PDA

View Full Version : Who has more trade value Colon or Loiaza?


gosox41
06-07-2003, 05:58 PM
It's a matter of time before both are traded. With Loiaza pitching lights out, I would assume the Sox can get a ton for this guy. Of course they'd need to trade him before he comes down to earth. But I'd say at this point the Sox can get a lot more in return with Loiaza then with Colon.

Loiaza is having a much better season. He is cheap ($500K with $500K in incentives), and he has a club option for next season. Any team in a pennant race would love to have this guy and can easily fit him into their payroll structure.

I'd try not to trade Loiaza to a big market team unless they make such a great offer just because the Sox need to keep a market open for Colon. I think only two teams, the Red Sox and Yankees, will go after Colon. I can seeabout 10-12 teams going after Loiaza including the Red Sox, Yankees, A's, Mariners, Houston, St. Louis, Montreal, Atlanta, and San Francisco.

Let the bidding war begin. It's never to early for a team to improve itself and fill holes, and as we've seen this season the Sox have a ton of holes.

Bob

doublem23
06-07-2003, 06:08 PM
I would think Colon, who is proven to be pretty consistent. His numbers are a tad low, but for his career, he's been a reliable front-line starter. As for Esteban, well, I'm sure everyone (Sox fans included) are just waiting for him to bust. Guys who post an ERA in the mid-4s for the first 5-7 years (I forget exactly how long he's been playing) don't usually go onto to post sub-2 ERAs the rest of their career.

TornLabrum
06-07-2003, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
I would think Colon, who is proven to be pretty consistent. His numbers are a tad low, but for his career, he's been a reliable front-line starter. As for Esteban, well, I'm sure everyone (Sox fans included) are just waiting for him to bust. Guys who post an ERA in the mid-4s for the first 5-7 years (I forget exactly how long he's been playing) don't usually go onto to post sub-2 ERAs the rest of their career.

Also count on him to lose weight once he leaves the Sox.

WhiteSoxWinner
06-07-2003, 07:10 PM
I think that the Loiaza has the most value only because more teams can bid for his services. A team like the Reds that may think they have a shot, but can't add a lot payroll can bid for Loiaza. In addition, a team like the Yankees or Red Sox might think highly enough to go after him. For Colon, you are really limited to top money clubs. Just my two cents...

MetalliSox
06-07-2003, 09:05 PM
Why trade Loaiza? I say pick up the option and next year build the staff around he and Buehrle.

chisoxt
06-07-2003, 09:06 PM
Loiaza is having a much better season. He is cheap ($500K with $500K in incentives), and he has a club option for next season. Any team in a pennant race would love to have this guy and can easily fit him into their payroll structure.

Yes, but given his history of fading once the season progresses, it would make sense to me to deal him now....PROVIDED THAT OUR IDIOT GM WOULD GET SOMETHING IN RETURN!!!!! Say, isn't it about time that KW gets pants by Billy Beane again? It's been a while... :smile:

gosox41
06-08-2003, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by chisoxt
Yes, but given his history of fading once the season progresses, it would make sense to me to deal him now....PROVIDED THAT OUR IDIOT GM WOULD GET SOMETHING IN RETURN!!!!! Say, isn't it about time that KW gets pants by Billy Beane again? It's been a while... :smile:

I'm all for selling high and trading Loiaza now. I've been advocating this for the last week and will continue to until 1. The team rips of an 8-10 game winning streak (highly unlikely) or 2. KW trades him.

Bob

harwar
06-08-2003, 03:36 PM
I say trade Loaiza as soon as possible before his bubble bursts and hes' bad again.Hopefully a bidding war can be started for Colon.King george of New York went to great lengths to keep Colon out of the red soxs' hands.It wouldn't surprised be a bit if he got it in writing that KW couldn't trade Colon to the red sox if he was allowed to come to White Sox in that trade last year so obviously orchestrated by stienbrenner.

thezeker
06-08-2003, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by harwar
I say trade Loaiza as soon as possible before his bubble bursts and hes' bad again.Hopefully a bidding war can be started for Colon.King george of New York went to great lengths to keep Colon out of the red soxs' hands.It wouldn't surprised be a bit if he got it in writing that KW couldn't trade Colon to the red sox if he was allowed to come to White Sox in that trade last year so obviously orchestrated by stienbrenner.

I don't know if the bubble is going to burst. Loaiza has been very consistent all year. Although he probably will not to continue to pitch sub 2 era he may well have learned how to pitch effectively. It takes some pitchers longer to learn the craft and the way Loaiza is mixing it up he may have reached that point where he can be an effective pitcher for years to come. If we can keep him cheap next year that may be a good option.

Colon needs to be moved as soon as possible. If we could package him with Koch I think Boston could definitely be an option. The question is do they have anything to offer and does anyone know in they have any prospects that we could use?