PDA

View Full Version : *Official* Game Day Thread - Saturday, June 7th Vs. LA

voodoochile
06-07-2003, 09:31 PM
Please use this thread for all game related comments. The chat room will also be open if you are looking for something a little more interactive...

GO SOX!

lowesox
06-07-2003, 10:19 PM
This is going to be an important game for the Sox. We need to keep working on Bartolo's trade value.

lowesox
06-07-2003, 11:23 PM
Interesting: We're facing Wilson Alvarez.

MRKARNO
06-07-2003, 11:31 PM
I'm convinced that Maggs and the Big Hurt are out of their respective slumps

lowesox
06-07-2003, 11:35 PM
I wonder if LA would consider trading Dave Roberts.

MRKARNO
06-08-2003, 12:17 AM
Oh my lord. Bartolo is pitching a masterpiece (3 hits through 8, and it would have been only 2 if it weren't for lee's STUPID error) and no one can post anything about anything except unsubstantiated trade garbage. Especially that Crede, maggs and Thomas are all looking like they are out of their slumps at least somewhat (especially thomas)

voodoochile
06-08-2003, 12:20 AM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
Oh my lord. Bartolo is pitching a masterpiece (3 hits through 8, and it would have been only 2 if it weren't for lee's STUPID error) and no one can post anything about anything except unsubstantiated trade garbage. Especially that Crede, maggs and Thomas are all looking like they are out of their slumps at least somewhat (especially thomas)

Move Crede to 5th in the lineup tomorrow so he can give Maggs some support hitting behind him. If that RF HR doesn't show he is finding his stroke again, then nothing ever will.

Bartolo is on fire. If not for that error he would have used 70 pitches so far...

gaw
06-08-2003, 12:26 AM
How come since he is not playing during interleague games why didn't they drop konerko down to aaa to get his swing and head back?

MRKARNO
06-08-2003, 12:52 AM
Honestly, Konerko's play has not been major league quality. Put him on waivers, Thomas can start at first with Daubach as his backup, call up Aaron Miles instead. Also, I'm not sure if Miguel Olivo is ready. I think he might benefit from some time at AAA. Valentin is valentin and I think if we could trade him and get a AAA similar quality SS that has good major league potential, we should trade for them. Jimenez and Graff can take SS for some time.
Any clue on how quickly Valido (4th round draft pick/SS) can make the majors if he can? This could be key for the sox.

Just a note on the draft, how is it that the sox picked two Shortstops from the same HIGH SCHOOL???? in the 4th and 13th rounds. Valido and Hodges

spanishwhite
06-08-2003, 12:56 AM
Honestly, Konerko's play has not been major league quality. Put him on waivers, Thomas can start at first with Daubach as his backup, call up Aaron Miles instead. Also, I'm not sure if Miguel Olivo is ready. I think he might benefit from some time at AAA. Valentin is valentin and I think if we could trade him and get a AAA similar quality SS that has good major league potential, we should trade for them. Jimenez and Graff can take SS for some time.
Any clue on how quickly Valido (4th round draft pick/SS) can make the majors if he can? This could be key for the sox.

Just a note on the draft, how is it that the sox picked two Shortstops from the same HIGH SCHOOL???? in the 4th and 13th rounds. Valido and Hodges

I agree with you for the most part, but Olivo is ready.

He is hitting close to .260 and running his ass off.

I thought the sox drafted Martinez from Coral High.

MRKARNO
06-08-2003, 01:06 AM
Originally posted by spanishwhite
I agree with you for the most part, but Olivo is ready.

He is hitting close to .260 and running his ass off.

I thought the sox drafted Martinez from Coral High.

You're right, I'm wrong on that last part.

Olivo can't hit in the clutch situations, which is where we need him to hit. I like Olivo too, but I think Hawk Harrelson overrates Olivo. I guess if Olivo was higher in the order, he'd score more runs and be more of an asset to the team. Maybe he is ready and when Alomar gets back, we'll be in the ideal situation.

jeremyb1
06-08-2003, 01:14 AM
i'd have to say that tonight is the best we've looked in months if not all season. frank continued his torrid hitting, crede had his second strong game. what i liked the most was that maggs hit it to the right side twice and crede also hit it that direction once. i feel like if we can just get those three guys going, we could break out of this slump. if we get a few guys hitting really well, it will allow the other hitters to stop pressing and also allow them to see better pitches. i really hope we're coming close to a turning point here because we're running out of time.

Daver
06-08-2003, 01:21 AM
You're right, I'm wrong on that last part.

Olivo can't hit in the clutch situations, which is where we need him to hit.

Any offense you get out of the catcher is a plus,if you are relying on your catcher to drive in runs then you have a bad team.

Anyone that thinks that the catcher position is an offensive position better take a long hard look at the history of the game.

MRKARNO
06-08-2003, 01:29 AM
look at the Yankees who have had Posada for all these years and look at how many championships they won. Didnt Rod Barajas hit a WS homer for Arizona in 2001? The catcher is very important offensively IMHO, because they need to be able to hit reasonably well.

Also, I think that the sox hitters finally know what to do to break out of their slumps: not swing for the fences every AB. If they stop doing that, expect some winning on the south side

fquaye149
06-08-2003, 01:48 AM
the yankees would win with or without posada. in fact they would be a hell of a lot more successful without posada back there stabbing at balls in the dirt.

hell, my little brother could play any random position for the yankees and they would still probably manage to win the a.l. east. they are just built for success.

doublem23
06-08-2003, 01:59 AM
Olivo is doing fine, and while you are right that I would like to see him get another year in the minors, who else would catch?

:versatile
Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeere's Johnny!

voodoochile
06-08-2003, 03:10 AM
look at the Yankees who have had Posada for all these years and look at how many championships they won. Didnt Rod Barajas hit a WS homer for Arizona in 2001? The catcher is very important offensively IMHO, because they need to be able to hit reasonably well.

Also, I think that the sox hitters finally know what to do to break out of their slumps: not swing for the fences every AB. If they stop doing that, expect some winning on the south side

Um, by that standard, Olivo is more than major league ready. He hits for some power, decent average and has good speed. His defense is already excellent and improving. He doesn't need time in the minors, he just needs time...

doublem23
06-08-2003, 04:11 AM

I think just about anyone would take a catcher who hits .240/5/30 with excellent defense and a good game caller over a catcher who can hit .340/50/125 but sucks behind the plate. Of course, you can move the guy to first or whatever, but you get my drift. Catcher is the one spot a contending team can afford to have a weak bat. That said, you can't really hide that weak of a bat in a lineup, but if you got a couple guys who can't hit then you're ****ed.

MRKARNO
06-08-2003, 11:28 AM
Maybe my Olivo comments were unfair, but I still dont think he's up to potential. He could still further benefit from some time at AAA, but I guess that Paul and Alomar wouldnt work for too long. It never hurts to have a catcher who hits .300 and the sox will win a WS more quickly if they had such a catcher, which is what I think Olivo can do. Otherwise, I'm listening to Hawk too much about how good Olivo is

jeremyb1
06-08-2003, 01:56 PM
Maybe my Olivo comments were unfair, but I still dont think he's up to potential. He could still further benefit from some time at AAA, but I guess that Paul and Alomar wouldnt work for too long. It never hurts to have a catcher who hits .300 and the sox will win a WS more quickly if they had such a catcher, which is what I think Olivo can do. Otherwise, I'm listening to Hawk too much about how good Olivo is

you won't find too many guys that play olivo's defense and hit much better than he does this side of irod. typically you'll find a guy who hits and doesn't play much defense (lo duca, piazza) or someone who's all hit and no field (mj, brandon inge, etc).