training. i can honestly say that the Sox probably have more boneheaded plays then they did last season at this time.

Bob

gosox41
06-08-2003, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1

3. Hire a manager who makes these things a point of contention with him and not just pay "Lip service" to it every year for the media and the fans.

Lip

#3 really hits it on the head. I think JM is afraid of some of the players. This whole 'Let the team police itself' attitude that Manuel has is a joke and evidently not effective. It's just words for the real reason: JM is afraid of the players and has no control over the clubhouse.

Bob

gosox41
06-08-2003, 02:27 PM
This thread makes me really miss Chris Singleton. He wasn't the greatest hitter, but he wasn't the worst either. But he could field. He could bunt (no current sox can). And he knew how to be a roleplayer. He's also a guy who'll never command a huge salary, but helps you win. Why did we trade him for Willie Harris again? Oh, right.... Kenny Williams is our GM.

AS much as I hate KW, even I can't blame him sumping Singleton instead of overpaying him. If only he'd done the same thing with Konerko.

Bob

TornLabrum
06-08-2003, 03:28 PM

Lip

How about a don't promote until you can both hit and play your position policy?

Lip Man 1
06-08-2003, 07:32 PM
Hal:

You said it yourself. The reason the Sox rush the "can't miss kids," is because they are desperately still trying to justify the "White Flag Deal," and because as long as they aren't willing to have a large payroll some of these kids HAVE to come through.

Lip

CLR01
06-08-2003, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by soxtalker

500,000 volts to the rib cage of any player that commits an error should take care of the problem.

soxtalker
06-08-2003, 08:31 PM

Lip

Who are the draft picks that you are talking about? Borchard,
maybe Crede. Otherwise, it seems that they've had a philosophy of taking mainly pitchers.

xil357
06-09-2003, 09:01 AM
I think they've looked for players who can hit and ignore their defensive liabilities. Getting rid of Valentin, Lee, Jimenez and getting a well-rounded CF, SS, 2b, and LF would be a good way to fix those problems.

Four words to fix the defense:

Miguel Tejada
Carlos Beltran

hold2dibber
06-09-2003, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by xil357
Four words to fix the defense:

Miguel Tejada
Carlos Beltran

Deeppink for pipedreams.

In any event, is Tejada that good defensively? I've never been terribly impressed with his defense, but I'm just going on my own (limited) observations of him.

I can't see KC trading Beltran in the division and I believe his agent is Boras, so his chance of landing here for an extended time is pretty slim. But he would look great in a Sox uni.

soxnut
06-09-2003, 12:09 PM
How about scoring more than 3 runs a game?? :D: