PDA

View Full Version : After the All-Star Game ...

soxtalker
06-07-2003, 01:37 PM
There have been many threads discussing the need for change in manager, GM, and/or managing partner -- and the apparent lack of any sign of movement within the Sox organization. I know that this is still over a month away, but I'm wondering if the All-Star Game being here -- with the additional national media focus -- makes changes until that point less likely. That's particularly true if the changes are really big (like KW or even JR stepping down). For trades, of course, the period between the All-Star break and the July 31 trading deadline is a critical period.

I'm just curious as to what others think about this. I don't think that any such thing is likely. If I had to guess, removing JM and moving some of the more experienced players are the most likely courses of action. In fact, if the latter (trades) is what management is thinking about, they probably are hoping that some of the players start hitting (even if we do fall out of contention), so that they have some trade value.

gosox41
06-07-2003, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by soxtalker
There have been many threads discussing the need for change in manager, GM, and/or managing partner -- and the apparent lack of any sign of movement within the Sox organization. I know that this is still over a month away, but I'm wondering if the All-Star Game being here -- with the additional national media focus -- makes changes until that point less likely. That's particularly true if the changes are really big (like KW or even JR stepping down). For trades, of course, the period between the All-Star break and the July 31 trading deadline is a critical period.

I'm just curious as to what others think about this. I don't think that any such thing is likely. If I had to guess, removing JM and moving some of the more experienced players are the most likely courses of action. In fact, if the latter (trades) is what management is thinking about, they probably are hoping that some of the players start hitting (even if we do fall out of contention), so that they have some trade value.

Why not start trading pitching now? Loiaza's value is never going to be any higher. Move Colon. A lot of teams love Garland. He's arbitration eligible and too dang inconsistent. Why not get something in return for him instead of having to pay an inconsistent head case a lot of money? I'd also take offers for Buehrle. If the right deal came along, trade him.

As much as I hate it, the Sox are going through another rebuilding phase. It's time to scrap the team and start over, from the GM (or maybe JR which I don't see happening) on down.

As I said earlier, there is something rotten about this team. The team's payroll is going to be siginificantly lower next season unless the team plays better. Hopefully by July 31 the team will start hitting. Then you can move anyone some of those guys.

It's too bad the one immovable guy is the guy I wanted to trade last off season and not sign to a contract extension: Paul Konerko. Now know one will touch him and right now he's eating up roughly 15% of the Sox payroll. The Sox don't have the margin of error other teams have to be making stupid moves like this.

Bob

soxtalker
06-07-2003, 02:23 PM
Maybe I shouldn't have put the second paragraph in my original post. I didn't want to take this thread down the path of who should be traded and when (although I find that to be a very interesting topic). Rather, I was wondering if the All-Star Game being here might be postponing changes in management. As I mentioned, things seem to be very quiet throughout the management chain; even KW's discussion of JM's future is pretty muted, and there haven't been many (if any) trade rumors. If someone high up was going to leave, they'd probably want to wait until after the All-Star Game.

gosox41
06-07-2003, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by soxtalker
Maybe I shouldn't have put the second paragraph in my original post. I didn't want to take this thread down the path of who should be traded and when (although I find that to be a very interesting topic). Rather, I was wondering if the All-Star Game being here might be postponing changes in management. As I mentioned, things seem to be very quiet throughout the management chain; even KW's discussion of JM's future is pretty muted, and there haven't been many (if any) trade rumors. If someone high up was going to leave, they'd probably want to wait until after the All-Star Game.

In that case, there's no doubt it my mind the All Star game is preventing any moves to dump salary or shake up the team. JR and his so called marketing tactics are the reason for this.

It boggles my mind how JR can put off winning because he thinks an extra month of attendence will make a difference to this team. If the right trade comes along now, then do it.

To look at it in another perspective. It's obvious the Sox are going to cut payroll big time next year. Hypothetically, if the Sox were to trade Colon today, they would save over $4 mill. off his salary and this can be applied to the team next season.

Instead, they'll probably trade Colon July 31 and save maybe half as much. For a team where every penny counts, it's time to think more big picture. JR doesn't realize this inaction by managment is eroding the Sox fan base as much as the losing is.

Bob

TornLabrum
06-07-2003, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by gosox41
Instead, they'll probably trade Colon July 31 and save maybe half as much. For a team where every penny counts, it's time to think more big picture. JR doesn't realize this inaction by managment is eroding the Sox fan base as much as the losing is.

Bob

I disagree. They'll also probably pick up part of his salary, too.

gosox41
06-07-2003, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
I disagree. They'll also probably pick up part of his salary, too.

And while they're at it, they'll probably get a substandard propstec in return.

Colon would be a good fit for the Red Sox. They can afford him and the Sox do not need to worry about picking up part of the salary. If the race between the BoSox and Yanks is close maybe the Sox can pry that 5 tool SS propsect everyone's been talking about, or at least start a bidding war between the two teams.

Of course this is KW we're talking about.

Bob

TornLabrum
06-07-2003, 05:11 PM
And while they're at it, they'll probably get a substandard propstec in return.

Colon would be a good fit for the Red Sox. They can afford him and the Sox do not need to worry about picking up part of the salary. If the race between the BoSox and Yanks is close maybe the Sox can pry that 5 tool SS propsect everyone's been talking about, or at least start a bidding war between the two teams.

Of course this is KW we're talking about.

Bob

So they'll get a AAA pitcher with a "power arm" and an ERA around 7.00 and pick up part of his salary.

jeremyb1
06-07-2003, 08:02 PM
Why not start trading pitching now? Loiaza's value is never going to be any higher. Move Colon. A lot of teams love Garland. He's arbitration eligible and too dang inconsistent. Why not get something in return for him instead of having to pay an inconsistent head case a lot of money? I'd also take offers for Buehrle. If the right deal came along, trade him.

i think its a bad idea to trade your 24 year old ace and a 23 year old oozing potential if you're going to rebuild. if i'm the gm, unless i have serious doubts about a player's talent and a lot of interest from every team i keep everyone 25 and under. that means crede, garland, wright, jimenez, borchard, olivo, buehrle, and sanders all stay.

lowesox
06-07-2003, 09:26 PM
I would keep Buerle, only because his numbers are terrible. If he were on pace to win 18-20 games, I'd trade him too. And Buerle is one of my favourites. But I'd trade him for two reasons

1) because he deserves it
2) because he's going to leave anyways.

That said, I'd get a new GM first, and if that GM got along a little better with Buerle then everything would need to be reconsidered.

StillMissOzzie
06-09-2003, 10:56 PM
I'll add my humble opinionion to those that say nothing will happen until after the All Star game, knowing JR's penchant for not making adverse news the lead story, especially if it would tarnish the All Star game, UNLESS there's an 8-10 game streak:
Winning - all bets are off, as this makes them back in the hunt, at least on paper
Losing - Maybe then, we back up the truck and start dumping salary

First to go would be Colon. I don't think the Sox want to pony up $8-10 million a year for ?? years to keep him, much as I'd love to. It would certainly signal another white flag, but he'd bring back some value

If they muddle along at 0.500 give or take, they wait until closer to the trading deadline, but Colon's still gone, followed by JM.

Sadly, I see JR's lapdog KW avoiding the bullet.

BTW, what ever happened to that insider prediction of KW resignation?

TornLabrum
06-10-2003, 06:08 AM
Originally posted by StillMissOzzie
BTW, what ever happened to that insider prediction of KW resignation?

Steff?